• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:many lots of sport hobbies, such as mtn biking, snorkeling, surf fishing,hiking, and most recently, archery.

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

Is it legal to use casting net in california ocean beaches, piers or lakes for the purpose of bait? Can't find the ref. page in DFG HANDBOOK.

#2 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

I think they are legal. I am not sure what all the "fine print" is though. (limits, times of day, etc, etc) I have heard people talk about using them to catch shad around here. I found this site:http://www.rickstack...ts/CastNets.htmThat shop is in CA and they don't make any mention of it being for out-of-state buyers, etc. I was planning to head down to the local bait shop and ask/buy. Maybe someone else has more info?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,387 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:42 AM

For fresh water the answer is no.4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.( a ) Approved bait fish may be taken only byhand, with a dip net, or with traps not over threefeet in greatest dimension. Such bait fish maynot be purchased, bartered, sold, transferredor traded; or transported alive from the locationwhere taken. Any other species taken shall bereturned to the water immediately. Traps neednot be closely attended. Dip net use: A dip netmust be hand held, and the motion of a dipnet shall be caused only by the physical effortof the operator. A dip net may not be movedthrough the water by any mechanical force ormotorized device.For salt water it's very limited.28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets notgreater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shinersurfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may beused north of Point Conception to take such species.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Well that sucks! I was wondering about the live transport thing. That is stupid, I was going to go up to the lake and get a bunch of shad, take them home (in a bucket) and freeze them. (on a cookie sheet with plastic wrap holding them in place) Once frozen I was going to bag them up in ziplocks and use them as bait for the aqueduct. I thought it would be easier than the dog poop anchovy that I have been buying. That stuff is like a frozen block of bloody chovy, you have to break them off the block. I guess I can throw them in a bucket of ice and take them home that way.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,387 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Call some local bait shops or any Asian markets and get some fresh sardines they work as well as anchovy and stay together better.

Time waits for no one--

#6 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:many lots of sport hobbies, such as mtn biking, snorkeling, surf fishing,hiking, and most recently, archery.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

Growing up as a child in the seventies I thought Communism was restrictive. Hell, now that I'm an adult, I'm realizing that Californian Democracy/Democratics is worst. I wonder if it's illegal to fart in public in this state. It wouldn't surprise me......

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

Here is a little more ocean fishing info courtesy of (http://www.dfg.ca.go...eanfish2008.pdf):28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets notgreater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shinersurfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may beused north of Point Conception to take such species.28.85. Beach Nets. Beach nets not over 20 feet in length with meshes at least 7/8 of an inchin length may be used to take surf smelt north of Point Conception.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,387 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

Didn't read my earlier post bullseye. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

I did john but you forgot the Beach nets so I figure I would repost some info.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,387 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

No big deal. He was talking about catching bait and I didn't put that one in because it wasn't bait related. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#11 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

If "HAWAIIAN THROW NET is equivalent to a CASTING NET then where exactly is "NORTH of POINT CONCEPCION?"

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

Check this link outhttp://www.dfg.ca.go...fishing_map.asp

#13 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

Here is a little more ocean fishing info courtesy of (http://www.dfg.ca.go...eanfish2008.pdf):28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets notgreater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shinersurfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may beused north of Point Conception to take such species.28.85. Beach Nets. Beach nets not over 20 feet in length with meshes at least 7/8 of an inchin length may be used to take surf smelt north of Point Conception.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong. If I use a Hawaiian Throw Net =Casting Net, it has to be NO GREATER THAN 3FT. in diameter?Or may I use a 6-7 ft. diameter CASTING NET legally for catching bait?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users