• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hey guys me again. :)OK I am in the process of building a AR for general varmint work and to hopefully be my main carry around Yote rifle. It will be a Carbine, so 16" barrel, adjustable stock and lightweight. I'm still trying to decide whether to get a complete flat-top or go with the flip down removable sight with the front post. I am leaning towards the flip down rear sight, a gas block on the front with a removable front sight. So I think I have the iron sights figured out, but I want some sort of optics. I already have a cheapy BSA red dot I picked up at wallyworld to play with years ago. I also have a Simmons WTC18 6.5-20x50AO scope I was planning to put on my next bolt gun in 204 or 243.Anyway, I could use the WTC18 (maybe overkill for around here plus a little much for a carbine) or the cheapy red dot or pick up another scope. Maybe something in the 3-9X40 flavor?After talking with Woodog at 10percent the other day he mentioned the terrain around here doesn't really require long range 200+ yds shots and that most of the stuff would be 100yds or less. At that distance I know my WTC18 is too much.Whatya guys think?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

Lots of options... 3-9x40 would be nice. I went for the 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmaster on my Tikka and it is over-kill for the stuff I have seen.

#3 Robairto

Robairto

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

I put this one on my Bushmaster predator upper:BURRIS scopewith these rings:Burris ringsIt should be a nice combo for 50-200 yd shots.. I haven't shot it yet as my AR has a dissipator upper right now on it. My AR is reg here but I decided to buy a FAB10 to hunt with here in order to eliminate hassles.

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

I just had another thought. I have a 3.5-10X40 Whitetail Classic I picked up used a few years ago. I may just put that on my AR.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

I agree with Elvis in going with just a 3 x 9 scope. The open sites are extra money that could be put into a better quality piece of glass.

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Can't decide between a red dot or magnified scope? Why not both... Mueller I've got an Eradicator on my flat top varmint upper. Good clear optics.

#7 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Get a 3-9x40 for general use or get the 3-9x50 for an occasional night outing. I use nothing but Burris on my guns and have never had an issue. I am also building an AR with an A3 upper. I am putting a A.R.M.S. 19 flip mount with a Burris 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it. IMO There is no need for anything more, especially on an AR chambered in 223 for coyotes. My brother uses a 4.5-14x42 Burris on his 6.8, but that's another story.

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I am putting a A.R.M.S. 19 flip mount with a Burris 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it.

Do you have a link to the mount?You are building a flattop right? Why not just use rings attached to the top rail?I have been looking at those Fullfield II's. They have great reviews. I have also been looking at the Bushnell Browning scopes. These are supposed to be the same as the Elite 3200's. http://natchezss.com...rodID=BH883940M pretty nice for $130.I'm planning on using my Whitetail Classic for now. It's a decent scope, and I am running out of $$. :roflmao3[1]:

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

I bet Natchez SS sells out of that scope soon.

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

All this AR talk has me in a tizzy. Thanks to you guys and your totally accurate ARs, I gone an done ordered a new Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit upper. Rock River UpperIt's gonna take 6 to 12 weeks to arrive but it's worth the wait. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3200 3X9 with firefly reticle on my 243 and it's a great scope for the bucks. Very clear and the firefly is great at night. I'm thinking the same scope on the new AR build.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

What lower are you getting?

#12 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

I've been looking at that for my varmint upper as well. I'm building one varminter and one super sexy, tacticool, hallway blaster. I've heard really good things about that upper. RRA built it as a 1" at 100 yard barrel and apparently a lot of people are seeing it pull .25 and .50.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

I bought a Spike's Tactical lower Heath and I'll incorporate a CA approved mag release. I also went for the Timney trigger assembly because I read a lot of good things about it. A buddy living in TN (he moved from Kalstan) has built 5 RRA rifles and he raves about their accuracy and quality. I'll probably be doing a Dura Coat camo job on the entire rig when finished. You guys are to blame for this sudden flight from bolt to gas. By the way, it was nice to finally meet you at our PCOC meeting last week.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#14 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:55 AM

Just got off the phone with my upper supplier. It's sitting on the bench waiting to be test fired and then it'll ship out today! :pirashoot: Posted Image
Sheldon

#15 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:16 AM

No spiral fluting - straight fluting. I've heard there's some 'issue' with them doing the spiral fluting anymore. ShooterJohn has this same upper with spiral in black. I got mine in Mossy Oak and I opted for a black upper receiver so it would match my black lower better.
Sheldon

#16 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

I put a fixed 10x on my AR...love it..

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

I ended up getting the Bushnell Browning scope I posted about above. These things are really nice. I plan to buy another for my .243 Tikka I hope to be getting in about a month. <_< My friend also bought one and agrees that this is a great buy. He's usually very particular about his scopes (usually only buys in the $300 or more range), but he really liked these and recommended it to his son as well.

#18 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

A 3-9x40mm Burris Fullfield II is a PERFECT match to a 5.56mm AR-15, doubt not. At thirty yards, at four power, no one could possibly miss, even me with my eye cataracts.

#19 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:54 AM

Had my cataracts removed last October and all I can say is that you won't be sorry. :signbummer8tl: It is amazing what I wasn't seeing before the surgery. Good luck.SteveH
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users