• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Well, the wife was visiting relatives so I had plenty of uninterrupted time to put my lower together. It was my first one so I took it real easy and all went well. I am still waiting for a winter trigger guard that is back ordered from Midway. I installed the Timney trigger assembly and that sure works well. Now I have the long, uncertain (4 to10 week) wait until Rock River Arms sends me my new Predator Pursuit upper. I have my scope, mount riser (if needed), mounts, and everything else all ready to go.What should I do for a sling? Who has what and what kind of sling would work best for field hunting coyotes when I'm lugging the usual stuff like a shooting stool, shooting sticks, call box, etc. I want something that won't slide off my shoulder.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

I don't know about slings, I just use 1" cut leather ones. Did you have fun getting the pivot pin detent/spring together? :)
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Actually, the pivot pin/detent spring adventure went pretty well. It came together easily using a single edged razor blade to hold the detent in. I have to say that I was expecting everything to fly apart so I used some heavy grease on the spring and the tiny detent part. :) I just got lucky, I guess. Getting the Timney trigger into place was a bit tricky because the tolerance was so close. getting the captive style pins in took some work. But alls well now. Hopefully, the winter trigger guard will be here soon. Like anything, the first time is the hardest. Posted ImagePosted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Looks good, Red. Is it the Magpul trigger guard you're waiting to arrive?

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

Looks sweet! Be sure to give a parts list with prices/where you got them. I like that stock, I have contemplated switching from my adjustable. What kind of grip is that? Magpul? I really like those lowers with the printing on the side. I would be really interested in how it holds up over time. The ones I saw seemed like it would rub off easily.As for the slings, I had a thread on here asking about slings. Do a search, there were lots of good ideas. I tried the single point, and it was bangin all over the place. I may try to go back to though and just figure out a way to keep the barrel fixed without using my hand. I currently have a standard sling, and it slides off my shoulder. I also have the stuff to build my own (also found in my sling thread), but I haven't tried building it yet.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:48 AM

Yup, the Mag-Pull winter trigger guard is on back order. The buttstock is an Ace Skeleton 9.9 and it was about $60. It is very well made and was simple to install. The grip is a Command Arms Tactical grip, with inside storage. It feels really good and also has a storage compartment for batteries, a bore snake or other small parts. It was about $20. The Infidel writing seems like it should last but this rifle is destined for a Dura-Coat camo job. I camo every rifle I hunt with and this one will be no different. I may spray the camo around the "Infidel" a lighter, just so the writing peeks through. I am really getting impatient now that the lower is done..........I WANT MY UPPER.I guess the delay will let me stock up on some Black Hills (if I can find any)

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:04 AM

Those trigger guards look great. I've got one on back order as well for another of my AR's back in Missouri.

#8 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

I picked up an RRA winter trigger gaurd and Millett 1" high rings with adjustable windage at Ten Percent Firearms yesterday ($15 and $30). I'm still not sure if the rings will be high enough and I may have to go to a riser of some sort if not. Picked up the upper Friday so I think I have everything I need. I'm going to pull a Meuller 3x9x40 Sport Dot off of a Ruger 96/17 and see how it works before spending anymore $$$ on a scope. It feels pretty light, but I will weigh it tonight. Oh I forgot, I still have to install the DPMS muzzle brake/compensator in place of what comes stock from Stag.Red, does the storage compartment in your grip have some sort of a door to keep stuff in?
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

Yup...at the bottom of the grip, there is a cap that fits internally. Centered in the cap is a screw head that a penny, etc. will fit. Turn the screw a half revolution and then you can pry the cap off. It's pretty neat. I like the Mueller scopes but I was on the Midway site and started reading all of the reviews of different scopes.....I almost humped for another Bushnell Elite 3200 and then (with the pocketbook getting a little slim) I read the review on the 4 X 16 X 40 illuminated (red or green) banner scope. For $118. I decided to order it based upon the great customer reviews. I received it and it seems very nice for the bucks. It's lightweight, bright & clear optics, illuminated crosshairs and seems well made. Like I said, the customer feedback was terrific, so what the heck. Bushnell Banner Illuminated Scope I have a riser rail, if needed, and a set of rings. I have no idea how colse the RRA upper will be so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.What kind of upper did you get woo?

#10 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

I got the complete Stag 3H 16" flat top in .223 for $450. Stag also has a long waiting list. These things are selling like hot cakes. Didn't you buy a Keltec awhile back? How did it work out for you? Mine just isn't very accurate and I hate those built in bi-pods.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Here's an upper http://www.predatorm...;gonew=1#UNREAD

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

Yup, I did buy a KelTec. It shoots OK but a buddy of mine is working up some loads for his and I'll try them in mine. I was getting about an 1 1/2 to 2" groups but us predator hunters want more accuracy than that. Up close (100-yards) I'd use it but with factory loads, I'd be hesitant to take a 200-yard shot. Hopefully, I'll get it dialed in. Trouble is that getting to a range is a bitch here in socal. Damn, it's a one hour plus drive, one way, and when you add up the fuel and range costs, building a load gets mighty expensive. I need a new plan. Best of luck with your new iron woo. Let me know how it shoots. I am banking on my RRA upper with Wilson barrel to shoot well. I guess we'll see.Heath, I tried your link but I got a "restricted" message.Red

#13 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

I picked up an RRA winter trigger gaurd and Millett 1" high rings with adjustable windage at Ten Percent Firearms yesterday ($15 and $30). I'm still not sure if the rings will be high enough and I may have to go to a riser of some sort if not. Picked up the upper Friday so I think I have everything I need. I'm going to pull a Meuller 3x9x40 Sport Dot off of a Ruger 96/17 and see how it works before spending anymore $$$ on a scope. It feels pretty light, but I will weigh it tonight. Oh I forgot, I still have to install the DPMS muzzle brake/compensator in place of what comes stock from Stag.

Wow, the rifle weighs in at 6.14 lb without ammo, scope and rings. I found a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 SWFA for $249.95 and couldn't let it pass. So it will go on top instead of the Mueller Sport Dot. The scope will add another 13 oz, but still not bad for a carry rifle. Check it out:http://www.swfa.com/...ifle-scope.aspxSteveH

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

Nice scope!Your #'s should be almost exactly like mine. :P 6lb 2.7oz with an empty 10rd magazine and no scope.The weight with the scope and rings added is 7lb 5oz!!
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#15 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

WOW! What a sweet deal on that Elite scope. That is one nice scope too. I love mine. It is super bright and clear. I just had a bugger for an illuminated reticle because I do a lot of night shooting. The illumination gets these old eyes on the dogs headlights real fast. Head shots makes em' look like Homer Simpson :signs684mh: . I e-mailed RRA today, begging for a ballpark delivery date. Ha! They said 4 to 8 weeks from order.....that's it. Latest I guess will be July 2nd. Dang.....I WANT IT NOW!! :( The DuraCoat is ready and waiting for the camo job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users