Photo

What's your favorite off the shelf .223 round for Yotes?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

I asked for the ammo area, so i thought I would start it off. Thanks ShooterJohn!I have only used the 45gn Winchester Varmint 40 packs (but not on any Yoyes yet).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

I've only shot the Black Hills 50g V-Max's out of my .223. It likes it. No yotes with it yet. :drinks:
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

I talked with Dean Rowden, co-owner of Ten Percent Firearms in Taft, today and he mentioned that they have 10K rounds of Winchester white box .233 ordered and expect it to arrive next week. I think he said 55gr hp, but am not sure. He also said you guys will have to line up behind me to get it! :drinks:
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Any idea how much? Depending on price, maybe you could pick me up some since you can go there on your lunch hour. :drinks: Also, have you heard of any availability of the non-lead factory stuff?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

I've only shot the Black Hills 50g V-Max's out of my .223. It likes it. No yotes with it yet. :drinks:

Same here. Just switched to 50 NBT after running out of the 50 V-Max blue box. They make one heck of a hole. Cabelas doesn't show them anymore. Where can thse be purchased? If you don't mind my asking.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:25 PM

I shot my first yote with the black hills 50gr v-max load. It worked so well I started handloading my own with the same bullet. Every yote scince then has been taken with a handload.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Any idea how much? Depending on price, maybe you could pick me up some since you can go there on your lunch hour. :drinks: Also, have you heard of any availability of the non-lead factory stuff?

Dean didn't know the price but Win white box has always been a bargain even at a higher price than Costco charged when they could get it. I have talked to no one in the greater Bakersfield area, including Ten Percent Firearms, who is even thinking about non-lead ammo yet. Scary stuff huh?

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Yes it is scary. I guess they are thinking/hoping it will not happen or people will just keep buying the lead stuff. I guess if it goes through the dealers in the lead ban areas may get stuck with a bunch of ammo.Costco!?! I didn't know you could get ammo at Costco!!

#9 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

Costco!?! I didn't know you could get ammo at Costco!!

Whoops! I meant Walmart.

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

Black Hills 55gr Soft point in my mini-14. Shoots just great!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

Same here. Just switched to 50 NBT after running out of the 50 V-Max blue box. They make one heck of a hole. Cabelas doesn't show them anymore. Where can thse be purchased? If you don't mind my asking.

I shoot Red Box, I have found them at Midway but they won't ship to my door because I live in Sacramento. I ended up getting my last 50 rounds through Cabela's.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

Thats why I reload, 55 grain nosler spitzer.

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,697 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Wenchester white box 50 gr soft points got tierd of not finding them Thats what got me reloading . reloads are same speed and bullet.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#14 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

Winchester 45 JHP, but still haven't seen any on the shelves. I still have a couple hundred rounds left.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

I talked with Dean Rowden, co-owner of Ten Percent Firearms in Taft, today and he mentioned that they have 10K rounds of Winchester white box .233 ordered and expect it to arrive next week. I think he said 55gr hp, but am not sure. He also said you guys will have to line up behind me to get it! :signs1180lq:

Just an update on what the ammo is. I was reading a post by 10% over at calguns and they listed the ammo as Winchester Q3131. That is 55gr FMJ. He also listed a price of $11 a box or $10 a box if you buy 500 rnds. From what I am finding, that is about as good a price as you will find these days. I just don't know if I need/want a bunch of FMJ. I think I will pick up 3-5 boxes though for targets/sighting in. That way I don't have to expend my precious Winchester 45gr varmint (though if the lead ban goes through I won't be able to use them).

#16 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thats why I reload, 55 grain nosler spitzer.

Wenchester white box 50 gr soft points got tierd of not finding them Thats what got me reloading . reloads are same speed and bullet.

hey, those of you reloading .223, once you have all the equipment (I have a Lee Turret press I have never setup) how much does it cost you per finished round?

#17 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

Just an update on what the ammo is. I was reading a post by 10% over at calguns and they listed the ammo as Winchester Q3131. That is 55gr FMJ. He also listed a price of $11 a box or $10 a box if you buy 500 rnds.

I stopped by the shop at 2:20 p.m. today and there was big delivery truck there and the driver was walking around looking for anyone who would accept the order. I asked him what he had and he said, "ammo". A note on the door said, "delivery man, call me and I will be there in 10 minutes, Wes". Forgot to mention yesterday that Dean said they were taking a three-day holiday and going pig hunting.FMJ? Forget it! Got more than I will ever shoot.

#18 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Black Hills blue box in the 50 grn V-Max. Works well on coyotes and ground squirrels if it is all that is handy. I actually prefer the 60 grn V-Max for coyotes but it just doesn't shoot out of my favorite coyote gun. 50 grn groups much better and that is more important than a touch more energy downrange anyway. I was shooting the moly bullets for a while but they were out of stock so I've been ordering the regular, seems to shoot just fine. UPS man just brought me some more tonight. I order from Midway, I've seen Cabela's has them as well. One of my buddies shoots Ultramax reloads with a 50ish grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and those seem to be good rounds as well.Ammo prices sure have gone up a bunch. I was in a Sportsmens Warehouse for the first time yesterday and I'm just hoping they are expensive, because 17hmr ammo shouldn't be $13 box! I can (or could the last time I was there a few months ago) buy it off of the shelf at Bi-Mart for 9.99/box and no tax.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#19 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

I stopped by the shop at 2:20 p.m. today and there was big delivery truck there and the driver was walking around looking for anyone who would accept the order. I asked him what he had and he said, "ammo". A note on the door said, "delivery man, call me and I will be there in 10 minutes, Wes". Forgot to mention yesterday that Dean said they were taking a three-day holiday and going pig hunting.FMJ? Forget it! Got more than I will ever shoot.

Yeah I guess I should have told you they were closed today when you accidentally called me. :rolleyes: I was there at 12 when they were scheduled to be open, Wes was there, but not open and clearly in a hurry. He told me he was closed, but if I knew what I wanted and was quick he could do it. I was in and out in less than a minute with my C-products 10rd mag. :lol:

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

hey, those of you reloading .223, once you have all the equipment (I have a Lee Turret press I have never setup) how much does it cost you per finished round?

I don't know the cost but it is worth it. You can really find what your gun likes reloading. I just started a few months ago I like it.I have lee to it works good for me for what I do.

#21 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

I've never broke it down and figured it out. I imagine it's probably alot cheaper than most factory varmint ammo but I really do it to gain accuracy.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#22 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

I guess if you are doing a lot of competition or target shooting, the improved accuracy would be justifiable. For me, so far, factory ammo has been good enough for varmints/hunting. I'm sure we all lead busy lives, but I have to struggle to get time to shoot. That's why I have never setup my Lee stuff, I just don't have the time to reload. Though I am finding my youngest (3 yrs old) loves hanging out in the garage and playing, so if I was reloading while my 3yr old was playing....my wife would love the break from 3yr old madness. :DWith this whole Lead Ban dog poop right on our heals, I guess I am going to have to shoot the barnes stuff, and I am sure it will be cheaper to reload.

#23 fyregoose

fyregoose

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I hand load my own and use 40GR nosler BTBT 27.5 GR benchmark and it does the trick for bkoth yotes and squeeks.Goose
GOOSE

#24 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

Only thing mine has shot is a moly coated 55 gn vmaxAnd it minces the squeeks pretty good nothing else yet. Oh has gotten a few rabbits.

#25 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

I guess if you are doing a lot of competition or target shooting, the improved accuracy would be justifiable. For me, so far, factory ammo has been good enough for varmints/hunting. I'm sure we all lead busy lives, but I have to struggle to get time to shoot.............

Once you get into reloading for accuracy you will never be satisfied with factory ammo and "good enough" accuracy. :) Accuracy is always justifiable no matter what shooting sport you're into. A .223 that will shoot .25 groups will kill more squirrels, further out, than say a .22-250 or .220 swift that only shoots .70 groups.I got one of those portable reloading stands from Midway and I drag it into the living room. This way you can pop in a video for the kids to keep 'em occupied while dad cranks out some ammo. :rolleyes:

#26 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

I got my stuff in my laundry room I can lock myself in and its quit and load away. I got a lee hand primer I prime while watching tv. Reloading is like tying your own flies ( Perfection.) Relaxing . and habit forming. And dos not take that long once you get a system and set up. To answer the question I shot coyotes with the Remington 50 grn hollow pts and the Win white box spts they all killed the same. I think shot placement is more important .
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

If you can get your hands on Winchester White Box with the 45 gr. hollow points you can go wrong. They have to be one of the most accurate manufactured rounds available. Plus they are priced very reasonably. I think everyone here that's shot them will agree with what I've said.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#28 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

They are great. I used to shoot them when I was to lazy to load ammo or when I was about due for a new lot of brass. Damn things are rare as hens teeth anymore though.

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

That's true about being hard to find now Matt. Winchester seems to be using that equipment to keep our guys in the military supplied these days.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#30 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

These are rough numbers based on .223 1 pound of powder (Varget) will roughly produce 271 cartridges depending on charge but as other components are based on the 100's mark we'll run w/ the cost of consumables for 200 rounds produced.Powder - $16. Bullets - $36 Brass - $40 Primers - $7. ------ $99 10 boxes Hornady Vmax 55gr = $16 (sale price) / 20 rounds = $160. So for 1000 rounds of custom loaded ammo that will guarantee me the best accuracy out of my gun I will save $300. Savings are substantially less comparing against bulk FMJ but that's not a like comparison.This does not take into account the recycling brass nor the initial buy in of equip. which could be from $80 to $250 for a complete basic kit. The savings increase significantly when larger calibers are used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users