• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

Any of you guys have experience with this ammo company? its really cheap but it has been getting good reviews lately, however it did get very poor reviews for the first few sets of reviews. I'm looking for cheap 22 hornet ammo and this stuff is $15 for 50 rounds, seems like too good of a deal to be true, any help would be great. ThanksEthanPs. Here is the link http://www.midwayusa...leitemid=133870
This is Remington Country!

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like they've been loading ammo for quite a while and they load for competitive shooters so I'd guess it should be at least decent ammo. Even if they aren't the best they're still only a couple bucks more per box than .17 HMR ammo plus the cases are reloadable.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 silka762mm

silka762mm

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Amateur Radio, Sailing, Rifles, Bike Riding (bicycle)

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hi,I've ordered 2 boxes of these last week and today I went to the range to try them... What a surprise..I can't load them in the chamber because the diameter of the bullet is to big. The guy a the range told me maybe they are manufactured for machine guns. So I left the two boxes to range master.http://www.midwayusa...leitemid=368114Carl

#4 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

FYI per Carl's link. He was shooting 308 Winchester. The range master must have though it to be 7.62x51NATO spec. These are basicly the same with some higher pressure and headpace in the 7.62x51. The 7.62x51 will fit in any 308WIN but you feel a small difference. .308 is the spec for both bullet diameters.Sure you have a 308 not a 7mm-08? Did you mic the bullets to see what the problem is? The reviews on Midway show shooters of 7.62 an .308WIN lloving these things.

#5 silka762mm

silka762mm

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

No I didn't measure it. The case has an identical shape and size of a regular .308win but the only difference is the bullet itself. It has a shape more like a football. I tried to fit the bullet into the muzzle and it stops half way between the tip and the case.-Carl

#6 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

That is good actualy from the muzzle. If it went farther then the lands and grooves wouldn't fully engage. You want the bullet to begin grabbing just after the taper visualy ends on the bullet. You had problems actualy chambering the rounds though? Your bolt wouldn't fully close with these rounds?

#7 silka762mm

silka762mm

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

Exactly I was not able to close the bolt. The diameter of the bullet was definitely to large to fit into the barrel. -Carl

#8 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

The problem may not have been the diameter of the bullet, but the length of your chamber..308 is the diameter of all .30 caliber ammo including the NATO stuff.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#9 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Zactly what i was thinking... maybe the bullets were just seated to long?

#10 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Ya I would measure the OAL of the round it might have been loaded longer then your weapon could handle.

#11 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

If the bolt won't close, check the ogive on the bullet. If you can see where the rifling is leaving marks on the bullet, the OAL is probably off. If there are no marks on the bullet, it would have to be head spacing, IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users