#1 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:04 AM

Went out and bought the wife a turkey gun last night (no waiting period up here), a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag with a thumbhole. We were originally looking for a Pardner pump which she seemed to like when we saw one at a raffle at Cabela's, as soon as she picked up the Mossberg that was all she wrote. It's a nice gun for the money and should serve her well. Matter of fact, I might try to find a thumbhole stock for my 870. Anybody know where I can find one? I've tried looking online and no luck so far. Will post a report when we go pattern it.Attached File  63135.jpg   86.08KB   97 downloads

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,178 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Nice gun she should like that. As for the 870 thumbhole stock you might try a quick Google?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

I have the same shotty here myself, and I think woody has the pistol grip model also. Seems to do a good job. I also picked up a DC choke for it, but think the standard choke that comes with it performed better. Take a look back at my thread and see what the patterning looked like.
John in Tulare, Ca

#4 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

Nice gun she should like that. As for the 870 thumbhole stock you might try a quick Google?

I did try that. Haven't found what I want. I'd like it camo so it matches the rest of my gun.

#5 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

I have the same shotty here myself, and I think woody has the pistol grip model also. Seems to do a good job. I also picked up a DC choke for it, but think the standard choke that comes with it performed better. Take a look back at my thread and see what the patterning looked like.

Thanks. That helps a little, but we're going to be shooting 3" turkey loads with #5 shot so the pattern will be different.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,178 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

Jake have you tried contacting Remington since they make a camo thumbhole for the 870? You should be able to get a replacement from them.870 camo thumbhole

Time waits for no one--

#7 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

I agree that the stock choke is real close in performance to a Carlson Dead Coyote choke. I know of two of the hand grip guns, including mine, that shoot about 8 inches high at 40 yards and there is not enough adjustment in the sights to adjust it out. I don't know about the thumbhole model. I had to use a red dot sight to get it on target.SteveH
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#8 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

I agree that the stock choke is real close in performance to a Carlson Dead Coyote choke. I know of two of the hand grip guns, including mine, that shoot about 8 inches high at 40 yards and there is not enough adjustment in the sights to adjust it out. I don't know about the thumbhole model. I had to use a red dot sight to get it on target.SteveH

Steve, mine seem to me that is shot right on target, not high nor low, looking at those targets I shot at in my thread that used the doggie outline. Close enuff for me, ha, as am a bad shot anyway, and any wavering either way will help LOL
John in Tulare, Ca

#9 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

Jake have you tried contacting Remington since they make a camo thumbhole for the 870? You should be able to get a replacement from them.870 camo thumbhole

Thanks John! They do have one for $160.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,178 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

I don't know what they would sell for, but I know you can purchase replacement parts from Remington.

Time waits for no one--

#11 Chris M

Chris M

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Cars & Trucks, Audio/Video, Computers.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

There's also the Remington Sure-Shot stock for the 870.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users