12 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

I use to have a doinker and it was great. However on my new bow I am not sure what size I should get? Does it matter? How does one go about figuring out what kind of stabilizer they should get? I am using my bow for hunting primarily. Thanks!

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

I asked the same question to my local bow shop. It is one thing about archery that I have never understood.. The guy said for target and 3D shoots he recommends certain lengths depending on the weight of the bow. For hunting he recommends a smaller one if any at all depending on the distance of your comfortable shooting range. I use a smaller one and I shoot 80 yards with my bow and hit the bull every time. Plus you want something that fits tight so it does not get hung up in thick areas and is light if you’re going to carrying it around all day in the field. Not sure if this helps but it's what the guy told me. So basically I'm still confused but he set me up with one that works great for my set up.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

I am shooting out to 60 yards at the moment but I am taking some shots out to 80. I am still getting my form after being out of the game for a while. I will probably go to a shop and try some out before making the purchase. Thanks for the info.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

Was looking at my recurv (real bow) and theres no place to put one of those thingies :roflmao3[1]: :wedgie[1]: If you can try difrent ones out . :crazy: You just said that :crazy: ! ok ill go back to sleep.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

I use to have a doinker and it was great. However on my new bow I am not sure what size I should get? Does it matter? How does one go about figuring out what kind of stabilizer they should get? I am using my bow for hunting primarily. Thanks!

BullsEye-what bow do you shoot? Alot of the new bows on the market require very little as far as a stabilizer is concerned. Most of the new Mathews, BowTech and PSE bows can be shot without a stabilizer and be very accurate. There are a few reasons to shoot with a stabilizer. If the bow is noisy, vibrates, jumps, has an arrow quiver mounted or is not balanced (top heavy causing the bow to tilt to one side or the other) these should give you cause to use a stabilizer. Nock an arrow in the bow and hold it up as if shooting, between your thumb and index fingers only. If the bow tilts to one side or the other, try different small stabilizers to steady the bow. This is best done at an archery store near you as they should have an assortment of different sizes and weights. Any bow with V.L.T.(vertical limb technology) should shoot with hardly any vibration or noise. The shorter stabilizer you can get away with, the better for hunting purposes. Good Luck!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#6 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

The shorter stabilizer you can get away with, the better for hunting purposes. Good Luck!

x2. Diamond's "Wild Thing" stabilizer has had great reviews but it's ugly as hell. Seems like alot of guys use the Sims S Coil (good price) and Fuse Axiums. Maybe it would help if we knew what make/model your new bow is?
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hey GuysI am shooting a Bowtech Diamond Victory with a 29 inch draw. It has parallel limbs and I am using a 3 arrow Kwikee Kwiver. I am thinking about getting a large bow quiver because 3 arrows isn't much. As far as poundage it is between 60 and 70 I haven't check it but I know it shoots fast. I am using a Fletch hunter release and a tru glow site with a large peep. I also have a wrist band on the bow with a NAP Quick Tune 1000 arrow rest. I hope that helps. I have been out of archery for so long I am trying to get my form back but I am out of touch with all the equipment. Thanks again for the help.Bullseye

#8 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I BOW HUNT AND I ALSO HUNT WITH A 17 & 243 FOR PREDATORS ,PIG AND DEER

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

hey bullseye i shoot mathews close to same over all shape as yours stabilizer is not for ballance vibe an nose that been said on light bows some times you us weight to help ageinst shake an longer for tork i assume you shoot in propper form open hand ect if so like me you want light as posable i use donker for vibe

#9 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I BOW HUNT AND I ALSO HUNT WITH A 17 & 243 FOR PREDATORS ,PIG AND DEER

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

i also see your up in pasadena go to range at rose bowl alot of helpful pep up there i shoot there some times if you ever get into north oc hi-tec archery infullerton lot of help an good pep what shop do you deal with i know of one in monrovia not to helpful

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hey GuysI am shooting a Bowtech Diamond Victory with a 29 inch draw. It has parallel limbs and I am using a 3 arrow Kwikee Kwiver. I am thinking about getting a large bow quiver because 3 arrows isn't much. As far as poundage it is between 60 and 70 I haven't check it but I know it shoots fast. I am using a Fletch hunter release and a tru glow site with a large peep. I also have a wrist band on the bow with a NAP Quick Tune 1000 arrow rest. I hope that helps. I have been out of archery for so long I am trying to get my form back but I am out of touch with all the equipment. Thanks again for the help.Bullseye

That's a great bow Bullseye! How many arrows do you need when in the field? Are you taking a long trip over several days? The reason I ask is that most bowhunters take too much gear with them, arrows included, especially local hunters doing a day hunt. If you can't kill that deer with one arrow, I'd have to say that you shouldn't be taking the shot. A larger quiver just adds more weight, tends to make the bow lean to the left or right (whichever side you shoot) and usually adds more noise to the bow. If you do add a large quiver on your bow make sure to align your arrows to where the vanes are not touching as this makes a hissing noise when you shoot. There are also alot of dampening items you can use to lessen the noise. I've hunted for years using a hip quiver and when on extended hunting trips, I took my Cat quiver back pack loaded with 8 arrows. I never liked anything weighing down the bow like an attached quiver. There's been too many times when I've had to hold my bow up at full draw for what seemed like an eternity (3-4 minutes) waiting for that perfect shot on an elk or mule deer. Ever been stared down by a bull elk at 10 yards and had to wait for him to clear the brush? Been there 4 times and luckily came away with 2. If I'd had a quiver mounted on the side of my bow, it would've made my 3 1/2 lb. bow close to 5 lbs. or more. That's alot of weight to hold up at full draw! One thing is for sure! Practice, practice and practice! As bowhunters, we owe it to the animals we shoot to give them as quick and painless a death as possible. Too many times in my local area, I've come across a young forked buck that was gut shot or shot in the neck, leg or hip and had to endure the slow bleeding or broken leg because some hunter didn't take the time to put an arrow thru it's lungs or heart. At least a rifle hunter can get a second shot in right away. Oh well, good luck with your shooting Bullseye!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

I went in the shop in Monrovia and wasn't impressed. Everything was double the price of most other places and it took forever just to get greeted and asked if I need help. I am shopping via the internet at the moment but there is a place that I like in Ojai. I go to the range at the rose bowl as often as I can its a great place to practice but not many compound bow users mostly long and recurve bow shooters. I have been eyeing the black widow bows for a little while. They are beautiful.

#12 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

maybe we can getogher one weekend for practice i could meet you up there the range i practice at is an old ran down range in whittier narrows i just go there because its close an ive been going there since the 80s just pm me an let me know

#13 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

So I went to the shop in Ojai Pergsons Archery and tried a few stabelizers. I found one that was great however its to heavy. I am going to hold off on the stabilizer till I get a better bow quiver and go from there. I also want to get myself a drop away rest so I have a few things that I need to get done. Plus On top of it all my bow string started fraying. Pissed me off so I am adding a new one of those on hopefully this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users