• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

Took my son and a couple of my buddies out to Orville today. Got a late start did not launch until 7:30 am. Was a little woried only three boats at the ramp and had not heard anything lately about the coho. so we launched and headed over to the bridge, and dropped lines in at 10' and 20' in front of the Marina. First fish before we got all four rods in the water. trolled to the the bridege made the turn under the bridge and back to our starting point. we landed 10 fish on the first complete loop. Then had to drop down a littl and picked a few up at 15 and 25 feet. Starte letting out line to reset the downrigggers and we hit two fish toplinning. We did another 1 1/2 loops and landed out limit of 20 for 4. Hoochies and berkley minnows worked the best. off the water with our limits by 11:00. The best part was when I put my son down for his nap about 30 minutes ago. He said dad I love it when we go fishing . smile and says can we go again tomorrow. :signs1180lq: Robert

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hey Robert that's great. We have a houseboat up at Oroville. You need to try some black rubber grubs too. Those things are killer. We often get hit while letting out the rig. Man those things are good eating too.

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

Hey Robert that's great. We have a houseboat up at Oroville. You need to try some black rubber grubs too. Those things are killer. We often get hit while letting out the rig. Man those things are good eating too.

Shooter John, We use to just use grubs and do great. This last year durring a slow spell we started using the berkley stick minnows both in plastic and power bait models and started nailing fishing when nothing else was working. I actually caught my first two with a grub then just changed up to try some other things. We also started tipping the lure with a piece of cured anchoives a few summers back and this seems to really up the hooks up #'s. We did not see very much net movement on the other three boats in the area. Talked to two gentlemen on the way in and both said they were not having a good day. We have really got the lake dialed over the last three seasons. I fished it a lot to prior to the virus and them not being planted for a few years. Robert

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

We've fished Oroville for 25 years. When they used to have Kings instead of the Coho we often caught them 12 to 17 pounds. My mother in law once brought in a Kings eye that was the size of a silver dollar. We kept itin alcohol for a couple of years to show people. I used to like to bass fish there but I'm a troller deep down. Laketroller that's me.

#5 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

Coho in the spring??? You must be lake fishing. We don't even start talking coho until mid June and in Alaska the first cohos don't show up until sometime in mid July with the main run being in late August or early September. How big are these fish?I'm dying to get out and catch some fish. Salmon, trout, rockfish.........I don't care. I'm just sick of wet and cold.

#6 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

Moe,These are land lockedl. Little baby ones LOL about 14-17 inches will be 20"+ by July. The little suckers fight nice on light tackle. John, I sure wish they could put back the kings, would be nice to troll for 12-14lb kings in the lake. What kind of number would you catch in a days outing? although Nothing like a 20+ fish day sure keeps the little ones interested in fishing, Robert

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

I have caught 60+ fish in a day. I once took twelve people from our group out in one morning and they all got limits. They were so thrilled to catch fish.Do you fish at Folsom? The Kings there have been biting.

#8 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

My parents fish down below the dam...I'm going to see if I can scan some pics of the salmon my mmom and dad catch there. Great fishing.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

There's a shelf that runs along near the dam that the salmon come up on to catch bait fish. There is other similar structure around the lake and also very productive. I've fished Folsom since the early 60's. It's gone through a lot of changes but the fish are there if you know where to look. :popcorn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users