12 replies to this topic

#1 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

When you BBQ smaller wild bird like dove, quail, chuckar, grouse etc., it tends to be a little on the dry side. Thisrecipe will definitely fix that. Ingredients: 8 Birds of your choice 1-pound fresh bacon 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing 1 tablespoon paprika 1 teaspoon ground sage 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder Salt and pepper Marinate birds in Italian salad dressing overnight. Pat dry, season with paprika, ground sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Wrap each bird with bacon slices. If you use more than one slice of bacon to cover the bird match the seams on the same side. Place the birds on a medium-hot grill, bacon seam side down. Cover and grill for 15 minutes. Turn and grill another 15 minutes. Test the bird with a fork, if it is not tender cook an additional 15 minutes. Baked beans, stuffing, fresh vegetables, and bread of your choice would be an excellent complement for this entree. After your birds are done throw the bacon into your pot of baked beans for excellent seasoning. This recipe also works very well with Cornish game hens.

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:36 AM

Italian dressing always works :smiley-sorry: let's that oil soak in...I use it with chicken too!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Italian dressing always works :roflmao3[1]: let's that oil soak in...I use it with chicken too!

This works really well for duck and goose fillets. It's my personal favorite. Bob

#4 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Carry this one step further for duck or goose breasts. Cut the breasts up into bite size pieces. Then slice up a jalapeno into strips and then place the slice of chile next to the piece of duck or goose breast. Wrap with bacon, hold it all together with a toothpick and throw on the BBQ. Indirect heat works best. When the bacon gets fairly crisp serve. You will be amazed at how the meat has taken on the flavor of steak.Another thing you can do is just put the chile next to the breast meat and hold it together with a toothpick and dip it all in pancake batter. Either deep fry it or fry it in oil. Mm-m-m-m-m good. When I cook quail on the BBQ I like to use the rotisserie and baste the birds with butter as they turn.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#5 TheJester357

TheJester357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

Gonna have to try that, the pancake batter is a great idea. Now if we could just get them to start a spring duck season........ Bob

#6 Stevieloco

Stevieloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

this is pretty much the same recipe we use out in the desert for our dove. But I slice the breast and stuff in a jalapeno slice . ( 1 or 2 on each side). Then wrap it in bacon. Its hot and tasty.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Another addition is to add a spoonful of cream cheese inside the bacon alongside the jalepeno. We do this with duck, dove and snipe. Marinating overnight in Tequila first doesn't do any harm either. :signtripledogdare2wf:
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

Marinating overnight in Tequila first doesn't do any harm either. ;)

The birds?? :signtripledogdare2wf:

#9 Stevieloco

Stevieloco

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

lol. yeah, we marinated overnight in Captain and Cokes,,, and Red Stripe. Hooray Beer! but seriously, the tequila overnight doesn't give the birds an "alcoholy" taste?

#10 old dog

old dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

Some great Dove recipes.The way I do mine is de-breast them in the field, then when I get them home, I soak them over night in the fridge in salt water. then next day I take a small knife and cut down one side of the breast bone and flay the meat right off the bone. then I do the other side the same way. this is very easy to do after they have soaked in the fridge over night. this leaves you with two pieces of meat about the size of your thumb, with no Bone in it. then when I get ready to cook them I take two pieces and Coat them with brown sugar,then place a small piece of Jalapeno pepper between them and then wrap them with half a piece of Bacon, and then tooth pick them to hold them together. I Then I place them in pan and stick them in the oven until the brown sugar melts, then finish them off on the bar-by. and man do they ever taste great.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Old dog, you are supposed to leave a wing on them until you get them home. Dumb law, but something they can cite you for.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 old dog

old dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

Hey John. That is good to know, I never heard that before. But thats problem.

#13 motransplant

motransplant

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:computers, shooting, fishing, hunting

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

omg that recipe sounds so good :pot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users