10 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Going to start reloading my .45 ACP here soon. Wondering if anybody else on here loads theirs. Will be using the Barnes 185gr XPB. Can use either Unique or Universal Clays. Anyone have any good suggestions? Waiting to hear back from Barnes and some others on their suggestions.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

I've only used Unique for my .45 Cal Hornady loads thus far and I am happy with it. I will continue to use it as well.

#3 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

Curious, what are you going to use this load for?

#4 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

I used Unique for many years but switched to TightGroup about 3 years ago .it shoots clean is very stingy on the amount of powder needed ,I get consistent groups in my kimber,Firestorm and CZ - 45 ACP's.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

As I recall, if you shoot Unique in a dimly lit area, you get a flashbulb effect. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

Curious, what are you going to use this load for?

I tend to carry my .45 on me when I am hunting yotes. Because 80% of my hunting is in the lead free area, I don't want to be in trouble since otherwise I would be possessing lead on me while hunting (and that is a big time no no).Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#7 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

.45 ACP 185 grain TARGET loads with 4.3 grains of Hodgdon Clays produce clean, economical fun in 1911s. Cliff

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:57 AM

Thanks, not shooting traget loads. It is an all copper HP 185gr. Still that gives me a starting point! And my Sig P220 will shoot just fine what shoots in a 1911. :)Darren

#9 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Have just started using Alliant Power Pistol powder working toward a 185 grain Hornady HP/XTP/MAG hunting load in .45 ACP. I should hope a Barnes Copper Warrior in 185 grain would work well also. Will let you know as weather warms and my fingers thaw, and I expand my range of bullet experimentation. Cliff

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:20 AM

Made several calls yesterday. Here is what I am coming up with as a starting load.Winchester Large Pistol primer, Starline brass, Barnes 185gr XPB.Clays 3.5grUnique 5.5grBoth Hodgdon and Alliant were very interested in how these loads do. These are not +P loads. The guy at Alliant (Mike) was working off of some other non-official load data to get me a safe starting point. Barnes has only done testing with Ram Shot and Alliance, and hasn't tested with Hodgdon or Alliant. The Barnes guy sent me supplemental load data that had Hodgdon Longshot listed in testing. I took that load, and went to the Hodgdon website and looked for the comparable load in Clays (230 gr JHP) and that is how I am arriving at my starting point. Will be interested to see how this comes out. Barnes told me that they see about 20% increase in pressure because of the long shank of the .45 bullet.Darren

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

great topic D-man I too need some info on the 45. This would be a great adventure for you finding to best load for the barnes xpb .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users