16 replies to this topic

#1 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

I inherited a 257 Roberts from my grandfather and it has no manufacturers name on it. Only marking are on the scope and at base of barrel. I think it reads DAN?G. Any ideas?Ron

#2 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:38 PM

I don't know but that is a great shooting rifle. My uncle uses his for mule deer. I will see what his reads and I will let you know.

#3 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, I know he used it on many hunts in Texas as that is where he is from. I am a little concerned as to firing, he was pretty sick last 10 years and did not use it.Ron

#4 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

The 257 Roberts was designed and introduced to the shooting public by Remington in 1934. The 257 Roberts was designed by Remington who was experimenting with the 25 Roberts cartridge at the time and trying to produce it commercially. In doing so they needed to make changes to the cartridge case itself. The 25 Roberts cartridge was a 7x57mm cartridge case necked down to 25 caliber with a 15 degree shoulder angle, The Remington changes were, the shoulder was moved forward and the shoulder angle was changed to 20 degrees. Remington was ready to introduce this new cartridge as the 25 Roberts except for the wisdom of Captain E. C. Crossman who stated at the time there would most likely be complications as the 25 Roberts was already being produced by custom gun makers and the chambers of the 2 cartridges were quite different and at that, Remington renamed the cartridge to 257 Roberts upon Captain Crossman's suggestion. The 257 Roberts is a good dual purpose cartridge as it can be used for varmints sending a 75 grain bullet out the muzzle at 3,400 feet per second, making this a good varmint round or it can be used as a big game cartridge sending 100 grain bullets out the muzzle at speeds of 3,000 feet per second, it has sufficient power out to the 275 yard mark for deer sized game animals. The 257 Roberts with the accuracy, power and effectiveness it offers down range recoils mild to moderate to the shooters shoulder and is recommended for those shooters who want more bullet frontal mass than the 24 calibers but don't want the recoil of a 25/06

#5 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

Wow, good info. Thanks Coyote. Just hope it fires with no problems.Ron

#6 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:33 PM

I would just clean it look everything over work the action and dry fire it a couple of times to make sure everything functions right( When I bought a new Kimber rifle they told me to dry fire the rifle to get use to the trigger so I assume it is ok I know your not supposed to on rimfire rifles).

#7 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

Well, I have cleaned it, but he kept it pretty spotless. Just wondering about old barrrel. Any ideas?

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

RhinoRon,Is it a bolt gun, lever gun, semi auto, what type of action. If you posted a photo some of the more experienced (older) might ID it immediately.A17Shooter

#9 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:46 AM

Here are a couple of pics. New to digital camera and uploading.Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

Looks to be in good shape but I think Steve hit it on the button with the gunsmith

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

Only marking are on the scope and at base of barrel. I think it reads DAN?G. Any ideas?

Ron, I think that reads DANGER! :lol:

#12 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

Actually you could be right :lol: Hoever the letters are so worn no "R" is visable. Think I will try to find a local smith to take a look. Just frustrating not knowing who made it.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

Ron, it's probably been refinished and the name sanded or filled off before reblueing. You see that a lot in older guns. I'd just buy some 257 Roberts ammo and take it out and tie it to a tree or bench. Tie a string to the trigger and stand clear when pulling the trigger. I bet there's nothing wrong with it. If you just want to know the make then yes take it in. You could look through an old gun digest and see if it looks like anything. You can find old Gun Digest's on Ebay for a couple of $'s.

#14 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:59 PM

You may also try taking the stock off. Sometimes there is information hidden by the stock that will give you a clue.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

It's hard for me to tell without holding the gun but that looks like a modified Mauser action to me. So that gun was probably put together in that caliber which used to be very popular. I'll bet that's why there aren't any markings on it. :lol:

#16 RangerRon

RangerRon

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

I took it to smith. He said it was mauser action (go shooter) however it also has German Eagle on barrel. He said it had serial number 1 whatever that means and that it was custom made probably around 1946-1949. He is going to barrel shoot it and then range shoot it as the barrel has no pits or rust. He said it should be good hunting gun and to keep it in family.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Well Ron, at least you know for sure now. Thanks, I was pretty sure of the Mauser action. I've range shot a lot of old guns by strapping them down and hiding behind something to pull the string. You should have a nice gun when you get it back. Nothing like owning a family heirloom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users