9 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

I was out this morning from about 6:30 to 10:30. I got this 2 pound 13 oz one early and only had one other bite all day. At least it is something :flag: Attached File  IMG_5118.JPG   97.92KB   61 downloadsA guy that was out there when I showed up to the second spot told me he snapped his line twice. Said there were BIG bites around dawn but died after that. He said he was using 25 pound test and was bringing 50 pound out tomorrow. I think he was on crack. He was using night crawlers and the hook looked pretty small. Who knows, maybe I'll try that spot first next time I go and see if there are monsters there.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

I've caught a few whoppers in my younger years from the river near where I lived. I once got a free ride home from a CHP officer that worked with my uncle because he saw me carrying a large striper I had tied to my bike. I was walking the bike because the fish weighed 52 pounds. I wish I still had the article from the newspaper with my picture in it. He took me by the bait shop on the way home because he said no one will believe you caught a fish that big without a picture. I caught it on a sinking Rebel on 15 pound test. It wouldn't fit in my landing net so I had to kick it up onto the shore to land it.

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

Man that is HUGE! I wish you had the pic. You should see if anyone has that paper in their achives. Here is one that was caught in the duct near Bakersfield on 4/7. It is ONLY 32 pounds! (50 inches) Your 52 pounds must have just been a BEAST! (especially for a little kid... hell it was probably the same size as you!) :flag: I want to catch a monster, that is what keeps me going out there. I really want to catch something over 10 pounds. Then I'll shoot for 15, 20 and so on. (of course I'd take a 25 pounds now!)Attached File  893_TitoAguilar_standalone_prod_affiliate_25.jpg   124.47KB   68 downloads

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

That guy is holding that fish a little close to the camera and at arms length. But it's a nice fish all the same.Here's a 25+ pound striper I trolled up in the Sacramento Delta.Posted Image

#5 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Holy mole! I want a 25 pounder... think I'll go back to the duct tonight! (I know I am going early tomorrow for a couple hours)

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

Holy mole! I want a 25 pounder... think I'll go back to the duct tonight! (I know I am going early tomorrow for a couple hours)

Do you work? Haha. You've been fishing every morning it seems like! Lucky!

#7 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

Do you work?

Nope :flag: I was a realtor when I was up in Washington but we moved back down to Cali in Nov. There is no use in getting my license for CA, the market is too slow to make any money. I started testing with the CA dept of corrections about a year ago. (they are sloooooow) I also started testing with Kern County Sheriff as a CO. That looks like it should happen here in a couple weeks. I expect to begin the academy on May 19. When I was in CA (born and raised, left when I was like 32) I was a swimming pool contractor and I owned a pool store. (retail, service, supply, repairs, remodels, etc) There is not much going on in that industry either, with the housing in the toilet . Who wants to put more money into their home? So I am stuck waiting for background investigations, etc. So that is kind of why I started getting into hunting and then fishing. I have too much time on my hands. I watch my son a lot (22 mnths old) but I have a lot of free time. (in a place where I don't know that many people) So, getting out of the house is vital for me... or I go insane :D

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Darn nice fish, John! I can honestly say I've never caught anything that large before.

#9 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

I agree that is a nice fish john :flag:

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

Is that you shooter john? You don't look nothing like your avatar. :D lol, I guess if I looked like my avatar, you would all be trying to SSS me. :flag:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users