• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chris M

Chris M

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Cars & Trucks, Audio/Video, Computers.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

Took my mother and 7 year old nephew fishing w/ live anchovies on the Berkeley flats yesterday. We ended up with a 28" Halibut & a 28" Striper in the box. We had a couple released fish, a couple broken lines, a few came unbuttoned, and I have a new 'one that got away' story.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

Congrats on the fish. So whats the new story and where are the pics?

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

:censored[1]: :D

#4 Chris M

Chris M

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

Congrats on the fish. So whats the new story and where are the pics?

Pics attached. (forgot the camera, so we used a cell phone)The one that got away...2 rods go off simultaniously, the reels are absolutely screaming. Something hit the bait hard and just took off - I'm thinking a good-size striper because that's typical behavior for them. At first I thought we ran in to a school of fish, and had a double-hookup. Then I notice that both lines are going in the exact same direction at the exact same speed. I already knew this wasn't going to be good. The lines were tangled, and there was no way to tell which one the fish hit. I grabbed the stronger of the 2 rods, and no sooner did I get it out of the rod holder, the line goes limp. I reel in both lines, and check the damage. The line broke right at the hook. I use the 'Perfection Loop' when live bait fishing for halibut, and have never had it slip or break before. It wasn't the knot that gave, it was the line right at the hook, turning the loop into two strands. Last year I was able to bring a ~50lb shark to the boat on the same type of rig, but this time, I think it didn't hold because of the 2 drags (each set at ~2.5lb)Attached File  ATT936806.jpg   11.18KB   59 downloadsAttached File  ATT936809.jpg   10.47KB   61 downloadsAttached File  ATT936803.jpg   10.24KB   62 downloads

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,315 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:28 AM

Nice! That is some good eating and fun catching right there. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

Great pictures. I would not have known that you took those with a phone camera. Isn't progress great. When my son was young we fished the San Diego bay. He is 42 years old now. Still remembers catching a large halibut with a broken thumb. Yep, good times for sure.

#7 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:many lots of sport hobbies, such as mtn biking, snorkeling, surf fishing,hiking, and most recently, archery.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

Wow! First of all, the cellphone pix came out great and you guys really looked like you had a ball fishing. :signbummer8tl: :roflmao3[1]:

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

I love the sound of a singing reel. Nice pictures. Those fish will taste great! To bad about the one that got away. But isn't that what makes you want to go back? I remember I was fishing off of the Morro bay t pier and I fought a mud marlin for almost 5 hours strait. My buddy in the mean while caught a leopard shark and two bat rays. I had a fish on and was helping him net these fish with my free hand. It was a blast. I lost the bat ray but the fight was great. I had bruises from that fish in my leg where the pole was digging in for about a week.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

:signbummer8tl: That sounds like you guys had a good day . You got two of the best eating fish there. Stripers are cool when they just pick up and go.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 Chris M

Chris M

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

1/2 the Halibut went to Virginia, to my dad. He's never had Halibut before. The striper is getting a 'bath' in some Yoshida's and going in the smoker.

#11 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Well I really got to go get me some fish now great pics and fish :smiley_kewlpics: :signgreatreport3kg:
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users