7 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

I went out and tried Kern River, fished there with worms and got nothing. It was pretty nice though, just to get out of town. (but the cars racing by kind of sucked) I also made a trip out to the aqueduct. (off 119 on the way to Taft) I went out there twice. I tried a bunch of lures with no luck at all. I read that some lures were good there, fake shad looking fish, rat-l-traps, etc. Some guys out there gave me some anchovie. I tried that and got a few bites. Holy smokes did my hands STINK after that... still stink :smiley_turkey_gobble: I went out again last night, about 5:00 until 8:30. I used anchovie and chicken liver. I did catch a small stripped bass on CL. He was about 10 inches or so. (still nice to catch something, sorry no pics) I am fishing the East side of the road. (driving on 119 towards Taft, I pull into the first lot on the right- before the aqueduct) There is a bend to the North, some people say to fish the turns. Do I want to be on the inside or outside of the turn? I don't see any gates around, is anyone familiar with this area? Any good, bad or better places to fish? Should I cross the duct and try the South side? (farther away from the turn) There are some BIG fish jumping out there. Don't look like strippers, not shiney but dull color. Any thoughts on what these are and what they are doing? There are only small insects out there, they can't be jumping for those. These are way too big for these tiny gnats. (there are smaller ones jumping too) Also, chicken liver is a pain. How exactly is the "best" way to bait a hook with this stuff? (please be specific) Also, what is the best way to set up for catfish? How many hooks does CA let you use? I think I read it was 3 but not sure if they are talking about treble hooks or singles? I saw some guys out there with some long set-ups, looked like they have several hooks on the line. I picked up a catfish rig from walmart but that only allows for one hook. Thoughts? Trying to give the yotes some time off... looking to fish some instead. Any help would be great. If any of you Kern County guys want to go out, PM me. I am free most evenings/nights, also some mornings.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'm pretty sure those fish jumping are carp. Try fishing rattle trap lures they work the best for me. I get bored sitting still so casting a lure is more productive.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

I was using a "bleeding shad" rat-l-trap. I didn't get a thing. What is the best method for pulling those in? Deep, fast, slow, jerky, jerk 'n drop, etc? What size, think the one I have is 1/2 oz? (looked pretty big but I guess some of those bass are big too)

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,955 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

I think 1/2 oz. is a bit small but they will catch fish. I like the bigger 3/4, 1 and 1and1/2 oz models. You never know for sure what speed or depth they're going to hit on. I just mix it up until I get hit. You might try pming Thumper Dunker or hit brother peeker seeker they fish the aqueduct for stripers. I usually fish the delta and rivers myself.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

I did the same thin AQ and caught nothing on the rat trap thumper told me it's not the right time for them right now. good luck next time.

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

Fish the outside of the tun infront so your line settles in the turn ,Use a two oz sinker on a slidder. .try under anny bridge and behind the gaits or falls . They should start hitting soon . I Need to start tying some big flies for them. I think if you get that second pole stamp you can use it in there now.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info... gonna go try it again this evening. The turn is not that far to walk, I'll give that a shot. There is a bridge, but that is right at the road (really? a bridge near the road... naw! :roflmao3[1]: ) I just figured that area was "fished out" being right next to the parking, etc. Maybe I'll try that when it gets dark. (rather be close to the truck) It makes sense that you could get the bait in the middle if using the high outside of the turn. (I should have thought of that!) I was wondering how anyone ever fishes the middle of that thing, my bait keeps running down stream and stops along the side.

#8 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

I just got back from fishing. I got another stripper! This one was a big boy. I don't have a scale and no idea what it weighed but it was about 18 inches long. It put up a great fight. Caught it while fishing the turn, great tip! (using chicken liver tied to a #2 hook)No catfish though... any thoughts? I am out from about 5:00 to 8:30 PM, I am packing it in too early for the cats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users