• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Ok I am getting ready to order my barrel.. Just looking for some input of the difference between a 20" and a 24" Barrel. i am pretty sure I am going to go with a 1-9 twist. What will i get out of a 24" that the 20" wont give me. Any other information will be helpful. I want to use it for coyote and squirrel. Rober t

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

You don't say what cartridge the barrel is for. Generally what you get in the longer barrel is higher velocity.

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

oops it is going to be 223 moe

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Go with the 24 incher! Better velocity and accuracy with the longer barrel. I'd also go with a heavy barrel for coyotes and squirels, you can shoot all day and not worry about heat or accuracy problems and it's worth the small amount of extra weight :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: !

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

Whats is it going to be fore ? Calling or just squirrels or both.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

Get one of each !! :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

Go with the 24 incher! Better velocity and accuracy with the longer barrel. I'd also go with a heavy barrel for coyotes and squirels, you can shoot all day and not worry about heat or accuracy problems and it's worth the small amount of extra weight :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: !

I figure at 6-2 290- lbs the extra weight, of the gun not me, won't bother me that much.

Whats is it going to be fore ? Calling or just squirrels or both.

Both but probably more squirrels than yotes

Get one of each !! :yikes[1]:

Come on Heath if I was going to do that I would just get a another lower and a build a 204 upper

I really dont think you want a 24" barreled calling rifle. Your accuracy will not be improved, but you will have a marginal improvement in velocity. A 20" barreled AR15 will still let you pop squirrels out at 300-400 yards if you can shoot that well B) and be lighter and much easier to swing around on running coyote.

Capital to late I ordered a 24" fluted barrel this morning. If it doesnt work out i will jus have to build another one. B) Now when i work on the next one I can juast tell the wife this isnt new I am just working on the one I built last month honey I hope to have it done with pics by next week. Still need to get a scope mount going to put an old Leopold 3X9 on it for now. Robert

#8 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

Still need to get a scope mount going to put an old Leopold 3X9 on it for now. Robert

Go with those Picatinny rings that Heath has. They're the secksy!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hey Robert, I have a slick automatic metal bandsaw. I can always trim that barrel for you. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#10 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

John, you sound like my Dad. He said he could try out the plasma cutter from work on it if I needed a few inches removed. I think I got it covered though I will just use my grinder then I can customize the barrel by engraving my name on it with my grinder :drool: Robert

#11 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

26 inch barrel from a benchrest excels accuracywise far downrange; 24 inch barrel in .223 seems out of place; 22 inch barrel makes a fine general-purpose varmint barrel; 20 inch barrel makes a fast-accessing brush gun. What is your main intent from the venerable .223?

#12 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

p.s. If you ordered a 24" barrel, it will work from a benchrest, but a bit lengthy for quick shots in heavy brush. For every advantage, a disadvantage rears its ugly head. Nothing is ever perfect or we'd all shoot the exact same THING.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:52 AM

Robert, I have a Hypertherm plasma cutter but it would make re-crowning the barrel harder to do. :signtripledogdare2wf:

#14 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:01 PM

Its no the size of the barrel that counts its how you use it! :pot: :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: :pot: :P

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

:smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: :pot: :pot:

#16 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Well I hope no one thinks I am over compensating by buying the longer barrel :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users