12 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

I was out today from 5:45 to 10:00AM. Using anchovy. (also tried some of that small shad from walmart, the bagged stuff--- nada!) I ended up with 3. (also lost another while reeling in) I picked up a scale yesterday...#1 - 3 lbs 10 oz#2 - 2 lbs 9 oz#3 - 3 lbs 10 ozNot a bad day until some yahoo and his woman showed up and wanted to fish across from me. (and I was the only person there!) :doh[1]: Still had fun though.Some pics- (sorry, I was alone today no shots of me! :) )Attached File  IMG_5092.JPG   88.49KB   58 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5095.JPG   77.48KB   59 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5099.JPG   89.13KB   66 downloads

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

Nice! Are those big enough to keep?

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

We don't care to see you any way just the fish {just kidding }.Nice going boy I need to catch a fish . Im going to try the canal hopefuly sunday after noon. Try tossing some lures to them.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

Are those big enough to keep?

Yeah, the duct has a limit of 2, must be 18 inches. I think the smallest one today would have been close to 18. Although I have not kept any, they have all gone back.

We don't care to see you any way just the fish

Ok, Ok... here is some more eye candy for ya! (you know you want to see me!) :) Attached File  IMG_5079.JPG   110.16KB   59 downloads

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hey, why don't you keep some of those and try my striper cocktail sauce? You won't be throwing any back if you do.http://www.californi...d...ost&p=17856

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

I may have to take my wife fishing when she gets back from Ft. Hunter-Liggitt!

#7 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

try my striper cocktail sauce....Boil some striper fillets

There is the rub. It has been like 25 years since I cleaned a fish. I am pretty sure that I remember the nuts and bolts of it. I have no idea how to fillet. I remember doing it to crappie, dipping them in flour (w/ seasoning) and frying them in butter. I have not the slightest idea how to fillet. (I was like 10 or 12 the last time I cleaned a fish) There is a guy in Palmdale (Striper Bill) that has a cool duct fishing website. I suggested to him that he add a cleaning/filleting striper page on his site and he said he would. So, maybe once I see his pics I'll give it a try.

I may have to take my wife fishing when she gets back

Let me know if you come up this way.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

Google filleting it's easy. You're catching plenty to practice on. You are missing a delicacy.

Time waits for no one--

#9 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

I checked out some good articles on youtube as well as other sites. It does not look that hard. Seems easier to do these big fish than those little crappie. I think I will give it a try soon. Question for you guys; how do you keep your fish? After the catch do you use a stringer? Basket? I used to use stringers but since this is the aqueduct I don't know. Everything flows pretty fast there, would seem to me that the fish would be pushed up on the "shore" by the current. (and I'd need to find a place to tie the stringer, but the side is all cement so it would need to be a long stringer) If stringers are best; the rope type or the metal clip type? I read some articles that say it is best to slit the gills and let the blood out. (while on a stringer) I guess that is supposed to make the meat better? Some say the key is to clean it right away and put it on ice. (like clean it lakeside and bring an ice chest to throw it in) I am sure lakeside it not the same as 'duct side, but what is the best way?

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Put your fish on ice immediately! Don't put them back in the water the flesh gets soft and will go bad faster.

Time waits for no one--

#11 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Yep, I'd have a dedicated ice chest and just toss the fish in whole. You can clean them later. Getting them cold will make sure they taste as good as they are possible of tasting.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Yep, haven't you seen The Perfect Storm? They pack those things in Ice immediately! ;) :) I get all my edumacation from crappy ass movies. ;) :hellohello9il:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#13 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Nice fish Aquaelvis :) :hellohello9il:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users