• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

Here's my 870 that I plan on useing for yotes and turkeys. Once upon a time I didn't have the cash to buy a deer rifle (or a rifled slug barrel) for an up comeing deer season so I got a smoothbored tube. I never got a deer with it and the barrel was pretty much useless with its IC choke. I recently had it threaded for choke tubes and I think it will make for a very versitile rig. I just got done giving it a rattle-camo job.Posted ImagePosted ImageYou can see the pattern a little better here.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

Looks good!
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

Wow! Looks nice Matt. SO that choke guy treated you ok? :smiley_kewlpics:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

Very nice!
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#5 magshooter

magshooter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

damn thats a rattle can job that looks really nice

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Good looking job again Matt.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

Thanks guys. That gun was pretty much retired to a life in the back of the gunsafe until ShooterJohn told me about the place that did the choke job for me. It wont see as much use as my new wing shooter but at least now it has a purpose built job to handle.

Wow! Looks nice Matt. SO that choke guy treated you ok? :)

They are awsome! They got my barrel back even quicker than they said they would and thier work is top notch. I'd recomend them to anyone.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

great looking set-up. great to get good service.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

Damn, Clamp, poor ole Wiley ain't gotta chance now. I mean is that really fair? :) Just kidding... besides, since when is life fair anyhow? Anyway, GREAT looking shotgun and is going to serve you very well indeed. :rolleyes: Frank

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Did you get the work done by R&D? What choke are you going with?And lastly, do you have a step by step for that rattle can job, cause it looks SAWEET?!?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Yep, R & D did the job for me. I'm not sure about the choke yet. I need to get some #4 buck and pattern the chokes I already have and compare it to the results the other members are getting with some of thier specialty chokes.The camo job is easy. I found the procedure on the CPC forum. First take a clump of bristles (about the size of a big turkey beard) out of a straw broom, tape one end and kinda fan them out, paint the gun one full color, put the "turkey beard over a spot and quickley hit it with your next color, move it over and repeat until the gun is covered, then start over with your last color but leave gaps inbetween the shots of paint. On this gun I used green first, then tan, and finnished with shots of brown where they looked like it needed it.

#12 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

Thanks! I may send my Mossberg 590 barrel in later on.As for the camo, what brand did you use? I have used the Krylon Fusion in the past with good/great results. I'm thinking once my AR is finished, that I may need to camo it. Then it won't be a Evil Black Gun anymore. :signgreatreport3kg:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

You did a good job Matt I like the brown in that camo scheme I think it came out better then the mouser.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Hey Matt, I'll buy the paint, a broom and supply the beer if you'll paint a couple of sections on my truck like that. I've got two panels that run the length of my pickup that Ford's great paint job peeled. I'd like to paint them camo.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

:signs1180lq: By the time I'd get done doing the sides of a pick-up I wouldn't be able to drive home. I was haveing a few beers the other day and I almost got up the gumption to camo my old john-boat........but I ran outta beer. :good: wannakillacoyote-------That krylon fusion camo paint is what I used. I used carb cleaner to degrease the metal fist and it's sticking better than my last gun that I used alcohol on.shoot-it------Thanks Johnny. I used green as the basecoat this time and the colors seemed to stand out better.I picked up a rifled choke tube and a bunch of different slugs and took 'er for a spin today. I did manage to get some pretty good groups with it but that gun is no fun to shoot from a bench! :504:

#16 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

wannakillacoyote-------That krylon fusion camo paint is what I used. I used carb cleaner to degrease the metal fist and it's sticking better than my last gun that I used alcohol on.

Thanks, glad to hear it is something available local and reasonable. Now to commandeer a broom from the kitchen. :good:

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

All we need is a case of beer and some paint and clamp can come over and paint our rifles. I bet your glad you ran out of beer Matt or you would have painted your house to LOL.

#18 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Nice job I bet it gets one. Happy hunting with it. :roflmao3[1]: ;) :pirashoot:
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#19 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

........I bet your glad you ran out of beer Matt or you would have painted your house to LOL.

Or the ol' ladys honda. :signs1180lq:

#20 michigan

michigan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:First Bowhunting, then Michigan Whitetail either way, then a whole lot of everything, California Turkey, Quail, Waterfowl, Blacktail, Pigs, and hopefully Coyote and Elk soon!

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

The Camo job looks great. Lets us know how it patterns, it should be interesting with the shorter barrel. Pretty cool idea.

#21 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Welcome to the forum Michigan. I went to the gunshop today in search of some #4 buck but they didn't have any. :signlol2iu: I did pick up a limbsaver sissy pad for it though. The lil' ba$tard bucks pretty good and the factory pad is almost as hard as the plastic stock it's screwed to.

#22 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

Great job Clamp. :censored[1]: You might want to reload those #4 buck. lots cheeper Well maybe not lots cheeper with the price of shipping lead but cheeper and you can make them realy rock. :drinks: :yahoo:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

I was thinking about it. It would probably be the best way to get the tightest pattern from my gun.

#24 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Nice Job!!! :good: How much do you charge?
"The genuine sportsman is, by all odds, the mostimportant factor in keeping the larger and more valuable creatures from total extinction." THEODORE ROOSEVELTNRA Lifetime Member/DU Member

#25 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

Trust me, it's really easy. There's no need to pay anyone to camo your gun. The hardest part is getting the courage up to take a can of spraypaint to a nice gun.

#26 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Matt- I picked up some Krylon Camo paint last night for that other 870 so I'll probably spray it within the next few days. We need to discuss your hunting license & tag options for this year too. Give me a call monday afternoon if I don't talk to you before then.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#27 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

Alright Wes, we're still waiting for the pics of your gun. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#28 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:05 AM

that was a good job on painting. u said that u bought a wingmaster how does that compare to the 870??? i havent seen the wingmaster so i dont know thx robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#29 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

I didn't get a wingmaster. By "my new wing shooter" I meant the new gun I bought for shooting birds. The wingmaster is an 870. It just has the glossy wood /blueing and a polished bolt. Other than that they're the same gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users