8 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

So I'm working up a load for my NEF 223. I'm using 40gr V-max bullets and H335 in new Win brass with Federal Gold Match primers. I can't get anything to group worth a darn. Anybody have any suggestions for a beginner?? Here's what I've tried so far. First picture is with COL 2.200" starting at 25.0gr and working up to 27.0 grains in .5gr increments. Second picture is the same thing with COL 2.500" except I skipped a few rounds towards the end because I was just wasting ammo on the tests. I figured I'd try lengthening the COL because my rifle has a long throat. Nothing was under 1.5" at 100 yards for any of the loads I tried. :P There's a 5-round and 3-round group of Ultramax just to make sure it's not my bad shooting. This rifle really likes Ultramax.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 RayGun

RayGun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

Stiff Neck,I had similar dificulties shortly after I bought Handi-Rifle in 223, (4 years ago). First thing was send the reciever back to NEF for a trigger dressing. I came back at 3 1/2 lb and crisp letoff. Second, I quit trying to use the 40 gr bullets because they stood too far off the rifling lands. I trimmed all cases to identical lengths, and only neck sized all brass. I keep that brass segregated from 223 brass I use in my bolt guns. Neck sizing only, and going to balistic tip 55 gr bullets had a signicant effect. The 55's still don't touch the rifling lands but are much closer than the 40's. Not sure if either item would have fixed the problem, but together they seemed to work. i also went thru the other rituals of swapping out scopes, I started out with a Leupold, then Burris, then Tasco. No changes in accuracy were noticed. I checked stock and forend tighness as well. Nothing but the neck sizing and longer bullets seemed to work. It isn't a tack driver, but groups are consistantly under an inch.I have also lapped the barrel but it didn't seem to help a bit. Lots of work for nothing!BTW, my login 'RayGun' was bestowed on that rifle during a squirrel hunt where it just didn't seem to miss very often.Ray

#3 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Looks like normal groups for an H&R to me :P I'm thinking 55gr. as well to get closer to the lands.I went to the range today to try mine, alittle better than yours but not greatalittle over MOA.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

Well, it shot the old Black Hills 40gr NBT just dandy, and the Ultramax 40gr NBT is just about as good. Both of those shoot WELL under an inch in this rifle. Where do I go from here? Should I experiment more with the COL or is that a waste of components? I'd really like to stay with the 40gr pills in this rifle, I know it will shoot them. Should I try a different powder? Switch to 40gr NBTs?

#5 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

I would say a differant powder if you want to stay with 40gr. pills748 or BLC-2
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

My Howa only likes 55gr or 50gr under 1/2 at 100 every thing else is all over the place. 25gr H335.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

Where at in williams have you found to do your target pratice?

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:39 AM

Since I'm not going to find a good recipe within the next week or two, I sighted my rifle in for the old Ultramax loads. Walking to set up my target I jumped a coyote at bout 75 yards that must have been napping. We had a stare down for about 20 seconds. My rifle was on my shoulder and unloaded of course... I figured maybe he'd loose interest and I could get a shot as he wandered off. But he took off too fast and disappeared behind cover. Dang! After a quick sight-in at 100 (half inch high for 150 yard zero) I shot a target at 230 yards. It's a 6" paper plate. I aimed at the top of the plate and the group is about 3" low, almost perfect for a 150 yard zero. Ran out of time to adjust windage. This NEF definately shoots when I do my part with the right ammo. Wish there were local shops that carried reloading supplies so I don't have to order stuff or drive an hour each way... :(The top hole is where I jammed a stick thru the plate to hold it up. Three shots in about 1.2" at 230 yards.Posted Image

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

I have no personal experience with the NEF rifles, but believe handloads should still get just as good, if not better accuracy than factory stuff. Never met a bolt gun that wouldn't anyhow...Anyway, one powder that works in every 223 I've seen is W748. Around 26.5 grs (give or take) and "mag" primer with a "50" grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet. Accuracy is great and velocity close to 3300 fps, depending on barrel length & quality.However, with that said, RL 10X will give as good or better accuracy along with 100 fps higher velocity. Around 23.5 grs with standard primer & 50gr bullet. And finally, if your gun likes it (mine didn't, but my partners did), Benchmark will perform like RL-10X. Around 26.5 grs with standard primer.I wasted so much time, money and energy trying to get 40gr bullets to perform it was unbelievable. I did get them to work fairly well, but nothing like the 50grainers. Good Luck in your searchFrank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users