21 replies to this topic

#1 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

Heywood brought this scope up in a different thread a while back and I keep going back to it looking at it on the web. What's everyones opinion on this scope (or Mueller in general). I've never seen a Mueller up close and personal.Mueller Sport dot
Sheldon

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

I haven't use one before but I have hear a lot of good things about them from people on this board. I was thinking of getting this one for my ARhttp://www.muellerop...MT41650IGR.html

#3 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Heywood brought this scope up in a different thread a while back and I keep going back to it looking at it on the web. What's everyones opinion on this scope (or Mueller in general). I've never seen a Mueller up close and personal.

I have three Muellers and think they are a good value. Don't take this wrong, but I don't even remember which rifle the Sport is mounted on. I do remember that I was impressed when I sighted it in.SteveH
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#4 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Well, I stopped off at my friendly neighbor's shop on my way home from work today. He told me that he's been selling this particular scope for over 3 years and he's impressed with it. He offered to let me take it and try it and see how I like it since I see him everyday anyway at the coffee shop.It's got a lifetime warranty. Anyone heard of NcSTAR?I've never heard of NcSTAR but it's a 4-16X50 with illuminated reticle...Attached File  sidepose.jpg   105.06KB   73 downloadsAttached File  ncstar_reticle.jpg   54.89KB   70 downloadsAttached File  frontangle.jpg   112.38KB   73 downloadsAttached File  rearangle.jpg   102.09KB   77 downloads
Sheldon

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

The gun looks nice. But take that piece of Chinese crap off of it before it becomes attached. :signs165xk:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

John - as much as I despise Chicomm - the price is right and has alot of really good reviews. I've yet to find a bad review of this scope and I spent about 2 hours at work today searching reviews before I stopped off at his store to pick it up.They are based out of CA for the U.S. division and I figured, for the price I won't feel too bad about banging this thing around. I'm certainly not going to take as much precaution with this scope as I would a $600 Leupold so I won't have to worry so much about it when I'm out in the field. It hurt a little to put a Chicomm scope on a truly American rifle - but I'll give it a fair shot.
Sheldon

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

Whatever but when you mentioned the scope and I Googled it these were the first to reviews I found and they were not good. That being said give it a try but the old saying comes to mind, "You get what you pay for." And with scopes that can be a lot of frustration.http://shootersforum...ead.htm?t=17559http://www.gunandgam...s-any-good.htmlApparently the old Tasco plant in China is where these are produced. Climbing down now. :signs165xk:

Time waits for no one--

#8 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

John, I'm not making excuses for this scope at all. I can take it back anytime I want. But those are pretty old reviews. Google the Mark III SM3R41650G (or replace the "R" with AO, P, or M). These Mark III's are supposedly newer and better. Trust me - I'll keep an honest review, I know as well as you that you get what you pay for in optics...
Sheldon

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Sheldon, I honestly don't read reviews by stores that sell scopes. After all they're in business to make money like the guy you got it from. I'm sure he buys those for pennies and a friend wouldn't give you that scope to put on your NEW gun. Give it a try, if you like it fine. But if you can't hit your ass with that gun when you shoot it I'd throw that scope out and shoot it as well as the guy you got it from. I've seen too many perfectly good guns put aside because they shot like crap and it was the result of a cheap scope. It's never the same if you shoot a new gun and it doesn't group. You never trust them after that. Really I could care less about this, but you asked if we'd had heard of it. I hadn't so a little bit of checking and real peoples reviews it didn't look good. Sorry this was just my :signs165xk: and I'm sorry I even brought it up. I hope your gun works out for you.

Time waits for no one--

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

I got a cheapo NcStar a while back to put on a cheapo .22 rifle. It's been a good scope as far as function goes. My only gripe is that they used some coating on the objective lens that filters out alot of red light. This makes everything look kind of dark and greenish. It's great on really sunny days but it sucks in the early morning and late evening.One of my buddys got the scope you have Sheldon. It has much better glass and doesn't have that stupid lens coating that mine has. It holds zero like a champ but there is one problem. The adjustment clicks on my buddys scope moved the point of impact almost an inch per click instead of the quarter inch that it is supposed to move.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Geez SJ! I guess I better not mention that my wife loves her new Barska Extreme SWAT tactical scope that I just put on her Savage .223 :signs165xk: . And it was cheap!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

Don't worry I'm out of the scope review business. :signs165xk:

Time waits for no one--

#13 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

Sorry Guys, But I've got to agree with ShooterJohn on this one. I've spent alot of money over the years on cheap scopes, but none are still on my rifles. They don't hold zero or they get fuzzy at upper powers or whatever problem you can imagine I've had as I'm sure SJ has had the same experience. I'm not a scope snob but all I'll say is that you get what you pay for. You may get lucky once in awhile but mostly it's the purchaser trying to convince himself that he got a real good scope at a real good price, which may or may not be the facts. Good scopes that hold zero over the years, are clear at high X and give a easy eye relief etc. don't come cheap. Sorry for the rant.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#14 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

i run nikon on all my stuff!...how's that AR shoot? im lookin for a AR..

#15 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

I'd love to know how it shoots as well. I only just got the scope and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. And I have to deliver something to LA area this weekend so it's gonna have to wait another week now.BTW - you all will be happy to know:That NcSTAR scope was returned before I even got to try it out or sight it in. I showed it to my wife and she says "Well, what am I supposed to do with the one I got you for your birthday then" So, not only did I upset her a bit, I spoiled my own birthday a week in advance. Oh well. It's a matching Mossy Oak Bushnell. I'll try to post pics tonight.
Sheldon

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

John - as much as I despise Chicomm - the price is right and has alot of really good reviews. I've yet to find a bad review of this scope and I spent about 2 hours at work today searching reviews before I stopped off at his store to pick it up.They are based out of CA for the U.S. division and I figured, for the price I won't feel too bad about banging this thing around. I'm certainly not going to take as much precaution with this scope as I would a $600 Leupold so I won't have to worry so much about it when I'm out in the field. It hurt a little to put a Chicomm scope on a truly American rifle - but I'll give it a fair shot.

I was at a recent rifle match and the only scopes that failed were the NC Star and another cheap scope. The cheap initial price will cost you a lot more when that scope fails you in the field when you need it the most. Hey, you could get a good one but chances are, you got what you paid for.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#17 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

Uh, yea... it's gone.I have a Leupold 4-12X40 on it now... The eye relief on this Leupold is huge. I had to move it way forward on the rail compared to that chicomm scope and even the Bushnell my wife bought me (although - it's a chicomm made bushy too)

Attached Files

Sheldon

#18 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

I really like my Mueller 8.5-25×50AO Eraticator™ it is over 2 years old still bright and clear ,holds 1/2 " groups out of my 204 killed numerous rock chucks and ground squirrels last year and is starting out right this year with 2 rock chuck last week two rock chuck yesterday and 22 squirrels Thursday.I would recommend the 8X25X 50 Muller Eraticator and wouldn't have to look back :censored[1]:

#19 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:44 AM

I have been looking for a medium priced decent quality scopes for quite a while and almost purchased that one. I ended up with a Swift 8-32x50AO Premier (for $234) and it has been fabulous. I may try your Mueller next. I have two Leupold Vx-IIIs 6.5-20s on varmint rifles and the only thing I like better on them is the finer duplex reticle but clarity and brightness even in low light are very comparable at a given magnification.Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#20 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

chinese stuff is coming to america so when the chinese get here they already know how to use and work everything... lol

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:17 AM

lol - Swift is assembled in South Korea like Samsung, etc... Not sure about Mueller...Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#22 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

Nice setup on that rifle fiveflat, looks like a winner to me :signtripledogdare2wf:
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users