26 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

The Brown guy dropped off the barrel I ordered from Dedicated Technology today. It is a 20" stainless fluted barrel from Shilen with a 1 in 10 twist and is chambered for 6 x 45. I have all of the parts to put it together and hope to get after it this weekend.Anyone have any links for instructions on assembling your own upper?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

www.ar15.com has step by step directions check it outRobert

#3 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

I have that same gas block..

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

That is sweet, can't wait to see and hear about the build. I was thinking of doing my own upper but thought that might be a too much work.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Man that thing is PURDY! I can't wait to hear how it goes together and fires.If you need me to test it out for you just send it my way and I'll slap it on one of mine! :rolleyes:

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Man at this rate I may have to open an AR-15 only forum! :lol: Nice setup! I like that look. :rolleyes:

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

That's good looking! No, my barrel was a 6mm and he had them in stock.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Man at this rate I may have to open an AR-15 only forum! :rolleyes:

I was going to actually say something about that!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Ok I added a new AR-15 forum. :rolleyes:

#10 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

haha that was funny...It took all of 4 mins to make a ar-15 forum...

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

Well I am missing the small roll punch I need to get the Badger Tac-Bolt Latch installed so I will make a trip to Harbor Freight soon. It also appears the dust cover and spring I ordered from Midway are still on back order.BUT, I did get the forward assist installed.Posted ImageHere is the tach latch that will be going on later.Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd finally I assembled my JP Enterprise bolt carrier group. Here it is ready to roll!Posted Image

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Very nice, that bolt latch should make it easier for you to use.

#13 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

Cranky where did you buy the barrel from? have any links or price?

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

That's gonna be one niiice AR!! I love my lightweight setup. Let me know how the Badger install goes. I have one similar I got from miday, but I am sceered I am gonna trash this thing getting that pin in-out.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Cranky where did you buy the barrel from? have any links or price?

I bought the barrel from Mike Milli at Dedicated Technology. He has a whole slew of different calibers so check out his site. He usually sells complete uppers but if you contact him (phone # and e-mail addy on his site) and tell him you want a barrel he will quote you a price.

Let me know how the Badger install goes. I have one similar I got from miday, but I am sceered I am gonna trash this thing getting that pin in-out.

I just finished and it was a PAIN. I bought a punch today small enough to press out that small arse roll pin. So long as your punch is small enough to pass through the roll pin whole and you make sure everything is lined up you won't tear anything up. I couldn't do the job on my own and actually ended up getting my wife to lend a hand. I didn't push the roll pin out completely, just far enough to remove the old latch. When you do it push the original pin out from the bottom side and it will be a whole lot easier to get back together. When the new latch goes in you can hold it up to a light and look through the roll pin and see when the hole on the latch is lined up so you can get the pin pushed through. It's a pain and you may want to have someone around to help when you get started. Good luck!Posted Image

#16 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:59 AM

That is one PURTY barrel Cranky . May I ask what you paid for it ? My 6x45 barrel was used for a 100.00 ,by Noveske . Have you tried loading from the data I sent you ? And update me on how it shoots too please . It's nice to see another 6x45 on here . I just got a 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms . have not shot it yet though . And I still am pondering building one in .20 tactical .

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

Between the barrel, fluting and the other stuff I had him do I've got a little over 5 bills in this barrel.I just dug out some 223 brass yesterday and ran it in the tumbler. Once I get a few things done today I will sit down and start necking up that 223 stuff.Mike can chamber a barrel for you in 20 Tactical or Vartag and has barrels in 1:9, 1:10 and 1:12 twist in the .20 cal.

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

Those Badger tach latches make the AR easy to load, but they also dig straight in to your back when using a sling to carry your rifle.

I bet that is right!My dust cover has been ordered and should ship out today. Unfortunately I have to install it before I can put the barrel on. I did start sizing 223 brass up to accept a 6mm bullet last night and working on uniforming those primer pockets. After uniforming the flash holes I will get them a quick tumble and sit down and load up some ammo!

#19 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

The Badger latch is great, I have one on mine... Its just a pain dont have one and have a scope on it.

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

I finished it up tonight!Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

Looks great! I see you found out how to install the ejection port dust cover. :smiley_kewlpics:

#22 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Looks great! I see you found out how to install the ejection port dust cover. :smiley_kewlpics:

Thanks. Yes,, I Googled up a good picture showing how it should be installed and then used one f my wifes hair pin things to pull the small end of the spring into place. It actually worked pretty good! Tomorrow I am going to try and sneak off and do some reloading for it.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

That should be fun. Then maybe you can get it out and run some rounds through it.

#24 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

What rings are you using? Those look really sweet! I was thinking of trying to add a Holographic sight in addition to my 3-9x40 scope. That might actually work with those rings. It would look kinda goofy with another sight on top, but it would be nice for those fast close shots.

#25 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

What rings are you using?

http://www.midwayusa.../...&t=11082005Just be careful about tightening them. As you can read in the review a few people have stripped them out.

#26 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

HiCranky , have you taken it out yet and put it on paper ? just wondering ? also what loads are you going to try in it ? I use 27 gr of h335 w/ 70 gr tnt , per the former owners info . it holds 1/2 " regularly at 100 yrds .

#27 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Not yet. My wife is at Ft Hunter - Liggitt for a few more weeks so I have the two little ones to watch by myself. I am going to try and get out to shoot after she gets home. Considering this is going to be primarily a coyote getter for me I have loads in 55, 58, 60 and 65 grains to try shooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users