Photo

It was a ground squirrel whacking delight.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Man what a blast. I just got back home from four and a half days of ground squirrel hunting on the Tejon Ranch. As usual this time of year, the furballs were everywhere. The rut is in full swing. The way these guys chase after the girls, sort of reminded me of my high school days. :signgreatreport3kg: Anyway I used their preoccupation with the task at hand, to waylay the snot out of a small truck load of the suckers. B) :o :lol: Here's a video of one that was taking a breather from the pursuit of happiness. B) :P http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

That's a great piece of video. He just sort of folds up and takes a header. Tejon Ranch just seems like an untapped resource for squirrel hunting with an airgun. I think you'd never leave there, except to go get your air tank filled that is. Great stuff as usual. :signgreatreport3kg:

#3 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:58 AM

Good one! :signgreatreport3kg:

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

Cliff do you have a picture of the airgun you were using that you could share with us. Also how did those NEW pellets work out as a whole. I know they put a hole in everything you shot with them. :signgreatreport3kg:

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

John, here's a picture of the RWS Rapier and the first squirrel I took with her last week. It's a discontinued gun, but I found it used, and had a blast squirrel hunting with it. I also hunted with a couple of other PCP's, and I'll post some pics and videos from those a bit later.The DYNAMIC tin alloy pellets are working great out of my PCP's. I have yet to wish I could shoot lead pellets again on the ranch. They are pricey as pellets go, but it's either use them on the ranch or give up hunting there with my airguns. I might shoot up a $100 worth of them this season. In the overall scheme of things that's background noise. Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

I remember when you got that RWS Rapier. I just couldn't picture it but remember you were thrilled with it when you received it. Isn't that the one you shot the front door with? :lol: I was hoping you'd post a picture of the Dynamic pellets, thanks for doing that. It will make finding them easier. I'm glad they worked out so well. What's a $100 over a whole year of shooting? That's a cheap price to pay to be able to still hunt Tejon Ranch. :signgreatreport3kg:

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hey John, actually it was the FX 2000 that I shot the front door with. That's when I found out that a pellet trap that works well for spring powered airguns ain't maybe so hot for a PCP. B) I did also discover, that a solid oak front door will stop a pellet from a PCP every time, but IT WILL LEAVE A MARK EVERY TIME! :signgreatreport3kg: :lol: B) The DYNAMIC pellets are available in this country from Airguns of Arizona. Check under their pellet section. They are listed under DYNAMIC. They just received a new shipment, and I grabbed 10 boxes of the PCP2's with the 5.54mm head diameter.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

:P I got the wrong airgun. But I do remember you shooting the door. :signgreatreport3kg: I know what you're saying about the pellet traps not working with the PCP guns. You should see the BIG dent in mine! :lol: It sounded like someone hit it with a hammer right before it flipped over backward and fell off of the saw horse I had it sitting on. B) So I dragged out my rimfire trap and used it a few times. But the noise of the pellets smacking it sounded like I was driving spikes for a railroad spur in my backyard. B) So it looks like I'll have to go to Home Depot and get some additional electrical seal and add a steel plate to my silent pellet trap. If I shot it now it would be the new ventilated version and I don't need any through and through holes in it. :o

#9 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

You are some fine shooting. I have been out looking and the GS population is VERY low. I may have to resort to reading your posts to get my GS fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users