10 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

I went out this morning and tried a couple spots. I got out to spot #1 around 6:00AM and dropped lines. I got bit right away and it was a small cat. (I can't remember the weight) Attached File  IMG_5103.JPG   70.51KB   61 downloadsHe goes back and I fish some more... nothing. I get to spot #2 at 7:00, drop the lines in, set up the chair and wander off a bit to tinkle. (yes, I said tinkle) Right when I start to go, so does one of my rods. I figure, "I have time to finish" but I did not, thought my rod was going to snap so I ran over with my zipper still down and reeled in a nice striper. This guy was 5 pounds 14 oz. He fought like a trooper, must have been 10 minutes to get him in! Attached File  IMG_5105.JPG   103.52KB   61 downloadsThen nothing so back to spot #1. I stayed there from about 9:30 to 12:30 with little action. (others were there and had the same) I did get 2 more cats, one was 5 pounds, 2 oz and one was 8 pounds, 4 oz. I gave the big one to some guys that were there, in trade they agreed to take a picture of me Attached File  IMG_5109.JPG   87.32KB   60 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5111.JPG   105.35KB   60 downloads Just before leaving I got another striper, like 16-18 inch, 2 and a half pounds I think. Attached File  IMG_5113.JPG   72.1KB   59 downloadsSo in total, 3 cats- 2 of which were pretty beefy and 2 stripers- 1 of which was beefy. (and a sunburn)I never thought this big cement ditch would be so much fun, if you are near the duct you owe it to yourself to give it a try!

#2 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

You're on fire!Man, that is some good eats!How long did you fish for? I never realized the duct would be that productive. I'm going to have to give that a shot sometime.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

We should have a CPC Striper tournament!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

We should have a CPC Striper tournament!

Now you're talkin'! For the guys that don't fish, we can have a stripper tournament :) Arise, I was out there from 6AM to about noon. I usually pack it in around 10:00 but the weather was Ok and I was shootin' the breeze with a couple of retired deputies out there. I am trying to get as much fun in as I can, I am supposed to start the academy on May 19 :yikes[1]: No more fun after that! (still need to do my medical and psych)Oh yeah, forgot to mention... all these went back but the larger cat. That was taken by the deputies. I got to watch them fillet it, so I have a better idea how it is done. I think I'll pick up a cheapo ice chest next time I am at walmart and try to fillet one the next time I go out.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Nice going!

#6 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

I am trying to get as much fun in as I can, I am supposed to start the academy on May 19 :yikes[1]: No more fun after that! (still need to do my medical and psych)

Congratulations and good luck!
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

Yep, those big old cats are wonderful eating. Cut up into chunks, dipped in batter and deep fried. I know, they are bad for you that way, but, wow, does it taste good. You just gotta give it a try.You say the academy, but for what? CHP or Corrections? Or is it for a local?
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

You say the academy, but for what? CHP or Corrections? Or is it for a local?

No, I am too old for CHP. (just missed the deadline!) I am supposed to get an offer from Kern County Sheriff as a correction officer. (my background is all done, just need to take the psych and medical) But, with all the budget problems going on, who knows? It will be a good foot in the door, either stay in the jail and promote or take the additional 2 month academy to get my POST and transfer into patrol. (where I'd like to end up- on the street)

#9 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

What is the difference between the darker cat & the lighter one?

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

What is the difference between the darker cat & the lighter one?

One's a sun bather!

#11 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

One is a yellow bullhead. The other is a brown bullhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users