7 replies to this topic

#1 WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

Rifle:Pros:lightweightaccuraterecoillessgreat priceNot as loud as a springersubsonicremovable sightsbuilt-in sights are good, but who can use a scope and then just settle for built-in sights? Cons:trigger feels plastic (wtf?)--feels less rock solid than it should.fill nipple is right at the end of the barrel, making refilling cumbersome, and any potential mods/extensions difficult/annoying.pressure gauge is on the underside of the rifle stock, awkward with a scope attached.Recommended! :hellohello9il: Discovery Pump:pros:heavy dutyNot difficult nor exhausting to use--no regretscons:Note: my other air rifle is a beeman sportsman 1000, .177 springer, which seems louder, and kicks hard.The Discovery is also fairly loud, and it definitely could benefit from some suppression.The gun, pump and scope were ordered through Crossman online, and they delivered fast. The scope is a centerpoint 4x (I purchased it because crossman guaranteed it would fit) and although I would have preferred at least a 3x9, I've wasted afternoons fiddling with scope configurations, so I was pleased to find the scope preassembled, already in the rings. Just slid it on, twisted the hex bolts, took some shots and dialed in the zero--all in about 10 minutes!:pirashoot:I would recommend buying an extension hose for the pump, and one must figure or fashion a way to place the rifle when refilling; the refill gauge is on the underside of the gun (ugh) and with a scope mounted on top, you see the problem.Oddly the pressure gauge seems to indicate CO2 is only good for 1000 psi. I dunno, guess your mileage may vary.I pumped to 2k and took a bunch of shots, and it dropped to 1k. Still, performed as expected.More exact numbers to follow...

Attached Files

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

Great review. It looks like a good way for people to get into PCP airguns.

#3 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

I got mine yesterday and after shooting 30 shots it's solid .I don't have a scope for it yet but this is no gun for my backyard i will have to go down the street to the open woods and have some time to get it right .But that review is right on for the money this is a fine entry level PCP airgun and i may never need another, it's small and light can't wait to sit on an open field of rabbits

#4 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

Sweet, thanks.. I was looking at getting this rifle....

#5 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

very interesting! just how much work is it to pump up the pressure using the hand pump? If I understand things correctly you can either use CO2 from a paintball supplier or have the tanks filled at a scuba place? which is easier?last question:is this a full sized adult rifle?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

I've heard the pump is very efficient. But you can use tank air to fill the rifle. Bozsik has a pump for his Career airgun and it seems to work well for him. As for the gun being an adult air rifle it is that.

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

0 to 2000 pounds 103 pumps 6 minutes and it takes a little work as the pressure builds it gets stiff on the down stroke 30 shots later 50 pumps back up to speed give or take . If i was going out for long hunt a small carry bottle would be ideal for a recharge . RWS superdome shoot real nice and hit hard

#8 WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

The pump offers about twice the resistance of a bicycle pump. It could only be awkward if you had back problems.It is a full sized adult rifle (39 inches long), although it's several inches shorter than my Beeman sportsman 1000 177cal. Also the Discovery is quite light (a mere 5 lbs.), not heavy at all.Lastly, although I haven't chrono'ed it, it pack a wallop and probably delivers at it's claimed 900 fps with .22 cal. Of course, your mileage will vary by pellet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users