17 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

I went out this morning for a few hours, got there around 5:00 AM and had some bites but nothing hooked up. Just after dawn I got my first striper, second one came around 9:00. First one was 2 1/2 pounds, the second was smaller. I got these on worms. (bloodworms and nightcrawlers, the bite on anchovy has been sloooooow) Attached File  IMG_5130.JPG   96.17KB   49 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5131.JPG   82.2KB   53 downloads

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

your slaying the fish out there congrats!

#3 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Im going to try and get out there this weekend. I have not cought a fish in months.. PS Nice fish..

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

Aquaelvis; What pound test is your line....what size hook and how much weight. I got you now buddy!! :hellohello9il:

#5 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Del.... you are a LOCAL! I can't share that kind of info with a LOCAL! If I told you about my gear... you'd go fishing on my duct! :good: Naw, just kidding... kind of ;) I am using 12 pound test. So far it has been plenty. (I have tried to break my line when snagged and only been able to once) I am using p-line ccx. (good stuff) I use a double hook rig. (hi/lo) I get those at Bob's Bait bucket in Bako. You can make them too. I use 2 rods. I use 1 or 2 oz weight, depends on the water flow. (low flow = low weight) There is a good bite off the 119. I have had luck on the North side, walking down to the curve. But that is all the locations I gan give out with out having to kill you! :hellohello9il: Head out there and catch some, then post about it here! (with pics)

#6 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

Oh yeah, hooks - I use #2's, 1/0 and 2/0. It depends on the bait, I like the 2's for worms, 2/0's are nice for anchovy.

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Thanks AquaDuct; I really like strippers to fry up and eat. One evening in Oct. several years ago, my son, brother and I caught 29 strippers all on top water lures. Released all. None over two pounds but lots of action because they normaly hit the lure several times before they catch the hooks. All fish on Rebels. (hand painted of course.)

#8 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

That is a good haul... too bad they were so small. I have been lucky, think I have only caught a handful that were under-size. I have tried lures and i can't get a thing out there. I must have spent $50 on lures recently and have yet to get a bite! You should head out and give it a try again. I have had some good days out there. Best bite has been just after dawn until 8:00 or so. They still bite up to around 10:00 but it is slower. (after 10:00 they still get caught, but it is too slow and the sun is too hot, not worth it for me) We'll expect a full report soon :signtripledogdare2wf:

#9 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

Alright, I think you have to take a mandatory break from the 'duct. :signtripledogdare2wf:

#10 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

That is a good haul... too bad they were so small. I have been lucky, think I have only caught a handful that were under-size. I have tried lures and i can't get a thing out there. I must have spent $50 on lures recently and have yet to get a bite!

Hey Jeff, have you met any of the local game wardens yet? If you do how about quizzing them on their thoughts about the lead ban. Just be sure you are 100% legal while fishing. I think that these F&G Wardens finance about a half of the salaries connected with the Taft Court just from fishing citations.

#11 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

Alright, I think you have to take a mandatory break from the 'duct

No can do... I am an addict. I think I might go out this evening, been a while since I was out in the evening but things have been busy around the house and I have not had time. Evening is better than nothing. Think i will be on dawn patrol Saturday too, but I'll be gone before the yahoos show up. (weekends are a ZOO at the duct)

have you met any of the local game wardens yet?

Yes. I met one out off the 166. Funny, I had caught two and released them. (about an hour before he showed up) He asked what we had and I said, "nothing, I caught 2 so far but both went back. One was legal and the other was not" He says, yeah I know, I've been watching you since you got here. Doh! We were legal, had my license in the tackle box but put it on as he walked up. He didn't mention that. Checked our licenses and ID's and was good. I asked him about the lead ban and he didn't say much. (don't know if those know or care. Until they get the final memo I guess if does not affect them much) All he would say was; "We are here to enforce the laws, what ever the law is, I'll enforce it" I keep hearing people say, "I'm not worried about the bad, the won't enforce it, etc, etc, etc" I think... what are you smoking!? If you don't think those guys will enforce it, you've never met one of them. I know a guy who got cited for being on his buddy's ranch without a signed permission form. The warden knew the owner, the guy knew the owner as well. Was tight with the family, knew all the kids, wive's names, etc. He knew all about the property AND he was CHP and he still got cited! (the DA ended up dropping it but the land owner had to write a letter) These guys aren't going to pass up a single chance to nail us. Another story, my bro-in-law (CHP) gets a guy for DUI. (up near Tejon) In the bed of the truck is a big buck. The guy had been out for days tracking it and was drinking a bit after the kill. Well, the call went out on the radio and since there was a big deer in the truck the tow guy did not know what to do. Warden hears the call and shows up. There is no tag on the deer. The guy has his tag on the center console of the truck, sitting in plain view. But it is not ON the deer. Warden cites him for it, takes the deer AND all his guns! My bro-in-law said he had like 4 rifles, 2 of which were really nice. (scopes, etc) Even my bro-in-law tried to talk to the warden, thinking this guy was screwed enough with the DUI, now he is loosing his deer and his guns and getting a criminal citation on top of that! Warden did not care. Even though the guy had his tag sitting right there. This warden is now a Lt. in this area. :signtripledogdare2wf: Nope... once that ban goes into law, you won't find me with lead. No way those guys are letting anyone slide. When ALL local LEO's hate the wardens you know there is a reason. No one gets off.

#12 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

I like it when the Wardens upholds the law. We have all said, "I can play their game if I know the rules." I was fishing the Duct one day and across the canel were several Asians fishing and keeping everythig no matter what size. They had a large ice chest and putting there fish in it. The fish cop checked me and ask me how the group on the other side was doing. I suggested he check their ice chest. The Warden called for backup (Sheriff) and cited the group. Four adults. While the Warden was still there I left. Who knows what the Warden told them about me.Really I will not be out to the aquaduct to fish. I have had a stroke and being around moving water is probly not a real smart idea. I was a fishing guide for 8 1/2 years for large mouth bass in San Diego. That was BS. (before stroke).

#13 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

These guys aren't going to pass up a single chance to nail us. . . . Nope... once that ban goes into law, you won't find me with lead. No way those guys are letting anyone slide. When ALL local LEO's hate the wardens you know there is a reason. No one gets off.

Welcome back to California! I think a lot of us have horror stories about CF&G enforcement.

#14 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

I like it when the Wardens upholds the law

I do too but I think they need to be reasonable. They know when a guy is up to no good (like the guys you told the warden about) But there are also times when reasonable people make honest mistakes... like not putting the deer tag on while it is still breathing.

Welcome back to California

It is funny, in WA they have so much more open space, so much more wildlife but their wardens are as much about education as enforcement. They give warnings and answer questions.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Are you taking home and eating any of those stripers yet? If you aren't you're missing out on some great eating.

#16 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

Not yet, I did pick up a fillet knife. I haven't pulled the trigger on cutting one up yet. Soon though. I have been watching videos online on how to do it. I might ask around next time and see if anyone fishing around me knows, then I can get some help.

#17 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

Aquaelvis; I would be more than happy to show you how to fellet your fish. I have felleted more than my share for sure.If I knew how to PM you I would. we need to just get together. I am retired soooo I am available anytime...EXCEPT early in the morn. I sleep in till 8:30am.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Sleeping till 8:30 is the sign of a good retired person. :signbummer8tl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users