19 replies to this topic

#1 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hello all, I just thought I'd post a couple of picture of some duck calls I was working on over the weekend. The first is a clear acrylic call I made to show the kids in our calling clinics how a duck call works. The second has a black locust barrel, and a clear acrylic insert that I had a little trouble drilling. It has a little chipout in the insert, so I figured it'd be a good hunting call. I hope you enjoy the pictures. BobPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

I like the combination of wood and acrylic.

#3 DesertTom

DesertTom

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

Nice looking calls. I use to do alot of duck and goose hunting, now I hunt yotes and squirrels. Do you make any yote calls? :)

#4 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

I'm just in the learning phase of predator calls, nothing like Braz quite yet. I hope to have them availible later in the year. Thanks for looking. Bob

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

I can't see them from work, but I'll look when I get home. Gotta love a quality duck call. Duck season is still 6 months away!!!!!!!! Dang it!

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Nice looking calls Bob. I haven't worked any acrylic yet. I have some I got from Al, but just haven't turned it yet. I'm sure it won't look as good as yours though.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Nice calls! That locust is really nice and very hard wood. It won't even hardly rot. I would think that it would be the ultimate wood to make calls from.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

That locust is some pain in the azz to cut! I've never gone out to cut some and NOT been poked with those thorns. I will have to try and remember to take some pictures of those suckers when I am home next month for anyone who has never seen them before. Ouch!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

I used to have a huge Locust growing over the top of my horse stalls. The local electric utility offered to cut it down as it was interfering with their power lines. I said great have at it. It took them all day to cut that thing down and get it out. That was seven years ago and I just recently got the stump removed with my backhoe. Man there wasn't a bit of rot on that stump and the termites wouldn't even touch it. :)

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

Yea, it is TOUGH stuff. The Osage Orange (hedge) lasts even longer than the locust. If we burned hedge in the wood stove we could only throw one iece in with everything else. Other wise we might start a chimney fire.

#11 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

Yea, it is TOUGH stuff. The Osage Orange (hedge) lasts even longer than the locust. If we burned hedge in the wood stove we could only throw one iece in with everything else. Other wise we might start a chimney fire.

Osage has the most BTU's of any wood that I am aware of. It's great to turn, but I almost prefer the black locust for tone quality. I have a wood insert from the same wood for that call, but thought it would sound better with the acrylic. Right now it's a toss up. Thanks for the kind words. Bob

#12 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

I like the combination of wood and acrylic.

Big Ditto on that one.What calling clinics do you offer?

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Locust will last longer when subjected to weather than any other wood. There is a tree (apple or cherry I can't remember) at Thomas Jeffersons Montecello that has a sagging limb and it is still being supported by the same locust wood prop that was put in place all those years ago.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

I have some Blue Oak that I cut up about 15 years ago. The tree was over 500 years old and wood is so heavy it actually sinks in water. The tree had to come down because it started to split in two. The trunk was over six feet in diameter. We used to have those trees everywhere in town but they're getting scarce now.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

Locust will last longer when subjected to weather than any other wood.

Are you sure on that?

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

That's what the guy on the discovery channel said. :)

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

I found this about Black locust.

Comment from contributor A:I am a wood flooring contractor and have installed a couple black locust floors. I take exception to a comment above to the effect that it is low grade.Not only is it tough (second only to osage orange as the toughest native wood) and resistant to moisture (much better than white oak) and rot (way batter than cedar), it is gorgeous! If you haven't seen it, picture the grain of oak and color it with gold and add a glow that shifts in the light.Black locust is tougher than hickory, which is tougher than hard maple, which is tougher than oak. I have gotten it for only slightly more than the price of oak.

So it seems Osage Orange is the toughest but locust shines in a few areas.

#18 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Big Ditto on that one.What calling clinics do you offer?

We are doing a calling clinic for people who are interested in duck and goose calling as well as learning competition routines for the state duck and goose calling competitions. I am not a comp caller, so I'm working with the kids.....and taking a few notes. It's all part of the Oregon Waterfowl festival, but we're going to have them every year, so if your ever up in the nieghborhood, give me a buzz. Bob

#19 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Good to know. I have been to a couple of Troy Taylors (of "Taylor Talker" Calls, out of Washington) classes and got a lot out of it. Most of my W/F'ing is in So Cali so it's all about the whistle but I do get on the call from time to time.

#20 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

Troy's classes are top notchg, been to one myself. We are just hoping to get more people into the sport, so ours are freebies. I know what you mean about the whistle, I try to hunt the rice at Willis every year. Take care, Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users