7 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

bad news. The good News is, the Discovery came from Mac1 yesterday. The bad news is, it's the wrong caliber. Supposed to be in .22, came in .177. The good news is I like it and am going to keep it. The bad news is, I talked to Tim at Mac1 and asked him to still send me one in .22, but they don't have any. It's probably a 2 to 3 week wait. Oh well, it's not like it's a kidney dialysis machine or something, I'll survive. We're thinking that somebody else is going to pop a box open in the next day or two, expecting to find a .177 and they'll get a .22.Now for the good stuff. What a cool little rifle. The fit and finish is about what I would expect for a $250 dollar gun. Very utilitarian, not fancy, but certainly nothing to be embarrassed of. The stock is straight grained walnut, looks and feels nice. The trigger is a bit heavy, but lets off nice and crisp. She has a bit of a bark, but no worse than my RWS Rapier, and since I mostly hunt out in the boonie's, it's a non issue.For a scope, I wound up putting a Bushnell 5X15X40mm Legend on her. I thoroughly cleaned the barrel, and it badly needed it. I want to hunt ground squirrels with her, and include some of the footage in the DVD, so I had my fingers crossed that she would shoot the tin pellets. I can only shoot 15 yards inside, so this isn't much of a test, but it's a start. I dug out a box of the DYNAMIC PCP 1's and sighted her in. Once on target, she was shooting a bug hole with them. I know from experience, that if she isn't shooting a tiny hole at 15 yards, she probably isn't going to do very well at 30 or 40 yards. Might have a chance to head out to the National Forest this weekend and stretch her legs a little. My Pigmee tank snaps right onto her foster connector, so fills are easy. Here she is all setup to make movies. I'm hoping the .22 gets here before the next squirrel safari at the end of this month. It would be fun to hunt one in the morning, and the other in the afternoon. It would make for an interesting comparison.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

Sorry to hear you got the wrong caliber. Glad to hear you like it so far. It even looks ok. If it shoots that well it should be a good one.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

Well heck, I look at it this way. How bad can it be? It's a chance to get another airgun. :smiley_kewlpics: :1106:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#4 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Looks nice. I thougt you might be going turkey hunting with the .22 call.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

He has a few other .22's but lives in AZ now. I have a few that are turkey legal out here too. :smiley_kewlpics:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

My main interest is in hunting ground squirrels, prairie dogs, and rock chucks. I lean toward the .22 cal in my PCP's because the vast majority of my shooting is from 45 yards on out to 100, and the .22 cal. just carries the freight better than the .177 at those ranges, but I do have several .177 cal. springers, and I thought a .177 cal. PCP would be fun to play around with. B)I'm going to Wyoming this summer for a week of prairie dog airgunning, and it will be all .22 cal. PCP's on that trip.

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I got mine 3 days ago and i'am waiting on a scope but i walked off 35 yrds and with open sight's i was grouping 5 shots tight and just off zero with very little adjustment any bad shot where my error . My .22cal is all i wanted for off season crow hunting , very happy so far fun on the targets as well as a few doves forferal cat bait . between this PCP and my gamo 177 springer i'am set and happy . I would also like to add in the short amount of time i have spent here on the site i'am very impressed with the knowledge and love for hunting here . Thanks for welcoming me where i live we can't discharge rifles without driving 4 hours north to the mountains so it's air and scatter only but who needs more VA your gun looks real good the rack just as nice

#8 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

Sending out a wrong caliber is unforgiveable. Yet a .177 Caliber air rifle does give you the largest selection of pellets available. A .177 caliber is no slouch when fitted to a pellet weight that issues a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps to 1100 fps. These are solid squirrel fare in the 30 to 50 yard range. They also cut any type pattern you want to produce in a paper target at 40 feet and more: a smiley face is fun. The light Beeman Silver Bear pellet is best in many applications, so long as it doesn't. break the sound-barrier (CRACKJ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users