27 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

My 11-87 arrived and I'm going to go out to our spot in about two hours and get some rabbits or something with it. I like to use a full choke and some 2 3/4" loads to reach out to them in the brush. So here's the question. In the manual it says "A barrel seal activator is used on the model 11-87 Super magnum when using 2 3/4" loads. Removal of the barrel seal activator is RECOMMENDED when using 3" or 3 1/2" loads."Who does this and is it necessary? The seal activator is already on there, but I'm just curious in case I want to put some of my 3.5" in there for any coyote stands.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

The "Barrel Seal Activator" changes the operation of the gas system to allow the use of "low powered" 2.75" shells out of a 3.5" shotgun.The pressures of the 3.5" shell are high enough that the gas ports are smaller in the barrel, compared to a 2.75" shell.The small gas ports do not allow enough gas through the system to function as a semi-auto with the lighter loads.You should remove the "BSA" as recommended, to prevent damaging the shotgun and causing pre-mature wear and tear.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:44 AM

Ok, so why did my gun not work...So I put the barrel seal activator in there since I went out to shoot 2 3/4" shells. I check against the manual and everything looks to be in correct position. I load up the mag tube with the magazine plug in there, so two in the tube, one in the chamber. I fire round 1, it goes boom but fails to pull the next shell. I tested 3 different loads and brands, all fail. It didn't move the shell AT ALL and I cannot figure out why. There should have at least been some movement.Second issue. After I check that the spring in the mag tube was in correct, and put the gun back together...I put another round directly in the chamber with two still in the mag tube. Pull the trigger. Click, click, no boom. I've taken it apart, taken the trigger assembly out, everything looks to be working fine. So now it won't load shells or fire. I'm lost and pretty frustrated.Anybody have any ideas?
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

Double check and make sure that the parts are in sequence, make sure that the piston/piston seal are facing the correct way. Attached File  11_87_Piston_Seal.jpg   3.91KB   60 downloads NOTE: MUZZLE to the right. The "barrel seal", or "O" ring goes on last.The parts out of sequence and/or backwards are the biggest reasons for a failure to fire.If the gun fires, and does not cycle, that is another problem.I would remove the "barrel seal activator" and then function test.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

Everything is on correct. The O ring looks like it has gotten stretched. Is that normal? It slides and fits on to the activator instead of snuggly along the tube.I have some pictures of the trigger group and the inside of the receiver...how far is that rail supposed to stick out (bottom pic)?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

I found your problem.....It's the Bud Light! :signbummer8tl:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

Yea, I knew that had something to do with it. At least it wasn't COORS light! Haha.Seriously though. Nothing looks out of whack? The trigger group functions outside the gun.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Everything sounds good but the "O" ring. It's real name is "Barrel Seal", it seals the gases from the barrel.The barrel seal needs to fit the magazine tube, not the activator.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hey Yodel, thanks for all the help. I'll look into a new barrel seal. Do you have any ideas regarding the not firing issue? It fired a few rounds (manually put into the chamber) and then didn't out of nowhere.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#10 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

If the barrel seal is not in it's proper place, or was on the activator, then the action could not close. If the action does not close, the safety designs that prevent the gun from firing out of battery will not let the gun fire because it is "out of battery". You can remove the barrel seal and then fire the gun, to see if it works. But it will not cycle without the barrel seal.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

So the bolt would have looked closed even though it wasn't? Just enough gap to not let the pin hit the round?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

The bolt will look closed, but the operating handle will be slightly to the rear, which lowers the locking block, which blocks the firing pin.

#13 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

Is the gun new?I had a problem with one of my new autos not loading using the 2 3/4 loads. Both the gunsmith and the factory told me to "Shoot the Piss out of it" to break it in. Sure enough after a couple boxes of the higher base 2 3/4 loads it shot the lower base skeet loads just fine. The manual on my new xtrema 2 says the same thing but it cycles everything just fine, right out of the box.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

It is brand new. The O ring (barrel seal) is definitely stretched. And I don't know if this is normal, but the barrel seal activator moves a lot. As in it is not tight on the tube at all, is this normal?So Rogue, you're saying that if I keep putting rounds in the chamber, it might magically start feeding/cycling rounds?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#15 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

It is brand new. The O ring (barrel seal) is definitely stretched. And I don't know if this is normal, but the barrel seal activator moves a lot. As in it is not tight on the tube at all, is this normal?

The barrel seal should not be stretched, it needs to seal in the gases to cycle the action. It is ok for the activator to move.

#16 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

Yodel, you're going to be my lifesaver on this, or gunsaver. I'm going to get some extra barrel seals to keep on hand, because if it gets stretched this easily I know I'll need them. Hopefully this will be cause and therefore an easy fix. Thanks again.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#17 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

They don't normally stretch this easy. Just be careful when installing and try to baby the barrel seal. You should only need one spare at a time.

#18 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Why yes Jeff! :hellohello9il: What I meant is that the lighter skeet rounds don't have enough lead or force to move a new action, if it was broke in it may work. On my 1187 I never shot it without the seal, but my buddie strictly shoots 1187's and has for years and told me that he dosen't use the seal, it's not needed and couldn't believe it untill he tried it...worked fine.

#19 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

I gotcha, I was just kidding. Are you saying he shoots the gun without the barrel seal or the barrel seal activator?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#20 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:30 AM

Yes, he shoots it without the rubber O ring.

#21 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:13 AM

Well this would throw out this whole conversation then. Trial and error, I guess it will be.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#22 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

I took the gun to J&G Gunsmithing in Rocklin (who I highly recommend) after being messaged on Calguns by one of their smiths. They do warranty work for Remington, so I knew this would end up free to me. I took advantage. In less than a week it was done.The first problem was that the gas system wasn't installed correctly. (I'm trying to figure out what exactly - since it looked assembled as according to the manual and online schematics and Yodel). Afterall, All I did was throw on the barrel seal activator in the correct order, put the barrel seal back on, attempt to shoot 3 rounds, take off the barrel seal and activator, replace (with new part) barrel seal and barrel. No dice.The second problem was the disconnector, which also trips the feed latch was bent in such a way that it wasn't contacting the feed latch. That was straightened and was like that from the factory.I shot it this weekend and it shoots all loads very nicely and cycles beautifully.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#23 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Jeff:I got the same problem with my 1100, I may have to take a ride to Rocklin and visit J&G. I spoke to them about my brand new 1100 and they first recommended for me to give it a real good cleaning and see if that helps the cycle. I just received my new Shooting magazine and they had a complete article about Remingtom 1100's and keeping the darn thing nice an clean to use low power loads. Since the 1100 and the 11-87 come with the same manual I thought this might be of some interest. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just throwing out info.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#24 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

Ask for Ian if you go, he's a good guy and a Calgunner.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#25 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

Jeff: thanks I do that.Bob
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#26 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

i believe we would all help you, but i see only one budlite. more is required for better info :drinks: i am curious of the problems and answers cause i am lookin at a n 11-87 to purchase now.and i have beer, plenty of beer. :)
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#27 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

Well too bad you're in Redding!!! We can meet up at Grey Lodge during duck season!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#28 Gregg

Gregg

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, fish'n, hunt'n ,golf and all boats, sail, row and power.Go Giants.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:38 PM

Beretta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users