#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Who makes best terrain tires for 4x4 Ford Ranger. I want to drive login roads and must drive to work most days of the century. Is there a big difference? Want to keep the noise down. Once had Mud and Snow tires those were unbearable sold them on Craig's list

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

I've had BFG's, Nittos, Swampers, Toyos, Coopers, and Uniroyals. The noise doesn't bother me so I prefer the BFGoodrich Mud Terrains but the BFGoodrich All Terrains are excellent all-season tires that are quiet, handle well on & offroad, and you can get alot of miles out of them. Cheapest place to get them is at America's Tire. I'm considering the Procomp Mud Terrains next time since they are similar to the BFG Muds but the center lugs of the Procomps are siped and the outer lugs are ready for studs. Whatever you do, stay away from the Nittos! They use a soft compound and I only got about 15,000 miles out of mine before I had to replace them.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

I have Michelin Tires on both of my 4X4's and have for years. They last a long time and are quiet with good traction. Look at them at Sam's Club or Costco. If you want more super aggressive tires you're going to get more road noise bad balance and short life.

#4 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

I have Michelin Tires on both of my 4X4's and have for years.

I forgot, had Michelins on my '84 Blazer when I bought it but they were more of a street tire than anything else. Took me a while to burn 'em off so I assume they would have lasted a long time if I hadn't replaced them with a set of BFG's. For some reason I couldn't even give that set away and I didn't want to pay the tire shop to relieve me of a good set of tires...

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

They've worked well for me on my trucks and SUV's. I don't have to chain up for road closures so that tells me something. My CJ-5 I had more aggressive tires on it but you have to get to and from the hills too. I believe he said he wanted to keep the noise down too. JMO so that's what I gave. I'm older remember, been there and done all that other stuff. Apparently we answered at the same time.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:21 AM

I will put my vote in for the BFG all terrains thats the tire I use for all my trucks that I had.They are a good all around tire and no noise unlike the swamper thornbirds on my jeep LOL geat mud slingers .

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

I've been running Remington Mud Brutes on my trucks for a few years and I like them alot. They're cheap and aren't noisy until they are low on tread and need to be replaced anyhow.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

Remington makes tires to.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

Remington makes everything now. That's why their guns aren't what they used to be. :roflmao3[1]: Did I say that out loud. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Bridgestone Dueller A/T, if you want quiet and some M/S capability. On my third set. Of course I don't try to go places to get stuck. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Yeah Gary that's what four wheel drive is for right. :( To get you buried to the axles. A winch is handy, then you don't need as aggressive of tires to dig you in deeper. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#12 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

Here's another vote for BF Goodrich all terrain KO. I put 285x75 16" LT on my Z71 at 50,000 miles. Now I have 135,000 miles and they are still not at the wear indicator bars. I mostly drive pavement with the occasional foray into the woods or sand. Even now, I can air down these tires to 12psi and go anyplace on sand dunes, because of all the sidewall traction. Lots of Guys in Pismo Beach love to buy used BFG's for this purpose.These tires have served me well and I'll buy another set when they finally wear down.

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

I am running my first set of BFG all terrain tires now and like them so far. This is my first set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users