• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:36 AM

I've been an airgunner since a kid. I always had a Sheridan that worked and several years back I got into springers and bought a few Beeman's that I really liked. But since watching VarmintAir (Cliff) and all of his new PCP toys I thought the time has come for me to get one. I prefer to shoot left handed but finding many if any adult air rifles in left hand is an accomplishment in itself. But I finally got a couple of ideas talking to Cliff and found what I was looking for. I sent an email to Straight Shooters and inquired about Air Arms PCP's and what I was looking for. They actually showed a nice left handed sporter stock in walnut. But since I was paying some pretty good money and going all out on a NEW Air Hog tank and all the goodies I really wanted a thumbhole stock. I was told they could order one but it would take between 30 and 45 days to get one. Bummer, I really didn't want to wait that long. So I thought about it and called to see what else they had. Apparently it just so happens it depends who you talk to as to what they have in stock. I had been looking at the Air Arms S400 ERB-Walnut which is a single shot but it was a available in a LH thumbhole. But when I called I said I really would like a repeater with a magazine but you guys don't carry those in LH. He said yes we do, I was really excited now. He said in fact I have one sitting right here in front of me. But I said it's RH right? He said no it's LH and a thumbhole. Man I jumped on it right now. I had bought from them before so they had my info already and I added a bunch of extra stuff. He said let me open this thing to be absolutely sure it's what is marked on the box. I waited patiently and then he said yes it is, and I think you'll be extremely happy with how it looks. They have a new cocking feature on the newest models and I was almost afraid to ask if this was an old model. He said NO it's the new lever model. I can't tell you how thrilled I was. So it was off in the next days UPS and I got my tracking numbers. The tank was drop shipped from Air Hog so it arrived two days early. Then Wednesday arrived and the UPS driver pulls up and gives me one little tiny package. I said HEY there should be a BIG package too. He dug around and said here it is. That's a relief it got here. I was going to open them right then but had gotten some bad news so I didn't get around to opening them until a day and a half later.So here she is my latest adult air rifle an Air Arms S410 ERB Thumbhole. Nice piece of wood if I say so myself. I guess that's why they said I'd be pleased with it. Thanks for your help Cliff!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageHere's the gun's target from the the store showing they checked it.Posted ImageHere's the new Airhog tank to fill it with.Posted ImageNow to go get the tank filled and wring her out. I'm hoping to use her this weekend for turkey hunting since here in California it's actually legal to use an air rifle of .20 cal or larger for turkey and mine is .22 cal.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

Wow!! That thing is plumb purdy. How do you fill the tank? How many shots per tank? I don't know much about these, but I hope you don't have to carry the tank around with you. I am assuming that you fill the rifle off the tank? If so, how many shots before a refill?

#3 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

That is a dam nice looking gun . Today i also treated myself to a new airgun just couldn't resist it so i ordered the benjiman discovery also in .22cal i'am stoked and should get it in a week . Enjoy your turkey hunt that has to be a trill to score a gobbler with a airgun i hope the discovery can take down some of the 25 30 pound racoons that roam my yard nightly

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

That is nice wood. I'm starting to get the airgun itch! :good:

#5 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

Nice..... :good:

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Today i also treated myself to a new airgun just couldn't resist it so i ordered the benjiman discovery also in .22cal i'am stoked and should get it in a week .

VarmintAir on here just ordered a Benjamin Discovery. They look like a very nice setup and for $400 including hand pump you can't beat the price. He's going to test it and do a write up on it. I think those would make a great carry around airgun because they're nice and light.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Rod I'm not sure yet how many shots I'll get from the gun or the tank yet. It all depends on the power setting you use on the gun. No, you don't have to carry that big tank around with the gun. Just leave it in the car and refill the gun as needed. They also make a baby tank that you can carry along with you if you are going to be a long distance from the vehicle. That big tank hold 88 cubic feet of air at 4500 pounds per square inch! That's a bunch of air.

#8 SAGITARUS

SAGITARUS

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:many lots of sport hobbies, such as mtn biking, snorkeling, surf fishing,hiking, and most recently, archery.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

SJ, how much did the "AIRHOG TANK" cost ya?

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

$585 with all of the fittings.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

You guys are going to get me in trouble.But thats OK :) :smiley_kewlpics: Thats a real pretty gun .

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

Now I am drooling even more! Might just have to get a new Springer in .22 caliber soon. But I do need more dies, powder, primers, etc to start reloading my .45 ACP. Such decisions!Darren

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

John, thanks for the pictures. That is sure a remarkable piece of wood. I wonder if all the stocks are that nice or you just got a particularly nice one?

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

It's the nicest one I've seen but then I've only seen one other thumbhole. The Sporter stocks are just utilitarian grade wood.

#14 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

SJ that is one very nice spitter. I really dig that CF tank.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

Yeah Jeff, I took it to get the tank filled and what a run around. First they wouldn't fill it, then they finally said ok and then they blew a seal on their filling station and the guy ran away like it was going to explode. :smiley_kewlpics: I don't think I'll be going back to that particular place. I'm still not sure exactly how much of a fill I got. Fire department here I come.

#16 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

WOOOOWWWWW!!! Is she a beauty or what. That has to be the nicest thumbhole I've seen to date. Now don't make her a safe queen because you're afraid of scratching her. :lol: :o If I were a turkey, (ha, ha, I know what you're thinking :P ) this spring I'd volunteer to be whacked with that beauty. :signgreatreport3kg: I can hardly wait for the critter whacking adventures to begin. B) Congratulations, you got a real keeper. B)

#17 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

did a scuba place try and fill the tank? what did they charge ya for a fill? sweet looking rifle by the way!

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

No I went to a paintball place because they have a 4500 psi fill station there and I was hoping for a full tank. None of the scuba shops I've talked to so far will fill past 4000 psi. The cost where I went was $5 and that's good all day long or if I had multiple tanks which I do. But I need to get two of them hydro tested first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users