13 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

I video taped this target while sighting in my Monsoon at 45 yards. The digicam is on a tripod just off to the left of the target frame. I'm shooting from a portable shooting stand 45 yards to the rear. When the gun fires, all I hear at my end is the "tink" of the hammer hitting the air valve. At 45 yards, all you hear is the pellet going through the target. That's how quiet it is out there in squirrel land.Here's the clip: http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2Here's a clip of the typical reaction from a squirrel when the gun fires. The sound of the pellet impacting one squirrels head makes the other one look up, but he doesn't spook. These two were a little over 50 yards away. This is in real time, so you get a better idea of what the gun sounds like when firing. Out where the squirrels are, they hear almost nothing. No muzzle blast to spook them.Here's the clip: http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2Here's a picture of the Monsoon and a few furballs.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

I'd switch to being right handed to get one of those. I think that's my next purchase. :good:

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

The Monsoon is a hoot to shoot. Twelve round semi-auto. They don't make it in lefty, but since you don't have cycle the bolt, it might work ok for you shooting right handed. Here's a couple more picks of her squirrel whacking ability. The two on the stump were taken back to back at 80 and 76 yards. They were sitting on mounds on the side of a very steep hill. I took the guy at 80 yards first, and as he was tumbling down the hill, I used the same hold and rolled the one at 76 yards. They were both kind enough to tumble down to where it was easy for me to get them for the requisite photo-op. :good: Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Now, that was very nice to watch. Very good. I am very interested in the gun you were shooting and the scope used. Could you expound some on those, please. I am going to an auction Sunday where they will have 65 pellet rifles and 35 pistols for auction. 1000's of pellets. I am going to load up.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

This is the type of pellet rifle I'd like to get as well when I'm in the market for another. My B-Sheridan in .177 is louder than my .22 rimfires. I would love something extremely quiet, semi-auto and accurate for backyard plinking. I would agree with Mr Del, please elaborate all you can.

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

I am going to an auction Sunday where they will have 65 pellet rifles and 35 pistols for auction. 1000's of pellets. I am going to load up.

Just curious, where is this Auction you are talking about?

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

After I posted here earlier, I "Googled" Monsoon. That is a lot out of my price range, thank you. Of course, the best is expensive. I would still love to have one.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Wow, I just did the same. I need more rifles before I need a super expensive airgun I think. But man, do I want one.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

Jeff that is the FX Monsoon and just the air rifle is $1449. They're high dollar but very quiet thanks to a shrouded barrel and are semi automatic.Mr Del, before you run out and buy a lot of pellets find what you gun likes. Not all pellets shoot well in all rifles in fact very few shoot well. It's a trial and error search finding the ones that shoot best in your particular gun. Most of my air rifles like JSB pellets. But I have some of almost ever variety of pellet made. I use them to test my different guns.

#10 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

Thats a real nice looking gun and it sure gets the job done nice shooting i guess theres no limit on tree rats in california . Here in NY i have and endless supply everywhere it is a daunting task keeping them from digging up my garden.

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

There's no limit and no season on ground squirrels in CA. For a target rich environment there's little to compare with an alfalfa ranch taken over by a desert ground squirrel colony :censored[1]: .The ones in VarmintAir's pics are Golden Manteled Ground Squirrels. They are a forest dwelling ground squirrel. Link to Western Ground Squirrels My fav for spring shooting is the Belding. It's the scourge of alfalfa ranchers in CA, NV, OR, etc.

#12 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

Nice shooting and great pics and movie :) :fireworks3: :drool: :smiley_kewlpics: :signs1180lq:

#13 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

do you recharge it with CO2 or Compressed air?

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

It is charged with compressed air. Either from a special very high pressure hand pump or a scuba tank setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users