Photo

How far out does a squirrel have to be to be safe from an airgun?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

This was late in the day and the wind had really laid down. That's a 14.5 grain pellet that tossed him around on impact. When the conditions are right, I'm taking ground squirrels out to 100 yards, and even then the pellets are going right through them. The laser range finder is what has really extended the ranges that I can hit these guys at. Knowing the exact range, and the trajectory curve of the pellet that I shoot from each gun is the secret. This guy thought he was safe. :) :) :smiley_green_with_envy: WRONG!!! :) http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

How far out does a squirrel have to be to be safe from an airgun?

A lot farther than from you to him I guess! Damn Cliff, that was a fair poke and a clean kill. Do you think we could get a pellet manufacture to make exploding pellets? I love the way they work but once in awhile I'd like to see one explode too. :smiley_green_with_envy: I'm a big fan of trajectory charts. You really have to be to be a consistent shot. It sure looks like you did your homework on that guy. :)

#3 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

Nice shooting.A few years ago a friend and I went to an old feed yard. GS by the hundreds. We shot from 10 yards away and as the picking became slim we moved out to 2o yards, then 30 yards, then 40 yards, etc. When the dust cleared we were taking GS at 100+ yards. It was a day to remember. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Remove the scope cap, raise the elevation and shoot. Raise the elevation and shoot. We shot free hand for over 2hours. As the range increased we were forced to use the fence posts. At the end of the day I was termianlly hooked on airguns for GS.

#4 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

A squirrel at 90 yards, a Beeman Field Target Special 8.9 grain .177 caliber out of a Diana 350 Magnum, can equal a dead squirrel. Aim is extremely crucial when air rifle hunting, ever so much more delicate than when using a gunpowder round (.223 Remington). Fifty yard shots with air-power is much more practical than a ninety yard Hail Mary shot. Pellet drop is the greatest enemy of compensation. cliff

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:17 PM

DANG :) Nice shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users