• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Ok I am getting ready to order my barrel.. Just looking for some input of the difference between a 20" and a 24" Barrel. i am pretty sure I am going to go with a 1-9 twist. What will i get out of a 24" that the 20" wont give me. Any other information will be helpful. I want to use it for coyote and squirrel. Rober t
Rocklin,Ca

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

You don't say what cartridge the barrel is for. Generally what you get in the longer barrel is higher velocity.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

oops it is going to be 223 moe
Rocklin,Ca

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Go with the 24 incher! Better velocity and accuracy with the longer barrel. I'd also go with a heavy barrel for coyotes and squirels, you can shoot all day and not worry about heat or accuracy problems and it's worth the small amount of extra weight :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: !
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

Whats is it going to be fore ? Calling or just squirrels or both.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Get one of each !! :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

Go with the 24 incher! Better velocity and accuracy with the longer barrel. I'd also go with a heavy barrel for coyotes and squirels, you can shoot all day and not worry about heat or accuracy problems and it's worth the small amount of extra weight :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: !

I figure at 6-2 290- lbs the extra weight, of the gun not me, won't bother me that much.

Whats is it going to be fore ? Calling or just squirrels or both.

Both but probably more squirrels than yotes

Get one of each !! :yikes[1]:

Come on Heath if I was going to do that I would just get a another lower and a build a 204 upper

I really dont think you want a 24" barreled calling rifle. Your accuracy will not be improved, but you will have a marginal improvement in velocity. A 20" barreled AR15 will still let you pop squirrels out at 300-400 yards if you can shoot that well B) and be lighter and much easier to swing around on running coyote.

Capital to late I ordered a 24" fluted barrel this morning. If it doesnt work out i will jus have to build another one. B) Now when i work on the next one I can juast tell the wife this isnt new I am just working on the one I built last month honey I hope to have it done with pics by next week. Still need to get a scope mount going to put an old Leopold 3X9 on it for now. Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#8 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

Still need to get a scope mount going to put an old Leopold 3X9 on it for now. Robert

Go with those Picatinny rings that Heath has. They're the secksy!
Sheldon

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hey Robert, I have a slick automatic metal bandsaw. I can always trim that barrel for you. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

John, you sound like my Dad. He said he could try out the plasma cutter from work on it if I needed a few inches removed. I think I got it covered though I will just use my grinder then I can customize the barrel by engraving my name on it with my grinder :drool: Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#11 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

26 inch barrel from a benchrest excels accuracywise far downrange; 24 inch barrel in .223 seems out of place; 22 inch barrel makes a fine general-purpose varmint barrel; 20 inch barrel makes a fast-accessing brush gun. What is your main intent from the venerable .223?

#12 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

p.s. If you ordered a 24" barrel, it will work from a benchrest, but a bit lengthy for quick shots in heavy brush. For every advantage, a disadvantage rears its ugly head. Nothing is ever perfect or we'd all shoot the exact same THING.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:52 AM

Robert, I have a Hypertherm plasma cutter but it would make re-crowning the barrel harder to do. :signtripledogdare2wf:

Time waits for no one--

#14 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Its no the size of the barrel that counts its how you use it! :pot: :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: :pot: :P

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

:smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: :pot: :pot:

Time waits for no one--

#16 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Well I hope no one thinks I am over compensating by buying the longer barrel :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:
Rocklin,Ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users