8 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

Tumbled some brand new Win 223 brass in my new RCBS vibrating case cleaner with new Lyman corn media (pre-treated) for 8 hours. I didn't buy any case polisher because the Lyman stuff says it's pre-treated. The brass came out less bright than it was new. It has a light smokey grey look to it and the once light lime colored media now looks grey. What the heck? I was under the impression that corn media was supposed to polish it up real nice? It looks worse now than it did out of the bag.Also, how many times do you guys re-use tumbling media? One batch and then toss it? I've heard several people say that one hopper full of media will last a LONG time just add more polishing agent. Then why does it come in large 6lb and 8lb containers? ;)

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

First of all, why are you tumbling new brass! ;) Second get some plain ground corn cob no polish added if you want a real shine. I use ground walnut shell with a little polish on very tarnished cases. If they're a little tarnished you can use your corn cob with polish. After I case size and deburr the flash hole and primer pocket I toss them in with the plain corn cob and they come out shiny clean minus the sizing lube too. B) Yes you use the media over and over and over again. I usually lose enough to replace a little at a time without throwing out a whole batch. The walnut shell can get pretty rounded and I've chucked it out.That smokey gray you are seeing is the brass acting with the polish. If you take those an rub them with a towel they'll shine like a dime in a pigs butt. That's why you need some plain, no polish corn cob. B) Make sure you cases are well covered with media in the tumbler too. I can't tell you how many people I see overload their tumblers. :o

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

First of all, why are you tumbling new brass!

Because I'm waiting for my RCBS micrometer dies to come in the mail and I can't just sit around and do NOTHING with all this fancy new equipment I have... ;) Gotcha.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

I know it's difficult to sit still when you have new toys that need playing with. Does it make sense to you about the gray color being the polish acting with the brass. You can put those cases in a towel closing both ends and see-saw them to polish them. Or do it one at a time. ;) But I prefer the uncharged corn cob media, less work and a nicer job. B)

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:20 AM

Haven't you ever heard that expression before? B) Actually it's, "Shine like a dime in a pigs a$$." ;)

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

why would anybody put a dime there? :rolleyes:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

why would anybody put a dime there? :rolleyes:

To see how shiny it was, of course! :lol: :P

#8 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Hey, how come some of us get to say "Pigs Butt".But I can't use my favorite word :rolleyes: By the way thats Purty Funny, I've already memorized it :P but you should get out of the barn more often :lol:

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

He cheated and used $'s instead of S's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users