• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

I went to the Gun Show today at the Kern County Fairgrounds. There were at least three different dealers selling lowers and complete AR's. Each one had a different design to make the Magazines fixed. One had a Bullet Button, one had the Prince 50 Maglock Kit (takes a allen wrench to remove) and the other guy it looked as though he glued the Mag Release with a big glob of rubber cement. I talked with a couple of them, one (using the Maglock Kit) said he keeps a bullet button on his at home, but he uses the Maglock when in public. He said it's all open to interpretation and that the Maglock Kit was "more legal". He also said, if you use the Bullet Button and release the mag, you can now accept a High Cap magazine which make the AR illegal. This is basically what aquaelvis has been saying. I heard the dealer with the glued Mag Release say to someone "if it had any kind of removable magazine, it would be illegal".Just stirring it up. I for one feel the bullet button makes my AR completely legal.It just amazes me how at one small show you can have dealers selling items in different configs and giving different advice.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Read the 2007 Dangerous Weapons Control Laws will tell you what is legal. You can find the laws on the DOJ website Firearms division.

#3 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

This is why I bought mine intact from a dealer as is, magazine is sealed and top loaded, no cops or F&G breathing down my back if I ever get pulled over or confronted.
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#4 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:18 AM

Say you have a Bullet button(requireing a tool/bullet to detach the mag) and you're hunting or at the range, and as soon as you use the tool to drop the mag, out pops whatever LE agency you're afraid of. They had you on a stake out/sting operation/whatever. Now they "caught" you with an open mag!! If you put the magazine back in the rifle immediately, how are they going to remove it?If they do so, it will have to be in the report if they mention that you didn't "FREEZE", but inserted the mag back into your rifle. They will have to use a tool to remove it for safety. Pretty much blows their whole case right there.I've talked to a Deputy District Attorney in San Diego, and he said he wouldn't bother prosecuting most any of the OLL related issues. He would only go after AW charges if they were tacked onto something else like: Drug dealer/Warrant search and AWs were found. It's not something they are pursuing.

#5 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

Guys please educate yourself on AR15. I am by no means an expert. but go to calguns dot net and read and read so you know the law. If you choose to take a more conservative approach that is fine, but please try not to spread misinformation The law does not say “attachable” magazine. First, SB-23’s core section readsQuote:12276.1. (a) (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity toaccept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: The definition of “detachable magazine” from the newly renumbered California Code of Regulations:Quote:5469. (a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Here is more information related to this topic http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45321I understand if some one wants to play it more conservative that is fine but it is nice to at least have the proper information to base your choice on. wannakillacoyote, When I first started looking for my OLL a friend who has a FFl said arent they still ilegal to buy. I said no and printed off information from Calguns and said try reading up on it there. Two days later he said hey anytime you want to ship your OLL here to do a tranfer of have me buy one for you let me know. He even wants to build one know. jim d, You keep refering to the 2007 Dangerous Weapons Control Laws will tell you what is legal. You can find the laws on the DOJ website Firearms division, Try reading some of the threads at calguns no only do they give the law but they interpret it also. killem_allI underastand you choice. But rememer California writes these laws confusing to make them even more limitted on gun owners. The way I look at is if someone else has tested the law then I am willing to go by that interpretation. RobT2KNow they "caught" you with an open mag!! nothing illlegal about that Cant wait for my barrel to get here so I can finish my build Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#6 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Now they "caught" you with an open mag!! nothing illlegal about that

Yeah, I know, I was being sarcastic.I've seen alot of misinformation here, from the folks that are taking the conservative route. Hopefully potential CA AR15 owners will check out Calguns.net and get informed.

#7 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

All I know is this...I purchased mine from a legal licensed dealer, if I for whatever reason catch any dog poop out in the field I'll deal with it then but for now I did everything legal as I was told via my local gun shop. I by no means claim to know the fine print of the law on this matter but what I do know is this...if California's politicians think im going to surrender my AR15 to my local police dept. when im done with it they are soarly mistaken, its going to one of my sons so that they can continue to rain terror on our predators and varmints! :signs1180lq:
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Just throwing this out there. My FFL happens to not only transfer lowers, but he also sells them and LPK's, uppers, flash hiders, BB's, Prince50's, etc. Oh, and one more thing...He works for DOJ.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

> Even Dealer's can't agree on the Legality of AR's in California

Nothing surprising there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users