14 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

I used my old and only hulla frog popper and caught a nice bass I didn't know it was a rare lure it works great why did they stop making them.i need a few more the only place I found them was on ebay .I released the bass. Posted Image Posted Image

#2 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:41 AM

That is awesome, I have some hula poppers. They are like 25 years old I bet. I never caught anything with them. (was only a kid and could barely cast) They are the only lure that I remember. (by name and sight) I always thought they were really cool looking and loved to watch them come back to shore. (thought the name was cool too) Thanks for the blast from the past, I'll need to look through my old tackle and see if I can still find mine!

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

I think I still have some of them too. Use to fish with them back in the day.

#4 moontiger

moontiger

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:I am a tattoo artist , and a navy vet, my kids and my wife are my world . I am just now getting back into hunting , but have been an avid shooter all my life.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

I love those things I used to make my own My Dad still has a set I made for him
There is room for all of Gods creatures...............Right next to my mashed potatos.PETA People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

Good lure they still make them I like the zarra spook and lucky 13 that heddon makes also. Maybe we can talk Peeker into posting some of his hair frogs that he makes . Its that time of the year to start chaising the fin varmints. Good fish Johnny
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

Hey Johnny you can find Hula Poppers for sale. Look here: http://www.lurenet.c...atid=HulaPopperThat is a nice bass.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

Who would think that a lure that old could catch a bass today? Why, I just heard the other day that for predators the old tactics just won't work. We need to modernize our equipment and try new things. LMAO!............BTW.......the Hula Popper is still one of my favorite top water lures but I haven't fished for bass in 34 years.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#8 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

but I haven't fished for bass in 34 years

I was 2 that last time you fished for bass!!! :roflmao3[1]:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hula Popper was the first lure I even used.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

Mine isn't that old got it when I was a teenager in the late 80's thanks SJ for that link I googled it and only found ebay. Get your hullas out they still work. I just love top water and seeing the bass take the lure that's the most fun to me.

#11 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

I just went down to Walmart to pick up the stamp for the extra pole and some extra hooks. Walmart sells Hula Poppers! They had plenty of them, I think they were like $4.96 Check your local stores. I am sure they are carried by all Walmarts, I think they all carry the same stuff.

#12 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:29 PM

Couldn't resist commenting on the Arbogast Hula Popper: can't just reel them in, since they must "pop." A serene evening with no wind disturbing the calm, a quick jerk, a hammered lure. Surface strikes are the most spectacular hits imaginable. Flying bass are my favorite kind.

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

that's the best description I ever heard cliff !! I like to leave it out there and pop it and wait.I will look for it AQ thanks for the info. I have a idea of a snake popper thinking of making one .Show me your home hand made lures if you have any.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

I loved using one of those as a kid on the ponds I fished. First thing in the morning or just as the sun was going down with little to no wind was my favorite time to use them. It never failed, my heart would race every time I got a hit.

#15 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hula Popper was the first lure I even used.

Bomber, here. One of my favorites was the Jitterbug but, still, the deadliest bass, trout, salmon, whatever lure is the Rapala. For bass I used the floater with a split shot crimped in front of it just far enough to get it above the weeds and then jerk, reel slack, jerk, reel slack. I've caught more bass with that method than any other way. I've used the Rapala to catch huge browns out of the Owens, catfish, bass, stripers and bluegill out of the Colorado and bottom fish and salmon and even halibut out of the ocean. IMHO it's the best all around lure there is. You can feel free to substitute the Rebel here. I fly fish now but if I were to go back to lure fishing I'd have a box full of Rapalas handy.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users