11 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hey guys, I am itching to get out of the house this week. I am trying to let the yotes live until they are ready to offer up their puppies to me :ninja: I am thinking of heading out around Bakersfield. I don't have too much time to go too far. My brother-in-law says he knows a nice spot near the bottom of the gravevine fishing the CA aquaduct. (North of Tejon) I haven't fished much in my life. (enough to know how... just not well) So, I am looking for info on the aquaduct this time of year. What gear to use, times, etc, etc. Any help would be awesome. Please be detailed... I am planning on taking a trip over to walmart tomorrow to stock up. (think I'll look for a new rod & reel too, anyone see the ones at Costco? $30) Anyone else have a better place to go? Maybe within an hour of bako? (4x4 access ok) We are planning to head out early (sunrise) maybe stay until noon or so?All thoughts appreciated.

#2 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

Another thought... we could probably go out Thursday evening/night instead of Friday AM if that would be better. Not sure what laws CA has on night fishing though?

#3 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:47 AM

You can fish almost anywhere a road crosses the aquaduct. There is access to the aquaduct all around Taft and Maricopa. There are "step throughs" in the fence bordering the aquaduct made for fishermen. A note of caution, read the fishing regs well before going and ask F&G if you have questions. F&G makes a living off of busting folks fishing without a license and having under size striped bass. Won't be long before lead is banned for use in fishing sinkers the way things are going. :signs165xk:
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Won't be long before lead is banned for use in fishing sinkers the way things are going

Yep, someone needs to step up an protect the Condors! I am sure some tree hugger will write a research paper on the semi-aquatic Condor soon after reading this. The state will of course jump on the bandwagon and ban everything! :signs165xk: I don't think I'd worry about getting caught with anything too small. I am catch and release in CA. You guys do know that the aquaduct is a bathtub and TOILET for thousands of people right? If not, you have never been to Glamis... hot and dirty and only one source of water... yep the aquaduct. I am sure the most popular fish in that waterway is the wrinkle-neck brown trout. :drinks: Anyway, looks like Friday AM... so what kind of gear? Bait, lures, etc? Hook size?

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:50 AM

:drinks: :yahoo: Wrinkle neck brown trout :653: :censored[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

are you talking about MR.Hanky aq LOL I think the water is cleaner over here we are north of you. try some chicken liver and sardines . Put the weight at the bottom or use a slider weight .

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

Chicken liver or ancovies , The waters ok up here. Fish the turns and gates.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Dont forget to pick some oranges! just kidding, I hear good things about htat spot there. I been there a few times but to kill rabbits, bring a shotgun for if you see any!
If Your Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tuff!

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hot Dogs.... great bait for big Catfish... and if you use Frozen Anchovies, Frozen Sardines.. "popcicles" take along some Magic thread.. make them work for the Bait.. It really works well.. also take a little Squid with ya.. stays on the hook, and catches everything from Cats to Sturgeon! But then your results may vary... Good Luck !
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#10 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have not made it out there yet, things keep coming up. But soon I'll go try it out.

#11 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:01 AM

My favorite spot is up the canyon in the kern river. Up where the turns get really sharp, I'll pull over and park in a good turn - out and hike/slide/fall my way down to the river. Lots of trout and small mouth bass. I usually get the best results on small spinners. Last time i worked about a mile & a half strech up & down, took about 2 & a half hours. took 8 or 9 fish, and it's pretier than the aquaduct.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#12 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the info sagedog. I had wondered about that area. It sure is a lot prettier than the aqueduct spots I have seen! I have only been through there a couple times since I moved here. Are laws I need to deal with? (other than fishing license) It was all be catch and release. Send me a PM if you want to go out some time soon. I'll be free Sat, Sunday afternoon, as well as most of next week. I'll drive... you navigate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users