6 replies to this topic

#1 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

This weekend marked the second weekend of trout season in the Easter Sierras. My bother and I head out Friday at 2:30am for the loop. We were at Convict around 8:00 and found it WAY more crowded than usual. The reports have been so good that more that average numbers of locals were out getting their fix. After maybe an hour, my brother had landed a decent 3lb rainbow, shortly followed by my slightly bigger cutthroat. We stayed until noon, landing a few more pan-sized rainbows.We then took the show up to Silver lake. The wind was fierce for our light tackle, so we played it safe my staying along the beach near the marina. I landed 4 rainbows within the hour but the wind was getting to be too much so we called it for the afternoon. The evening bite was at June Lake. Totally blown out, I caught 1 little guy and wrapped the day.Saturday morning was busy. We started at Gull, then Silver, then June and found them so busy and crowded that we ended up exploring new spots along the shores of each lake neither of us had fished before. The morning sucked..and we knew it wouldn’t be any better at Convict since a fresh batch of tourist had likely arrived during the night. We asked the local tackle shop about Virginia Lake. He said it was open and producing if you didn’t mind walking ¼ mile thru the snow. We made the drive, then hiked in only to find the lake frozen solid with 3’ of ice. We started thinking that this weekend was doomed. We decided to look a little closer and walk across the lake. We found about a dozen holes that has been drilled thru but frozen over about 1 inch. We kicked them thru and decided to do our first ever ice fishing. This turned out to be the best day of fishing in more than 3 years. We were landing rainbows and Browns like crazy, and the best part was we had the entire lake to ourselves. The only others were skiers hiking up the last of the snow pack. I would bet that between the two of us, we landed 20 or so during the 4 hours we spent there, releasing the little guys of course. It ended up being a fantastic day. The only down side was the sunburned face. You can’t hide from the sun when you fish on the ice… :censored[1]: :D

#2 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

Sounds like an awesome time, wouldn't mind heading up there myself. Please tell me you have pics and just haven't gotten around to posting them yet, right? :censored[1]:

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

There must be a little bird setting on my shoulder because he just told me that you were headed to that lake FIRST next year. Am I right. Let me see if I got it right. Great fishing... no crowd.... no wind at the bottom of the ice hole...probly a beautiful setting also.

#4 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

Every place we went was too crowded to enjoy. Finding Virginia empty, and with holes drilled everywhere, was just our good fortune. The scenery was incredible. Even watching the hikers ski down the mountain was fun.I will have few pics up tonight! :D

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

Unfortunately the Internet has ruined a lot of what used to be great fishing. The same thing with hunting spots has happened. Not so much by members of forums but by sneak readers. Thats why we have a members only forum and the public land section is not available to the viewing public just members.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

Yep, Virginia Lakes is one of the PEARLS of the Eastern Sierras that you can drive to & I have been going there for decades / more yrs than I care to remember. One of, if not thee favorite of my family & friends!Timing is everything, (along w/effort) with most things in life & you definitely nailed it. Good for you! I too like the members forum for the very reasons John says. It really is insane the # of people giving away their favorite fishing or hunting holes. Totally insane in today's world! Either fishing & hunting is a low priority to them, or they don't care, or they don't realize what they're doing, or are just plain ignorant. Something! :pot: SSB, not referring to Virginia as it is no secret, not even close. LOLAnd, Congrats again on your Outstanding trip :censored[1]: Frank

#7 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Whew! :censored[1]: I wasnt sure if you were referring to me. I felt like a tool for a second there..I never give up my secret spots!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users