14 replies to this topic

#1 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

i need to know what u guys think on a good knife. thx hopefully i can get a deer to use it lol robert

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

Check out this posting for some ideas. HERE

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Just a good old Buck knife works for me.

#4 Granite

Granite

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

Knives are like ice cream everyone has a favorite flavor. I use a couple of knives that my Dad traded an old finn knifemaker for. He made them out of old files with carved elk antler handles. You can keep them razor sharp, plus they fit my hand really well no matter how I hold them, super tough combined with good balance makes them almost the ideal knife for me. Plus it reminds me of my Dad and makes me feel like he is there with me.

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

i have a schrade muit tool knife, i thought it was sharp. i cuts paper like crazy. when, i was tring to skin my deer last november, it didnt cut so well. my friend used his small buck knife and it cut like butter. he said something to the fact the metal type makes a difference but i dont know. but his knife was very sharp that i know thx robert

#6 Granite

Granite

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

What do you use to sharpen your knives? It makes a big difference on how sharp they get. Some knives are made out of harder steel so they hold a sharper edge that wears less. I use a set of wet stones to keep my old knives sharp and a diamond scraper sharpener for my new knives. You might want to check out the wyoming knife, it comes with disposable blades that are about as sharp as you can get. It has a gut hook and a caping blade. I think they even make one with a large handle that you can hold with winter glove.

#7 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

In my experience, the type of steel makes the knife. I have a Buck made with S30V, very hard stainless that holds an edge very well. I also would like an Ansa knife, made from a file. Not stainless, but the high carbon tool steel will hold an edge like nobodys business.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have a folding Buck that I just LOVE. I skinned and de-boned 3 deer with it last year. I have also had several Gerber's that have served me well.

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:17 AM

Old boker folding knife with 2 blades. Kind of a trapper style.

#10 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

I'm going to get the havalon piranta (sp) it uses scalpel blades the are change able. Right now I'm using about three different ones on deer and I just use my browning trapper style for skining yotes and cats.

#11 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

I've used everything from a 6" Buck knife to a 2" Case pocket knife to clean. I think that over the years I've settled on a 3" drop point Kershaw folder for all my game animals.

#12 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

Last year I got a Kershaw Speed Bump. Stays very sharp, very sharp.

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:11 AM

thx for your replies. i have heard for a in field dressing a deer the knife shouldnt be more then 3 in so that u can dress it easier pred master looks like his is about that too. i just was surprised how much sharper my friends knife was conpared to mine. his cut the hide like butter. robert

#14 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

I'm going to get the havalon piranta (sp) it uses scalpel blades the are change able. Right now I'm using about three different ones on deer and I just use my browning trapper style for skining yotes and cats.

Just be sure to use Havel brand scalpel blades not those cheap ones on ebay.. I bought some of those to try them out, and about every 3rd one is sharp and they break super easy, some wont fit the handle good and are sloppy.. I wont use anything but Havels.They are stronger, sharper and will last longer than any other scalpel out there Those cheap ones are too brittle.. They tend to break. And guaranteed you do NOT want to loose part of your blade while guting a deer.. Cuz you KNOW you will find it next time you put your hand in there.. I skin with my scalpel but gutting I leave for knives... Sides I have hubby do it :doh[1]: Wouldnt want to get dirty you know LOL...

#15 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:22 PM

I have a folding Buck that I just LOVE. I skinned and de-boned 3 deer with it last year. I have also had several Gerber's that have served me well.

Heath, if not the model 110 Hunter, then what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users