#1 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

Has anyone here shot a yote with a .38 +P+? I'm thinking about giving it a chance since I have a box of it laying around. I know they're supposed to be pretty devastating on humans. Any stories?

#2 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

They will do in a coyote out to about 50 yards. The longer the barrel the better. To much powder burns outside the barrel on a 2 in. and probably on a 4 in also. Better bet is a 6 in bbl. and better yet 8&3/8 in. S&W K38, Model 19, Model 66. etc. I'm a S&W guy when it comes to wheel guns. You just can't make the others as smooth as you can the Smiths. I used to be the range master for a PD in my former life and after having to wrestle and handcuff the perps that had been shot with a .38 sp. 200 gr round nose, we did an extensive study on all types of .38 ammo to pick a more effective duty round (without changing guns). We settled on the +P 156 gr. lead hollow point (FBI's bullet of choice at the time). The shootings we had using this round usually only had one side to the story. Our tests showed this round mushrooms out to about 50 to 55 cal in ballistic gel while retaining most of the weight. Our human experiences were about the same however none were at 50 yards.Dan

#3 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the info. That was just what I was looking for. I shoot a lot of .38 wadcutter at PPC matches. I'm sure you know what those are. I've got more than a few S&W revolvers that will fit the bill. I'm thinking my 6" Model 19 for the next hunt though. Thanks.D

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

Great question and answer. I was thinking about using my K.38 as a backup weapon also. Not only back up, but if he comes in within twenty-five feet and stops to look around, he will get a +P for sure. I have fired master scores in competition with my K.38 when in the Navy for 20 years. I was normally the only *wheel gun* on the entire firing line. I loved it.I received a great holster yesterday so now I am set for gun power. Yep, +P for me and my coyotes. I hope. My next one will be my first one.LOL.

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the info. That was just what I was looking for. I shoot a lot of .38 wadcutter at PPC matches. I'm sure you know what those are. I've got more than a few S&W revolvers that will fit the bill. I'm thinking my 6" Model 19 for the next hunt though. Thanks.D

Oh yeh, I shot in the old Cal Combat League for about 10 years back in the 70s and early 80s when the old eyes were still up to it. I think I still have a few old trophies in a trunk somewhere. The PD I worked for ponied up for entry fees, ammo and transportation. Fat chance of that happening now! Dan

#6 High Desert 'Yote Sniper'

High Desert 'Yote Sniper'

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

Has anyone here shot a yote with a .38 +P+? I'm thinking about giving it a chance since I have a box of it laying around. I know they're supposed to be pretty devastating on humans. Any stories?

Yeah...shot several, two at three feet that finished a couple of down but not quite dead dogs with 125 gr, JHP's. and one healthy one at about 20 yards whom I had to track for about 150 yards. I don't use them for healthy dogs, or even carry them now. I switched to .357 Mag 125 JSP. The JHP are really good enough for dogs, but this is serious lion country up here and I hate suprises. The JSP rounds have better penatration on heavier bodied animals.

#7 harry carey

harry carey

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

.38+p + the Lyman 1970 manual shows 6.8 unique with a wadcutter at 1295 fps, 6" barrel. k38. 38 special. this was before 38/357 were neutered. IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOOT +P+ IN A 38 SPL YOU SHOULD USE 357 BRASS TRIMMED TO 38 LENGHTH. Use a trim die and a hacksaw and file or a case trimmer.. 357 brass has more metal where it counts, a fact not told by the gunwriters, 357 brass IS stronger not just longer. 357 brass was designed to be used at more than three times the pressure. the old loads were 45k cup, current loads are 35k cup, SUPERVEL was 46k cup. very rough on K frame guns. for an extra margin of safety use trimmed down 357 brass for defense loads and hunting loads in a 38spl. after you trim the 357 brass to 38spl length weigh it and you will see that 357 brass weighs about 12 grains more than 38spl brass at the same length . more metal at the web. for what it is worth... if you are trying to duplicate the original 357 loads you need to know that the first 357 mag brass was LARGE PISTOL MAG PRIMERS !!! and was changed to small primers early on. for 357mag loads Herco and AA9 give highest velocities. see the old Lyman manual for Herco. this is for L and N frame S&W guns .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users