9 replies to this topic

#1 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image These nest raiders started invading my feeder about a week ago and have been putting pressure on my songbirds since i have the varmint hunter out for a tune up i have been dialing in the .22 cal benji, dam after only 250 shots this gun is droppng grackles at 35 yrds every time and these brown hats at 45 ft are easy i blasted 2 other but they kicked into the posion ivy and thats where they blead out i can't exsplain how smooth this gun is it's silly accurate and no where near broken in

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

Nice shooting! That Benjamin is a cool little rifle. I've been picking off a few starlings as of late myself.

#3 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

I am not sure which country you are posting from, but the US Federal Migratory Bird Act protects the species you are shooting. You should check your regs just to be on the safe side. They are probably very easy to shoot because nobody else but you is shooting them legally. Most States have just the English Sparrow (House Sparrow) and starlings unprotected.db

#4 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up i will look into it but i will tell you this they are a songbirds nightmare a nest thief , but if there protected i will have to stop

#5 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up i will look into it but i will tell you this they are a songbirds nightmare a nest thief , but if there protected i will have to stop

The Cowbird is actually a nesting parasite. The female cowbird lays her eggs in the nest of the host species and lets the other bird raise the young. They don't really steal the nest, they just don't engage in the parenting of the offspring. The cuckoo family does the same thing. When I was photographing wildlife in Australia, I spent some time photographing a White-breasted Woodswallow nest that had been parasitized by a Palled Cuckoo. It was weird to watch the female Woodswallow feeding this baby bird the was already a third bigger than she was. I also witness the same thing once here in Fremont, California with a Yellow Warbler feeding a young Cowbird twice her size.db

#6 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

I understand what your saying but as the fledglings grow i have read that cowbird chicks will toss songbird chicks out of the nest in the quest for all the food . The male is a very good looking tough bird .

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

I don't think I ever seen those birds around my place before. The bird that I hate the most out of everything is the swallows mud nest on my house grrr I knock them down all the time nastiest creature alive in my book.

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

The base has biologist trapping the cowbirds and they dispose of them. As for the starlings are they legal to shoot? I hate them things they are crapping all over my vehicles and are living in my roof I hear them scratching around at night. I put up screens to keep them out. Might have to put the BB gun to work.

#9 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Starlings are a green light! Smoke'em! I have a bunch of fruit trees in my back yard and they really can damage the crop! They come in by the 100's and sound like they are having a big party in the trees! I bought the Gamo Viper to shoot them, those little shot shells are awesome!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

Starlings as well as English Sparrows are legal to shoot year round in California. I have a starling distress call on my FoxPro and it actually brings the birds back for another look. Especially if one of their own is down on the ground. :signtripledogdare2wf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users