#1 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

The wife and I got out yesterday despite the snow to pattern our guns for turkey season. She was shooting her Mossberg 835 Ultimag with the factory choke and I was shooting my Remington 870 Super Mag with a Jelly Head choke I just bought. Shells tested were Winchester Supreme #5, Remington Nitro #4, and Federal #5, all 3" shells. We started at 30 yds then moved back to 40 yds.First, the Mossberg. Seems like her gun liked the Remington Nitro loads best. Put 27 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yds. But when moved back to 40 yds, the number of pellets dropped significantly. I don't recall the number of pellets, but not enough to provide a clean kill. I estimate her effective range at 35 yds.Attached File  IMG_1353.jpg   120.06KB   80 downloadsMossberg; Remington Nitro @30 ydsNext the 870. My gun like the Federal loads best, 22 pellets, followed by the Remington loads at 20 pellets. Fairly close but the Federal was tighter. Moved out to 40 yds. this is where my gun/choke combo out performed the Mossberg. I put 11 pellets in the kill zone. I really like the Primos Jelly Head choke. I would have tested my factory super full choke, but it was getting dark and cold. But if I recall right from last year, the Jelly Head is better.Attached File  IMG_1355.jpg   126.69KB   89 downloadsRemington 870; Remington Nitro @ 30 ydsAttached File  IMG_1357.jpg   122.68KB   82 downloadsWinchester @30 ydsAttached File  IMG_1358.jpg   121.14KB   87 downloadsFederal @ 30 ydsSo, the Mossberg appears to have done better at 30 yds, but the Remington was better 40 yds.While out there, we heard 2 seperate packs of coyotes howling. I ALMOST brought my calls and the 25-06 with me. Just before we left, a little tweety bird tried to land ON my barrel. Lucky for it, the gun wasn't loaded. Driving home, we saw the biggest porcupine I have ever seen. We thought it was a tumbleweed until it moved. Sorry, no pic. So that was our evening. Enjoy!

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sounds like you guys had a very productive evening. Nice going.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

You only need one pellet in the eye. But you did have a productive day. It looks like you learned a lot.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

We did learn alot. And the turkey I got last year was the golden bb in the eye...lol.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

That golden BB is the one that counts.LOL

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users