Photo

What do you guys think about these patterns?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

I took my Beretta AL391 out today and put a couple #4 Buck rounds through it to see how it patterns. I used my Full choke (my Primo Coyote Choke I had bought doesn't fit my threads).I think I know which is the better pattern, but I want to see what you Yote Shotgunners think.Shots were from approx 45yds.Ammo used (bottom two on the right)Posted ImageFederal Vital Shok 12ga #4 Buck 3" 41 PelletsPosted ImageRemington 12ga #4 Buck 2 3/4" 27 PelletsPosted ImageAre these effective on Yotes?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

With those two shots, you would have two dead coyotes. Just be ready to put another one in the dog as he tries to run off.....Unless you hit him in the head.

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

Any others have an opinion on which is the better group?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#4 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

The patterns are actually quite similar. the top one with a 3 inch shell will prove a better coyote round due to more lead on target, but the 2 3/4 looks like it patterns just as well. It just doesn't have as many pellets......

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Those patterns look good to me. Now just move that pattern over a coyote and you're in business. :signs653wf:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Well, m a n y moons ago when I used to pattern LOTS of various ammo for mostly target & quail hunting, I found a HUGE difference between brands, weights & chokes, &/or the combination of all 3.In other words, one certain brand & size shot may pattern awful @ 23 yards with say modified choke, but wonderful with cylinder tube. It really can vary a LOT & sometimes requires a fair amount of testing.With that said, I say your top target patterned only fair at best. The bottom target is the better pattern, but is low & to the right. Not much, but still off, which is also semi normal(but shouldn't be). Unless it was you of course.Will those patterns work? You bet they will! However, IMHO, a little more testing may likely give you a much better load / pattern, & thus provide you with a whole lot more confidence at the same time.Just my :signs653wf: and good luckFrank

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

How big are your cardboard pieces?

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

How big are your cardboard pieces?

2'x3'

With that said, I say your top target patterned only fair at best. The bottom target is the better pattern, but is low & to the right. Not much, but still off, which is also semi normal(but shouldn't be). Unless it was you of course.

I too think the bottom pattern was better. Though it is 2 3/4" I think I will use these first. The low and right could be me. :signs1180lq: What did you mean by "semi-normal"?

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

by semi-normal, I meant it is not too unusual for a particular shotgun to hit off center... Sometimes by a LOT... Hitting too high & to the right for example. However, yours was very minimal & possibly had more to do with the shooter. Possibly! And may want to get a 2nd look / pattern again.I could not guess how many or what percentage of shotguns shoot off center though. The vast majority of perhaps over a dozen or so(?) that I have patterned or seen patterned where right on the money.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

I like how evenly the bottom pattern is dispersed on the target. It's nice and round with no blown spots. Maybe try the load from the top target with a little less choke and see what happens.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

Given a choice, I'd opt for the 3" stuff...you will be throwing a lot more lead. With that pattern and keeping your shots in "real" shotgun ranges like around 30 - 40 yards, but usually closer .. you will kill everything you shoot at. Even 40 starts pushing it. If you hunting shotgun type terrain and are setting up your stand properly for a shotgun I think you'll find them 40+ yard shots won't present themselves too much. If you are getting a lot of 50 or "lol" 60yd shotgun opportunities like I read about so much from the internet crowd you should use a rifle...or buy some track shoes lol.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#12 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

I would venture to say that most shotgun kill shots are taken between 20 and 30 yards. Most of mine have been anyway. I do pattern my gun at an even 50 yards because where I hunt I am presented with "the long shot" with a shotgun at 50+ yards. I know many people will get on here and say they have killed a coyote at 70+ yards with a shotgun.......But I too find that unlikely......Most of the time. I have taken a coyote at exactly 184 feet, which is 61.33 yards. And my brother took one the next day in the same area at 197 feet or 65.66 yards. I was shooting Dead coyote and hit her smack in the chest as she was looking for the squeaker. My brother actually shot his as it was on it's way out with 00buck right in the head. His dropped on the spot and mine made off about 50 more yards, but we collected on both. You may be wondering how I got exact numbers. When I shot mine the first day I knew we were going back to a nearby location so I brought along a 300 foot tape. We measured both shots from stand to point of impact. His dog was dead on the spot, and mine had crapped herself (scat herself) when I unloaded on her.I will say that anything over 50 yards is risky, I have lost at least 5 dogs this year on the long shot. I found tons of blood.....But no coyote. But, like I said, I would say my "average" shot is 30 yards. Stand selection is far more important to a shotgun hunter. You need to give yourself every advantage you can.A 50 yard shotgun kill is no different than a 500 yard rifle kill in my opinion. They do happen, but most of the time you end up with a miss, or a wounded animal.

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

I would venture to say that most shotgun kill shots are taken between 20 and 30 yards.

Which pattern do you like best?

#14 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

I like the bottom one as well, but try to get set up on some 3" rounds that work well. More lead = more chances of a kill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users