2 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

I have hunted the Ca ground squirrel for many many years. I started out with a Sherridan .20 cal, and it was lots of fun. A friend loaned me his springer (RWS Mod 48 .22) for 3 days to try out. I had a RWS 48 .177 a week after he came and got his gun. I have never looked back.To the topic.Where to hunt? I ride around with my airgun in the truck and stop at farms and dairies. I carry my pellets in a belt pouch on my waist (no jokes). If I see a property that has lots of ground squirrels I stop and introduce myself to the person that looks like he is in charge. Example, Hello sir, my name is Bo and I see that you have lots of GS damage to your property. I hunt so and so`s property and I do it with an airgun. NOW BEFORE the person can get a word out I have opened the belt pouch and have a pellet out for the person to see. You will be surprised at how this calms them down. Not wanting a powder burner on the property. My airgun is in the bed of the truck, I open the tailgate, get the case, open it and present the airgun to said person. I ask them to hold it, (most don`t want to) (but you see I OFFERED). I load a pellet and shoot it away from cattle, cows, horses, buildings, or anything that can, might, may or will be damaged. Let the owned know that you respect his property. Don`t shoot near the animals, trucks, tractors, buildings, etc.I dress for the occasion, blue jeans and a t-shirt. Be courtious, be nice, and when you leave the property tell the owner/person in charge how many GS you killed. I killed 100+ GS next to a feed/grain storage building and told the owner. He said REALLY? Kill them all!Yesterday I was on my motorcycle and stopped by a farmers truck, he was working the water. I asked and was told that I would take his card, call him in two weeks and he will watch me and make a decision. He stated if I did good he would introduce me to other farmers in the area. In all the years that I have airgun hunted I have been turned down once, and it by a woman. She had that look on her face when I got out of the truck. She was not nice.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

Great post topic. :signs1180lq: I've met that same woman! :roflmao3[1]: A few times too. :smiley_kewlpics: It is all about being courteous and airguns are usually a great way to get your foot in the door so to speak. Most smaller operations aren't afraid to let a person with an airgun shoot there.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

:signgreatreport3kg: :doh[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users