Photo

Lee Deluxe Dies vs. Pacesetter / H4831(SC)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Two questions:1. Debating on buying the Lee Pacesetter dies vs the Deluxe dies. Deluxe are carbide, but the Pacesetter have the factory crimp die for my .270. These are all hunting loads. I know most of you guys like RCBS and Redding dies, but I am asking about the Lee dies specifically.2. Looked around and consensus seems to be with H4831 for .270 and .30-06 loads. My other question, is there much difference between H4831 and H4831SC. I know the powder is a shorter cut, but does it make a big difference load data based on people's experience on here.Thanks!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

I'm confused. Why would you need carbide dies for bottle neck cases? I can see strait wall cases, learn me please.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

Lee Carbide Deluxe dies are for pistol and revolver cartridge only. The Pacesetter are for bottleneck rifle cartridge, and it's not carbide. The only die manufacturer that makes carbide rifle dies is Dillon, for their Progressive Press.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

That shows my ignorance. Thanks for clearing that up DF. So with both sets they are 3 die sets. The Deluxe has a full size resizer and a collet neck only resizer and a bullet seater. The Pacesetter only has a full size resizer, a bullet seater, and a factory crimp die. Which would you recommend? This is my first effort at reloading.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

270 is not a hard recoiling cartridge, so crimping is not necessary. If you really like Lee dies, get the RGB 2 dies set for $13.49 at Midway. The rest of the money, which otherwise be spent on the Pacesetter can be use to buy the Lee case length gage and lock stud and cutter for $3.99 and 4.99 respectively. These will be a good start for you since this is your first attempt at reloading.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

Get the set that has the neck sizer. I love that thing. When you want to slam out some practice or varmint ammo it saves you a couple steps. You'll still want to full size your big game hunting ammo though.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

I went over to the Bass Pro Shop and they only had the Pacesetter dies, guess what I ended up getting? I know I can use the full length resizer by backing it off a bit (someone said about the thickness of a nickel) from the shellholder. Still have to lube the cases, but that should save a lot of wear on the cases. I have been reading that if you use an autoloader to full size that ammo. I am asking in regards to .223 for my mini-14. Again, appreciate the help of people on here for all their advice.Darren

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

Yep, you definitley want to full length size for an auto, pump, or lever action. Some people use a "small base" die for autoloader ammo but I haven't had any problems with useing a regular full sizer.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users