8 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

deal with a painful situation. I was a total klutz yesterday and sprained my right ankle, so today I'm bored out of my mind trying to keep my weight of the darn thing most of the time. I decide to see how the Discovery shoots lead. I've tested her with tin, but no lead.I can shoot 15 yards inside the house, so I hobble around and get my pellet trap set up. The first pellets I tried were the ones Crosman included with the gun. OK, but nothing to get excited about. I tried some JSB Exact 8.4 grainers and they were about the same as the Crosman pellets. Hmmm. I know, I've got some Beeman Ram Jets that I bought 25 years ago that don't shoot in anything I've ever tried them in. Maybe this is the gun. I bought 15 tins of these from Beeman 25 years ago at maybe $2 per tin of 500. They are marked Blemished, but how bad could they be? They stunk, but what the heck I'll try them anyway. They stunk in the Discovery too. I could never figure out why they wouldn't shoot. That is until today. They look just fine, so I thought, I'm going to weigh them and check their consistency. HOLY COW! They run from 9.5 grains to 11 grains in the same tin.This gives new meaning to sorting pellets. I can't do much else, so I sat down and spent a few hours sorting a couple tins. When I got through I took some 9.5 grainers, and some 10.8 grainers and shot them from the Discovery. They both shot a bug hole. I've included some pictures of the before and after groups. I do believe I have finally found a gun that will shoot these pellets. At least at 15 yards, and I've only got 13 more tins of 500 to sort. I can't wait to try them at 40 yards.I forgot to mention, the Pellet holes at 12 o'clock are my aim points. I learned a long time ago, that if you can't hold small, you can't shoot small.Posted ImagePosted ImageunsortedPosted Image9.5 grainersPosted Image10.8 grainersPosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

I've found that to be the case before also. But man once you sorted them they are awesome. You have quite a collection of cups going there. Are you going to open and sort all of those tins? Then just mark the tins and put in the different weights?How in the heck did you bugger up your ankle Twinkle Toes! :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hey John, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Yep, I'm going to sort them all. With this bum ankle there isn't a whole lot else to do.As far as how did I screw it up in the first place? I don't want to talk about it. :signbummer8tl: :signs1180lq:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

I like your little pellet weighing scale you have there in the picture. I use the one on my RCBS ChargeMaster 1500. But that one of your looks a little more suited to the job at hand. :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

It's actually a gem scale that also weighs in grains. I was never happy with the two Dillon, and RCBS scales that I have for weighing pellets. I figured that people who deal in precious gems demand accuracy and consistency in a scale, so I started looking at gem scales and found that some of them also have to ability to weigh in grains. I've been very happy with this one.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

That makes perfect sense. Now why didn't I think of that? I even have one buried around here I used to use to weigh gold with from my prospecting days. :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

Your going to put your eyes out by sorting all those things . Come on we need to here how you got your owee :signbummer8tl: Take care of that leg.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

Ok, if you must know. I was coming down stairs, and when I was about to step off the bottom stair onto the floor, the heel of my boot caught on the edge of the step and I came down HARD, with all my body weight on the right side of my foot, rolling it under about 90 degrees.Having spent four years in the Navy, I know some swear words and how to use them in a sentence, so I broke out every last one of those beauties and used them ALL in the very same sentence. Actually, I used some of the better ones more than once. Afterwards I felt so much better. "DARN IT" just would not have gotten it done. If you know what I mean. :signbummer8tl:

#9 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

You passed the test for not having ADD :signbummer8tl: Do you plan on using the heavy ones on windy days?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users