Photo

What Sling are you guys using on your Hunting AR's?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, me again. As you probably know I just finished my AR M4 recently. I bought a singlepoint sling for it (Spec.-Ops. Lonestar Single Point Sling) and while I have no doubt this is a good setup for busting down doors, with bullets flying, it seemed to be a PITA (or nuts or legs) when hunting yesterday. I am having a hard enough time carrying my fold up stool, shooting stick etc. without this think banging around on my front.Anyways, I am thinking of just going to a standard 2-point sling. What are you guys using for your Hunting AR's? My AR has the sling points already front and back, so I guess I would need something with the nylon and a buckle (I don't see how Uncle Mikes QD slings would work).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

I don't have an AR but last year I got one of those leather "Montana" slings and it is awsome. There are no buckles to mess with. It uses a kind of friction knot that holds very firmly but is still quick and easy to adjust. I think they come in black but I'm not 100% sure.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

I've tried a few slings on mine and nothing seems to fit right, my regular sling from my other rifles just looks odd on it, my brother has a Colt AR15 and has the tactical sling, think I might give that a go, but to answer your question I've been running around with my rifle with no sling, well not running but you get the picture...
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

If by Tactical, you mean Single point, that is what I was using. I think for it to be hands free friendly, you need to get some sort of catch to put on your belt. I forgot where I saw it, but it's a Velcro semi-stiff flap that you attach to your belt and it keeps the barrel from flopping around. Just looks to be too much of a hassle when walking in carrying other stuff. I will probably just put a regular padded sling with buckles at the ends on mine. It won't be as cool looking, but I think functionally it is a better choice.Like I said before, if I was using this in the Military (Would have loved to have had one when I was in the AF) or any kind of Tactical duty, it would be great, but for Yotes not so much.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Bayslayer

Bayslayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

This is the sling I use for my AR. http://www.specterge...m/cst_sling.htm

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

Sweet! thanks for the link. I like the M4 version M4 SlingHow long did it take you to receive?

#7 Bayslayer

Bayslayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I actually didnt buy mine online, I found a store in oceanside that sold them. But its a good sling and its hands free and well made.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

I've heard good things about the 3 point tactical slings.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#9 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but not AR's.If you don't want to spend the $$, I've made some great slings for less than $10 using the directions here:Build your own 3 point slingPosted ImagePlus you can customize it how you want. I wanted wider straps for all day carry comfort. That wasn't really available anywhere I could find. I also used heavy duty clips and buckles.

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Wow, great link! I love the idea of building my own. Plus they have tons of colors (I want Tan).I will probably be building one by the end of the week.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

I love my single point, but you do have to keep a hand on the grip to keep from getting beat up. A small pack for your gear and you're (mostly) good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users