28 replies to this topic

#1 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

After many helpful emails with Shooter John, I ordered a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20cal.. I have to say, as always he was very knowledgeable and dead on accurate on what I was looking for. Not to mention very helpful.. Thank you John! This baby is not only gorgeous but she shoots like a dream. I think I will try some other pellets (the JSB) but for now I'm shooting the ones in the pic. Being that is was a busy week for me I didn't get to shoot it much but I plan on making up for lost time this weekend. The target pic below is the first 6 shots right out of the box. I was not using a rest, just standing and shooting. The blue dot bullseye is the size of a dime and I was shooting @ 20 yards. The last shot touching the bull was after a quick 3 clicks to the right.. I can't wait to see what this baby will do once I get her dialed in. Attached File  Pelletgun1.jpg   15.26KB   26 downloadsAttached File  Pelletgun2.jpg   22.29KB   30 downloadsAttached File  Pelletgun3.jpg   10.69KB   27 downloads

#2 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

looks dialed in enough for varmints around the house and yes it is a handsome gun

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

Rick, it looks great and with those JSB's you'll be putting them through the same hole. But you should try different pellets as some guns like different things. Plus you need 250 to 500 shots through her to break her in. It is so much fun to be able to sit and plink. That gun has the best airgun trigger around and are so smooth shooting. It looks like you're ready for some jack rabbit shooting.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

I really couldn't be happier! Of course my wife can't understand why a 34 year old man is so excited about an air rifle.. But I don't understand the excitement over shoes and purses! :hellohello9il: I'm going to order some other pellets and a cleaning kit right now. I can't wait to pop her cherry this weekend! (I am talking about my air gun :smiley_turkey_gobble: )

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

It all comes down to being able to shoot with just the air we breath. That kid feeling just doesn't go away when you get an adult air rifle in your hands. :hellohello9il:

Time waits for no one--

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Nice rig!!! Do you mind if I ask how much it set you back?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:31 PM

Great choice. John is right, they are amazing rifles. I bought the same gun a couple years ago, and I've got some really nice guns, but if I could only keep one, it would be my .20 cal. R9. It is absolutely death on ground squirrels out to 70 yards. Probably even farther, but my longest kill with it so far is 70 yards.Here's a couple pics of her handy work.Posted ImagePosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#8 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:48 PM

It amazes me how adult air guns relive stress after a few hours of shooting nothing matters , nice pic's VA

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

I love the way those squirrels are admiring your gun Cliff. :smiley_turkey_gobble:

Time waits for no one--

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

Nice rig!!! Do you mind if I ask how much it set you back?

Matt,The R9 Goldfinger's cost $499 plus $20 shipping and that comes with a 4-12 Bushnell scope and it has a Reccord trigger the best airgun trigger made. I don't think you can beat it for a package deal.

Time waits for no one--

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

Bummer, that's a Cadillac and I'm on a Buick budget. Great looking rifle. :smiley_turkey_gobble:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:29 AM

Matt,The R9 Goldfinger's cost $499 plus $20 shipping and that comes with a 4-12 Bushnell scope and it has a Reccord trigger the best airgun trigger made. I don't think you can beat it for a package deal.

Where did you get it Rick? As a kid I had Benjamin, Crossman and HighScore pellet guns that were a blast. I even had a break action Diana my dad brought back from WWII. The bore was smaller than .17 (I think) and larger than a BB and I had to carry it with the muzzle up so the BB wouldn't roll out. It was built like a fine rifle with beautiful wood and bluing. Here's one for you, I had a .22 forearm pumper made by S&W that I paid around $125 for 35-40 years ago at a store named FedCo that later became a Costco. Always had problems with the seals in that gun and didn't shoot it much.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

Steve,He got it from Straight Shooters they are anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper than anywhere else.Link

Time waits for no one--

#14 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

Steve,He got it from Straight Shooters they are anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper than anywhere else.Link

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm getting tired of worrying about whether or not I'll be able to get non-lead bullets for the guns already have and the ones I want to get. This looks like an alternative while waiting to see what happens on the no-lead scene.SteveH

#15 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

Well I did it! I ordered a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20cal. Sure hope that my kids and grand kids out live me so all these guns will have some place to go after I go. Forgot to order pellets. What would you guys suggest for shooting rabbits off my front lawn.Woodog

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

The only pellet I think is the JSB Exact's. They are a straight shooting and killer pellet. Welcome to the airgun fun club. :yikes[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#17 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

I love the way those squirrels are admiring your gun Cliff. :yikes[1]:

That was the second time that day I caught those suckers looking at my gun. :1106:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

Yep you have to watch out for those guys or they'll chew your stock off! :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#19 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

Well I did it! I ordered a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20cal. Sure hope that my kids and grand kids out live me so all these guns will have some place to go after I go. Forgot to order pellets. What would you guys suggest for shooting rabbits off my front lawn.Woodog

Congratulations. You are going to have a great time with that gun. I'm leaving in the morning and won't be back until next saturday, but .20 cal. JSBs have been a little hard to find. They may have come in by now, but if you can't find them let me know and I'll send you a tin of 500 when i get back. The Beeman FTS pellet in .20 is a decent second choice.

#20 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

That is a great looking rifle. Just a little pricey for an air rifle..... :roflmao3[1]:

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

But it's not just an air rifle it is an adult air rifle. Believe me when you shoot one you'll know the difference.

Time waits for no one--

#22 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

After many helpful emails with Shooter John, I ordered a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20cal.. I have to say, as always he was very knowledgeable and dead on accurate on what I was looking for. Not to mention very helpful. . . . . Thank you John!

My Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20cal arrived yesterday and I finally got the package opened today only to find that there are no pellets supplied with the air rifle! :crazy: I assumed from looking at Camoghost's photos that at least a tin or two of pellets would come with the gun. Now I will have to drive to Bakersfield tomorrow before I can play with the new toy. The instructions caution against dry firing the rifle for fear of possible damage to the barrel, so here I sit. :roflmao3[1]: It weighs more than I expected, but not bad and is very solidly made. The wood is nice and the stock is nicely shaped, but for some reason they used a dark brown stain that isn't very attractive to me. The Bushnell Banner, Dusk & Dawn, 4-12x40 with AO is nice, but seems to be a bit overkill for a 50 yard air rifle??? A nice fixed 4x scope seems like it should do the job. The muzzle brake, if that is what it is, has no vents which surprised me. It looks more like a silencer, maybe? At what distance should this thing be sighted in? Can't wait until tomorrow to drive 100 miles to get pellets and skip all of my Sunday chores just to shoot the thing. :wedgie[1]: Woodog

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Maybe you should have PMed me and I would have told you like Rick to order pellets. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#24 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Maybe you should have PMed me and I would have told you like Rick to order pellets. :wedgie[1]:

Now you tell me! :roflmao3[1]:

#25 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

"If you lived in Bakersfield, you would already be here!" Haha, you have to live in this area and drive Taft Hwy to know that that statement is funny. :roflmao3[1]: Anyway, congrats on your airgun Woodog! If you decide to get rid of one of your safes next time you upgrade, let me know I may be interested (I wish I could keep up with you, they have to be getting full). Keep us informed as to what you think of it. I have been thinking the same thing with the lead ban. Air may be the way to go for a while until we can get non-lead ammo with some regularity.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#26 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Anyway, congrats on your airgun Woodog! If you decide to get rid of one of your safes next time you upgrade, let me know I may be interested (I wish I could keep up with you, they have to be getting full).

There is no keeping up, there is just running out of time and your have to collect things faster! Enjoy your children, wife and family (and that scruffy little dog) and someday when the kids are all gone you can do whatever you damn well please with your $$$, a lot of which will go to pleasing grand kids. I'll keep you in mind for one of the old gun safes if you don't mine the old bones of some old dogs.Woodog

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

but seems to be a bit overkill for a 50 yard air rifle???

I guess you missed VarmintAir's 70yard shot up above in the post. I've shot starlings and crows at a diary at over 80 yards with a .177 R9. We we under a depredation permit to remove the birds to keep them from craping in the feed. I've dropped cottontail at over 60 yards with my .20 R9. Nothing like hunting cottontail with an airgun. :signgreatreport3kg:

Time waits for no one--

#28 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:07 AM

now all you need is one of these Posted Image to practice your off hand. Its made by gamo. I have shot squirrels at 70 yards consistently with my .177 beeman. I love my beeman. Then again I've had break style airguns since age 10 :lame:.

#29 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:39 AM

I have to get some pics posted of the groups I'm shooting @ 30 yards.. Almost a single pellet hole group, it's incredible. This is the BEST "yard shooter" I have ever owned/shot. Dropping starlings and sparrows in ridiculous numbers.. Can't wait for bunny’s to be open, I have a load of them. I would recommend this rifle to anyone who hates to miss. It's truly incredible and I couldn't be happier. Just like SJ told me, I feel like a kid again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users