13 replies to this topic

#1 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

during my lurking and reading the many posts, most folks appear to have mounts/bipods on/under their rifles.I would hate to do this to my M70 243obviously, it helps with stability and long range shootingcan you still take coyotes and other critters while prone w/o bipods?I'm used to freestanding/holding the rifle, but this is all new to meno, I'm not a great shot, just curiousare bipods the best way to go?does anyone here not use the bipods?

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

I'm not a fan of attatched bipods while hunting because it can be difficult to move the rifle from one side to another if you need to. You never know where ol wiley is going to come from. Theh legs always seem to hang up on brush, branches, etc. Plus I typically hunt on uneven hilly terrain, and having a fixed bipod makes it tough to level things out quickly. I use a pair of shooting sticks instead. They're not attached to the rifle, so movement is easy while sitting etc. Mine are homemade, fashoned after Varmint Al's "Bi-Fur Pod" but customized a little. They work awesome. The down side is that it's one more thing to carry around all day. I bought a nice pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks with aluminum shafts that break in half for easy carry. They're neat, but the tiny little shafts sink right into the soil under the weight of my rifle. It's really bad in the soil where I hunt, and even worse during the rainy season. The shafts slowly sink further and further in to the mud. I stopped using them and went back to my homemade shooting sticks because of this.For prone, I use a mini pair of homemade shooting sticks. They work great! Here's some pics.For sitting:Posted ImageFor prone shooting:Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

I like shooting sticks too. My rifle is heavy enough so I don't want anything else hanging on it. Bi-pods can be great in many circumstances. But I find shooting sticks can be used in many more with less downside. It's all personal preference and people will swear both ways one is better than the other. The shooting sticks like Stiff Neck made are from plans on Varmint Al's site who is a member of our club by the way. I'd try those first as they are inexpensive to make and you may just like them. Then you can always go to a bi-pod later as it will cost you much more. Also, if you get a bi-pod get one that swivels as it's easier to move and follow your quarry. :lol:

#4 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

thanks for the input, wasn't trying to start a squabble between membersI like to go out in the desert, and since last years rains, all of the brush is upa lot higher, which makes prone almost impossible, can't see clearlyI almost need to sit on a large rock or the side of a hill for long/better viewsthe shooting sticks are a good idea, I hadn't thought of thatthey might be better for methanks to all

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Try going to Varmint Al's page and look at the sticks he shoots with. They can be used sitting down or even standing. Very interesting and very easy and inexpensive to make. http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

I plan on getting a mono-pod though with a large ?Y? on the top as a rest

Steve you can build one for less than $20. The instructions need to be updated, but you will get the idea. I bought a larger U shaped screw at lows that was wider and much heavier duty. I also bought a pair of cheap bicycle handle grips and put one on the top of the pole under to hold onto. That is what I use when we run a light at night so we can see over the brush.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

I have a couple photographers mono pods and I tried using them because they're strong and yet fold easily. I don't care for mono pods because they sway side to side. A set of shooting stick you bear down on and lean into on any slope. JMO :lol:

#8 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

I personaly don't use them. I shoot 99% of the time from a solid sitting position and use my sling. Ocassionaly from the prone position. This is coyote hunting and not squirrel shooting. And the ranges I shoot coyotes is seldom over 100 yards. Just more stuff to pack about. But at the ranges I shoot coyotes I don't see any need for them...Walt

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

I wish I saw them at under a 100 yards. The rice and stubble field I hunt are too open. Ok it's like BIG squirrel hunting just greater distances. :lol:

#10 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

I use the Harris 28S.Like Steve, they can adjust for uneven ground and the "S" portion of the product number denotes that the rifle can be swiveled (more correctly - canted) about ehhhhh 25 or so degrees off of level right/left.It is a pretty neat setup for uneven ground and being able to level the rifle without messing around much with the leg length.I also used this bipod when shooting GS units in Cedarville. It worked great from a sitting position. I popped 'em out to about ehhhhh 100 - 125 yards with this rig while in the sitting position. I did manage to drop a 'Yote in Nevada that Walt called in for us. On the down side (same hunting trip with Walt) . . . he called one in up a dry wash. Steven and I didn't choose our cover wisely. There was Sage brush between us and the 'Yote Walt called in. The only option was to stand and take an offhand shot.NOT so good with a 28" pendulum swinging from your rifle's forend . . . couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle that way . . . LOL!! :rolleyes: The story would have been different if we only selected a spot with a little less cover . . . one dead 'Yote. DOH!! :lol: I like my bipod and am THINKING about making a BiFurPod just to try it out. The nice thing about the Harris, it folds up and stays a-hooched to the rifle so you don't have to carry it.My buck 3-eighty.Kevin------------------------------------------- Walt (in green cammo) Kevin (in desert cammo . . . note the bipod) & Dead 'Yote (in uhhhhh dead cammo . . . smirk)Posted Image

#11 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Like Stiffneck I made my own Sticks.I used 1/2 in. Copper Pipe and a bolt with a cap screw, works great.And it is very light

#12 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:22 PM

I just use a tight target shooters sling but I shot a lot of smallbore competition in middle school and highschool and shot on the RCT 7 rifle and pistol team so thats what I'm used to. Just use whatever your comfortable and confident with. Shooting is 90% mental and 10% physical.

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

I hunted predators for many years without any shooting support other than my knees. When I started missing more often than I liked, I swiched to shooting aids & my hits improved dramatically. Especially on the long(er) shots. My friends & I love Stoney Point Monopods. They are much quicker & quieter than any other support, especially when having to suddenly change positions, turning to the left, right or rear for your shot. I find the monopod extremely stable, especially with my "12" pound 22-250 anchoring it to the ground. lol (& is why I like heavy rifles for predators, but that is another topic). Two of my partners and I have used all three, Harris bipods, Stoney Point shooting sticks in both the bipod & monopod, and for us it is absolutely the monopod. But, hey, everyone has their own favorites. For mule deer my friends and I always use Harris bipods attached to the rifles. Good Luck in Your ChoiceFrank

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

I think they all work ,its what you get used to. I use both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users