Photo

What Sling are you guys using on your Hunting AR's?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, me again. As you probably know I just finished my AR M4 recently. I bought a singlepoint sling for it (Spec.-Ops. Lonestar Single Point Sling) and while I have no doubt this is a good setup for busting down doors, with bullets flying, it seemed to be a PITA (or nuts or legs) when hunting yesterday. I am having a hard enough time carrying my fold up stool, shooting stick etc. without this think banging around on my front.Anyways, I am thinking of just going to a standard 2-point sling. What are you guys using for your Hunting AR's? My AR has the sling points already front and back, so I guess I would need something with the nylon and a buckle (I don't see how Uncle Mikes QD slings would work).

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

I don't have an AR but last year I got one of those leather "Montana" slings and it is awsome. There are no buckles to mess with. It uses a kind of friction knot that holds very firmly but is still quick and easy to adjust. I think they come in black but I'm not 100% sure.

#3 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

I've tried a few slings on mine and nothing seems to fit right, my regular sling from my other rifles just looks odd on it, my brother has a Colt AR15 and has the tactical sling, think I might give that a go, but to answer your question I've been running around with my rifle with no sling, well not running but you get the picture...

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

If by Tactical, you mean Single point, that is what I was using. I think for it to be hands free friendly, you need to get some sort of catch to put on your belt. I forgot where I saw it, but it's a Velcro semi-stiff flap that you attach to your belt and it keeps the barrel from flopping around. Just looks to be too much of a hassle when walking in carrying other stuff. I will probably just put a regular padded sling with buckles at the ends on mine. It won't be as cool looking, but I think functionally it is a better choice.Like I said before, if I was using this in the Military (Would have loved to have had one when I was in the AF) or any kind of Tactical duty, it would be great, but for Yotes not so much.

#5 Bayslayer

Bayslayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

This is the sling I use for my AR. http://www.specterge...m/cst_sling.htm

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

Sweet! thanks for the link. I like the M4 version M4 SlingHow long did it take you to receive?

#7 Bayslayer

Bayslayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I actually didnt buy mine online, I found a store in oceanside that sold them. But its a good sling and its hands free and well made.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

I've heard good things about the 3 point tactical slings.

#9 RobT2K

RobT2K

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but not AR's.If you don't want to spend the $$, I've made some great slings for less than $10 using the directions here:Build your own 3 point slingPosted ImagePlus you can customize it how you want. I wanted wider straps for all day carry comfort. That wasn't really available anywhere I could find. I also used heavy duty clips and buckles.

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Wow, great link! I love the idea of building my own. Plus they have tons of colors (I want Tan).I will probably be building one by the end of the week.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

I love my single point, but you do have to keep a hand on the grip to keep from getting beat up. A small pack for your gear and you're (mostly) good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users