• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

It's been a while scince I've owned an air rifle so I stoped by wally world after work and picked one up. I've only owned two springers in the past and I never cared much for either one but I figured I'd try a different brand name and see what happens. I should've known better than to pick a crossman over a beeman but it was a bit cheaper and had the same velocity so I got it. What a peice of junk! I figured the trigger wouldn't be all that great anyway, but the box said it has an adjustable trigger.....there is no adjustment screw on the gun where the diagram shows it's supposed to be! :yikes[1]: I thought I was going to bend the barrel when I had to break it over my knee to get it opened for the first time and it was still very hard to break after putting 50 shots thru it. It wasn't the spring tension but something mechanicaly wrong. I'm taking it back tomarrow but I just don't know if I want to try out that beeman or just get my money back, swear off springers, and go find a Sheridan/Benjamin.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

The Sheridan/Benjamin will be loud! Plus they only get about 650fps. Beeman has several levels of quality but I think you'd be surprised at the difference from what you got today. Peeker Seeker has a Beeman that's from WalMart I think. I have a .22 cal Beeman I got from WalMart that I bought to hunt turkey with because I didn't know I could have used my .20cal. :censored[1]: But I still use that Beeman and i loan it to people that want to shoot with me and don't have one. It is a great gun for the price and is much more accurate and powerful than my Sheridan I have used for decades. I would recommend you try the Beeman.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

How much are the Beeman's at Wally World? All this airgun talk has got my attention, but I don't want to spend $400 or more (not yet anyway).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

I've got a LOUD Sheridan in .177 that I've had since I was about 12. Besides the loudness factor...that thing is DEAD on still. I only use the iron sights on it, but man at backyard distances, that thing will go through a starlings eye.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#5 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

Yeah my Sheridan Blue Streak is loud too. Seems difficult to pump too but gets the job done. I need something quiet in a .22 cal, any suggestions?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

Beeman in .20 or .22 cal that way you can hunt turkey with it in CA. They are much quicker than the Sheridan and only one stroke to cock it.

Time waits for no one--

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

Beeman in .20 or .22 cal that way you can hunt turkey with it in CA. They are much quicker than the Sheridan and only one stroke to cock it.Here are two of my Beeman's. The top one is my R9 Goldfinger it's the best in fact I have two in different calibers. One is .177 Cal and the second is a .20 cal which I would recommend. The lower one is a .22 cal GS 950 I believe it was called and I got it from Walmart for like $200 with 3-9 Bushnell scope.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

I took that crossman back but the only beeman they had looked like someone had bought it and returned it already so I passed on it. I don't really care how loud my next air rifle is I just want a good accurate gun with a decent trigger pull and a price tag that is under 200 dollars.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

Look at gamo Matt big 5 should have them. I loved my gamo 1,000 fps .177 I killed ground squirrels with it.than it was stolen :roflmao3[1]:

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Big 5 has good deals on Beamons thats where Peeker got his . they have great sales at times. ( on air rifles) Been looking to.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:52 AM

I have an RWS model 52 that is wicked on squirrels and it will shoot under a dime at 20 yds with Beeman Kodiak Extra Heavy pellets. It's a little on the heavy side for hauling around but does great just around the back yard. I have had it for 20 yrs and have had the mainspring replaced for free only once.Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#12 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Got my Beeman from Big 5 vary pleased with it, it kills, accurate. feels like a deer rifle nice ajustable trigger. 3x9x 40 Beeman scope. It put kitty # 5 asleep one shot. the other night. #1 gun for the cotton tails.. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

That's a nice lookin air rifle peeker. I ended up getting the Gamo Big Cat and I am not impressed. I think it's the scope and I am waiting on a little more info from Woodog before doing anything else to it (He has the same one and was going to change the scope and trigger). POI just moves around too much.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

same thing with my friends, and just about everyone I've heard of with that Gamo.Which Beeman did you get Peeker?
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

The lower gun is my post above is the older version of what Peeker has I believe. It is a .22 cal GS 950 and I got it from Walmart for like $200 with 3-9 Bushnell scope. The newer versions have the longer forearm to cover the breech break action. But it's powerful enough for turkey. I dropped one dead with it one shot opening day a couple years back. I like my Beeman R9 Goldfingers better but this is a fine shooting airgun especially for the money.

Time waits for no one--

#16 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

That's a nice lookin air rifle peeker. I ended up getting the Gamo Big Cat and I am not impressed. I think it's the scope and I am waiting on a little more info from Woodog before doing anything else to it (He has the same one and was going to change the scope and trigger). POI just moves around too much.

The new scope didn't help much at all. I gave the old Gamo scope to one of the guy's kids at the Gathering. It is really a piece of do-do, but he was happy. I still have an after market trigger to install, but I ran out of interest before I got around to it. The Beeman is just so much more gun than the Gamo and it shoots where you aim.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Steve it is true that you get what you pay for. When I show people what my Beeman's will do and how quiet they are it really sells them.

Time waits for no one--

#18 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Steve it is true that you get what you pay for. When I show people what my Beeman's will do and how quiet they are it really sells them.

Ain't that the truth!

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

It really is when it comes to airguns. I've had people that have shot other airguns and then they try mine and they say, "that is the smoothest cocking gun and the trigger is beautiful!"

Time waits for no one--

#20 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

It really is when it comes to airguns. I've had people that have shot other airguns and then they try mine and they say, "that is the smoothest cocking gun and the trigger is beautiful!"

You're selling it to me, John and I haven't even shot it or seen it yet!I looked online at Walmart and they don't offer any right now, unfortunately. If I could keep it under $200 for a .20 or .22 cal that would be nice!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Yeah California WalMarts stopped selling them. Too bad as it was a decent gun for a very good price.

Time waits for no one--

#22 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

I looked online at Walmart and they don't offer any right now, unfortunately. If I could keep it under $200 for a .20 or .22 cal that would be nice!

John can lead you to the best price available for a Beeman R9 Goldfinger and it is worth it, but you could buy a good Savage/Stevens center fire for the same price. Of course you couldn't shoot the center fire in your backyard. Don't waste your $$$ on a cheap air gun. Been there and done it and it doesn't feel good. The Goldfinger is built like a quality deer rifle and you won't be disappointed with the way it shoots, looks and feels.Woodog

#23 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

John can lead you to the best price available for a Beeman R9 Goldfinger and it is worth it, but you could buy a good Savage/Stevens center fire for the same price. Of course you couldn't shoot the center fire in your backyard. Don't waste your $$$ on a cheap air gun. Been there and done it and it doesn't feel good. The Goldfinger is built like a quality deer rifle and you won't be disappointed with the way it shoots, looks and feels.Woodog

How much quieter would you say your goldfinger is than the Gamo? Also, you said the new scope didn't make it much better. Is the POI still moving around by inches? I wasn't expecting dime groups, but 2-5" off is just crazy. I was hoping to use this on squirrels sometimes, but 2-5" off is a miss. I shot my 10/22 this weekend, 3 shots at 3 squirrels all dead (one was a head shot cause it was poking out of the hole and all I could see was it's head). All were under 50yds, and this would have been perfect for the pellet gun, but not the way it is shooting.

#24 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

How much quieter would you say your goldfinger is than the Gamo? Also, you said the new scope didn't make it much better. Is the POI still moving around by inches? I wasn't expecting dime groups, but 2-5" off is just crazy. I was hoping to use this on squirrels sometimes, but 2-5" off is a miss.

The new scope is much better, but the flyers are still a big problem. I sighted in at about 50 feet and with the old scope I was shooting +/- three inches. The new Barska would group around one inch then I would shoot a flyer three inches off every four of five shots or so. The trigger is really bad and, hopefully, the new trigger will help. The Beeman has more of a .22-like crack to it while the Gamo noise is mostly spring sound (which is an ugly sound if your are used to shooting powder propelled projectiles).

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

Woodog that crack will go away as you shoot the Beeman more. It still has some oil in it that has to work it's way out and it's dieseling. It will come down to a low thud sound when shooting it. Depending on conditions it can take a tin of pellets to completely get rid of the dieseling. Most are done within 100 shoots.

Time waits for no one--

#26 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

The new scope is much better, but the flyers are still a big problem. I sighted in at about 50 feet and with the old scope I was shooting +/- three inches. The new Barska would group around one inch then I would shoot a flyer three inches off every four of five shots or so. The trigger is really bad and, hopefully, the new trigger will help. The Beeman has more of a .22-like crack to it while the Gamo noise is mostly spring sound (which is an ugly sound if your are used to shooting powder propelled projectiles).

I just don't get the fliers? I thought other guys were reporting these to be really accurate and a good buy for the $$. I know you get what you pay for, but these fliers SUCK! I haven't picked mine up since the first day cuase it just disgusted me. As far as the Ugly sound I know what your talking about. Almost like something is broke (I guess it's just the sound of the spring). I may try to get another scope for it, but since you already tried that, I may just cut my losses. Sucks, cause I was very close to buying a RWS Diana, but I bought this instead.

#27 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:51 PM

My beeman is a GH 1000. Shot strait out of the box. Its going 1000fps so it dos make a crack. Its so acurite Im on the first 5oo rnd tin of pellets . It loves the crosman premium grade pointed pellets . At 30 to 40 yds its all in the same hole. And it goes through cats and bunnies. PS. Its a .177cal. The scope is verry nice and made really good. Clear and easy to adjust. 3x9x32 beeman ,bushnell. This rifle has forced the 10-22 to retire ..
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:44 AM

Peeker get yourself some heavier pellets than what you're shooting and that will drop your velocity and no more crack.

Time waits for no one--

#29 t/c223encore

t/c223encore

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Huntin, Fishin and riding my dirtbike.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Let me guess.............The Crossman Storm SXT.... Took mine back...5 to 6 inch group at 30 yards.t/c223encore.

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Yep...........junk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users