• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#91 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Here is my lower with the new Hogue grip on it!!Posted ImageI'm waiting right now for UPS to bring my upper. :censored[1]:

#92 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Those grips are sure nice!

#93 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:54 PM

UPS just showed up!! Man I was like a kid on Christmas morning! I snapped it together and fondled it a bit, then found a spot for it my safe (gettin full) while I go pick up some dinner for me and my son.I'll try to get some pics up tonight and hopefully get the scope mounted. I plan to tear it down tomorrow and give it a thorough cleaning. Man this thing is pretty light. I'll try to get it on a scale tonight for you Woodog. :653: :drinks: :censored[1]: :yahoo: :signs1242cn:EDIT:Here are the pics:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI won't be able to get the scope on until tomorrow night. I'll get some pics up of it finished with scope tomorrow or Saturday. I also need to put the comp on, but I was thinking of waiting and changing it Saturday when out sighting in.Woodog, I have some good news......this thing weighs 6lb 2.7oz with an empty 10rd magazine and no scope. Now if it just shoots well, we will be in business. :)

#94 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

Bump for added pics! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#95 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

It looks very cool! Welcome to the Dark Side! :censored[1]:

#96 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

I like it!!! Can't wait for the range report!

#97 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

That looks good.

#98 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

Woodog, I have some good news......this thing weighs 6lb 2.7oz with an empty 10rd magazine and no scope. Now if it just shoots well, we will be in business. :drinks:

Now that's exactly what I'm looking for. Very, very nice! Bring your parts list Saturday. Are you shooting those photos in your bathroom? :censored[1]: Hey you guys, how long should you let the barrel cool between shots with this thing while sighting in or shooting groups? It's going to be around 70 degrees and sunny tomorrow. My Keltec SU-16A goes away very fast as the barrel heats up.Woodog

#99 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

Now that's exactly what I'm looking for. Very, very nice! Bring your parts list Saturday. Are you shooting those photos in your bathroom? :censored[1]: Hey you guys, how long should you let the barrel cool between shots with this thing while sighting in or shooting groups? It's going to be around 70 degrees and sunny tomorrow. My Keltec SU-16A goes away very fast as the barrel heats up.Woodog

Will do. :drinks: Those pics are actually in my office. :yahoo: I talked with Killem all (he has a top loading AR with a 16" barrel) he has posted some nice groups when out sighting in his. He said he had let the barrel cool for 5-10 minutes when he shot his good group of 4. He said it was approx. two seconds between shots.I may try to pick up another type/box of 223. I only have the 45gn Winchester Varmints and I wanted to somewhat compare accuracy once this thing is sighted in.Hey just in case I forget to bring it on Saturday:Parts List:DPMS LPK -- a guy on AR15.com $52Adjustable stock -- Derek dhobkirk@hawaii.rr.com on AR15.com $50 (got a discount for military)Stag-15 Model 3H Pre-Ban Flat-Top 16" Barrel Chrome Lined 1-9 -- AR15Sales.com $449Hogue Pistol Grip -- MidwayUSA.com $15 Levang Comp (Haven't added yet) -- MidwayUSA.com $25C Products 10rd Mag -- AR15Sales.com $18Millet Angle-loc High Rings -- Natchezss.com $20Bushnell Browning 3-9x40 Scope (same as Elite 3200) -- Natchezss.com $130For a grand total of:$794 without Optics$944 with Optics

#100 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

I think 10 Percent sells the BB, extended take-down pin and a mag as a set for a little discount if anyone else wants to go that route on their build. Just FYI.

#101 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

That is so evil! :censored[1]: Looks awesome man, get out there and shoot it!!! We need a full report.I need to decide on an upper and get going on mine!

#102 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:08 AM

I just checked the UPS tracking for one of my new toys and I see it is on the truck for delivery! I have a 20" Shilen barrel that has been heavily fluted and chambered in 6 x 45 on the way for an AR upper build that I am going to attempt. I have all of the parts sitting here and will start putting my barrel together this weekend as time and honey-do's permit! I'll start a new thread with pictures of the build process.

#103 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see some pics. :signs1180lq:

#104 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

I just checked the UPS tracking for one of my new toys and I see it is on the truck for delivery! I have a 20" Shilen barrel that has been heavily fluted and chambered in 6 x 45 on the way for an AR upper build that I am going to attempt. I have all of the parts sitting here and will start putting my barrel together this weekend as time and honey-do's permit! I'll start a new thread with pictures of the build process.

What can brown do for you? :signs1180lq: Man I have never been happier to see that guy. :DLook forward to seeing the new build.

#105 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Quick update. I got the upper all cleaned up an lubed. I installed the Bushnell scope, but it looks as though the Millet High rings are just not high enough. My front objective is barely clearing the handguards and when bringing the rifle up and sighting it isn't natural. It's as if I have to push my face down and my cheekbone is pushing on the stock. I still plan on sighting in tomorrow as I have been looking forward to it. At least I will get to see what kind of groups it will do. I just hope I don't come back with a black eye. :rolleyes: I think I will order a riser, hopefully everything isn't too high then with the riser and the high rings. I always wondered why guys were mounting there scopes soo high on AR's (I had only used them with open sights til now). Now I guess it akes sense. It also just clicked in my head why the iron sights on a standard AR are so high. It's so you can get a good comfortable cheek weld.Woodog....The weight with the scope and rings added is 7lb 5oz!! Add the weight of 10rnds and you have the total weight. :)PS I was going to try to remove the A2 Flashider and put my levang comp on, but that A2 is a b%#@h to get off. I don't have a vise or the upper block that I guess is needed to remove these.

#106 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

Had her out again showing my father-in-law so I decided to snap a couple pics.Now with Bushnell Browning scope:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#107 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:17 PM

Your rifle looks really cool/evil. I wish I had gotten a stag upper with no front sight like that. Maybe we can get out sometime and shoot them together.

#108 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

Aright guys here is the range report:Me and Woodog went out and did some sighting in. Thanks Woodog again for the spot/help/bench etc. :P We got his bench and Lead Sled setup, got his range finder out and setup at the 100yd mark. Man he's got all the cool toys. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I started getting some rounds down range and we got it pretty much dialed in, but I couldn't get any good groups. I just couldn't get comfortable with the low scope and that Lead Sled. I guess my neck is too stubby to get around the sled and low enough to see properly. Soo, I took a break and we focused on Woodog sighting in his Tikka .243 and then the Mossberg (looks to be patterning pretty good with that red dot and 3 1/2" Dead Coyote rnds). Once the Scattergun was dialed in, I wanted to put a few more rounds through my AR.This time I setup on a fold up table, a fold up stool and used my backpack and a towel as a front rest. I fired one shot at a lower target to be sure I wasn't way off. That shot was in the 9 ring, so I went to other target and shot 5 rnds. If my measurements are correct (I went from center to center on the farthest two shots) it was approx 1 1/2" @ 100yds 45gr HP Winchester Varmint. Good enough for me, If I would have had my shooting bags, I think i could have gotten it a bit tighter. As for ammo I used 17 rnds of Winchester M193 FMJ (thanks again Woodog) to do the sighting and then I put 6 rnds of Winchester 45gr HP Varmint through it.Posted ImageOne thing that may pose a problem are dents/markings on the sides of the casings. I noticed them when picking up the brass, they seem to be more significant on the FMJ brass than the 45gr HP. Not sure if the reasoning is the case difference between the two ammo loads or if it is the fact that the 45gr were the last ones I shot.M193 FMJ on the rightPosted Image45grn HP on the leftPosted ImageTake a look and let me know what you guys think. Also wondering if it is reloadable now that it is dented.Either way, I am sold on this rifle. It is the perfect weight, I am happy with the scope height now that I have shot it (just have to figure out how to get my flip up scope cover on the objective (that thing is really close to the handguards).One last thing, I didn't have the tools to get my flash hider off and put my Levang Comp on, but I pretty much shot without Hearing Protection most of the day. If I was going to be shooting it as much or more than I did today I will use Hearing protection, but for hunting it's not that bad. :)EDIT: By the way, Woodog had a trigger pull scale.....my AR came in at 8.125 lbs. I think that's a pretty good group for 8+ lbs. :crazy:

#109 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

so if i get one of these bullet buttons it would be legal to build an ak?

They make a bullet button for AK style rifles. There are a ton of them on calguns.net.Speaking of personalized plates, most shooters recognize mine:<---------------------------It's my avatar

#110 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

After some research on google as well as ar15.com, I guess the dents are normal. They are caused by the case deflector. They are also reloadable. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Soo I am good to go.

#111 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

Those dents don't happen on all AR's but you are correct as to their cause. The reason the ones are different is the load difference in the two rounds. Usually the hotter or heavier rounds come out with more force and are dented more. They'll be fine to reload.

#112 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:26 AM

They'll be fine to reload.

Didn't you mean they won't be fine and that he should just send them to me so I can dispose of them properly?

#113 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant! :rolleyes:That's right your new barrel will be using necked up .223 brass. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#114 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

haha, please send me your address so I can send you all my "unusable" brass. ;)

#115 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Shooter for the Title change. :good:

#116 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Sure thing! :good:

#117 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Alright folks, I added a few more upgrades. I added the following:Levang Muzzle CompensatorPower Custom Extended Charging Handle LatchMagPul Industries MIAD Enhanced Trigger GuardThe A2 Flash Hider was on there pretty good. I had to heat up the A2 with a lighter, and while I had My AR clamped to my workbench (I clamped it at the Gas Block) I got it off with a wrench. The levang went on smoothly and I was able to re-use the Crush Washer. I hand Tightened it, but if it loosens in the future, I will just Blue Loctite it on.The Charging handle was much easier than I thought it would be. After a trip to Harbor Freight for a 1/16" punch, it was a breaze to swap. Let me tell you what an improvement this is. If you are putting a Scope on your AR this or one like it (The Badger one is real popular) is a MUST HAVE!The last thing I added was the Magpul trigger guard. It was as simple as knocking out the roll pin and putting it in.I had all these parts from my initial build purchase, I just haven't had the time or tools to get them on.Here's some new eye candy. I thought I would try to make the pics a little nicer. :signs1180lq:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#118 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

Looks great, but where's the Timney trigger? :signs1180lq:

#119 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

You tell me. :signs1180lq: Heard anything from Carey?

#120 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Alright guys, here is the latest. We were supposed to do some shootin and some stands today, but things came up. ;)Soo, I decided to break out the can of Tan Krylon Camo paint.I no longer have an "Evil Black Gun" :signs1180lq:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI may add some other colors later on to Camo it up, but I really like the tan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users