• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I was perusing the local gunshop today and ran across the new hornady leverlution loads for the .44 magnum. My .44 has been collecting alot of dust scince I got it back from an overhaul at S&W so I figured I'd buy a couple boxes, mount the scope on 'er, and take it for a spin this weekend. I'll post range results hopefully this weekend.Posted Image
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

How come your the first here to think of that ? I got to try that. :smiley_kewlpics:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,032 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Can you shoot those rounds in a pistol? Rifles use hotter rounds than pistols.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

I'ii see if he lives after his test :smiley_kewlpics:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,032 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

I'll be listening for the BIG BOOM! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:I found this and it says rifles!

Hornady's successful line of LEVERevolution® ammo. This new ammo delivers exceptional terminal performance and increases effective range. The Flex Tip™ of the FTX bullet enhances bullet flight characteristics and opens up new application possibilities with supercharged performance for rifles chambered in .357 magnum and .44 magnum.

Time waits for no one--

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

I'm not worried about it. It isn't marked as a +P load so I'm thinking it has to be loaded to standard SAAMI pressures. It's only a 225gr bullet @ 1410 fps so I doubt it's anything special other than the new bullet design. They did't put any special warning on the box and I'm sure they figured people would try it in a handgun. The warning they used just said to only use it in "firearms which are in good condition, and originaly designed and chambered for this cartridge."I hope my gun likes them. It would be cool to take a yote with a handgun.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

Nice revolver Matt I like the shiny look. My next gun will be a revolver I hope........ I like spinning the wheel on them LOL. You want to shoot the IPDA match with me they have a wheel gun category.

#8 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

hot rifle=slower burn on propellant longer barrelhot pistol=faster burn on propellant short barrellcoupled with cylinder gap I would not worry about that stuff, any way I bet you that it would be pretty hard to bust the top strap on a 629 from hot loads, I have only heard of modern pistols bustin in two from a primer load which leaves lead in barrel not down range, then pull the trigger again and WHAMO now that would suckI wanna see how that leverolution does on an animal I have a 450 guide gun I have yet to shoot and that ammo looks REALLY slick

#9 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

Got me to thinking...Think I could run the new Hornady V-max 22. mag through my Ruger single-six?
Sheldon

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Nice revolver Matt I like the shiny look. My next gun will be a revolver I hope........ I like spinning the wheel on them LOL. You want to shoot the IPDA match with me they have a wheel gun category.

Thanks Johnny. It wasn't that shiny when I got it but years of rubbing it down with Blue Magic really slicked it up. With the price of ammo now I don't think I could afford the rounds required to get thru a match. :pirashoot: Where is the closest IPDA match?

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

LIke a few minutes from you right there in Winton on shafer road River oak range 11584 N. Shaffer Rd. The smallest I think in revoler is 38 thats allowed.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

I recently tried the new Lever Revolution ammo in my Marlin in .35 Remington. The stuff made an amazing difference. That old 35 is an accurate thumper now and it's like a rebirth. I bought three boxes for my 357 Marlin lever rifle but I haven't tried it yet. It's a small, fast handling carbine with a Burris scout scope. If the ammo works as well in it, I may try it as a coyote rifle sometime. Here's a photo of the little darling.Posted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

I took my .44 to my range this morning to do my testing and I was very pleased with the results. :signbummer8tl: The three shot group on the left was from 50yds just to check my zero after remounting the scope. It dropped them close enough to center so I went back to 100yds and sent a cylinder worth of ammo downrange. The 50 yard 3 shot group measured 1.384 inches and the 100 yard 6 shot group measured in at 2.460 inches. Not to shabby. Definitley good enough for minuit of coyote accuracy! :signs1180lq: Posted Image

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

Very good shooting Matt! You can't complain about those groups. Johnny won't want to pistol shoot with you either. :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Probably not LOL ............I bet he used a bench and sand bag :signbummer8tl: Those are some nice groups I would be happy with it .

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Heck yeah I used a bench and sandbags Johnny! :roflmao3[1]: Once you get yourself a revolver and kick those brass flingin' autos to the curb you'll get to see how much fun it is to shoot at targets that are further than 25 yards away. :signbummer8tl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users